Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:29:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMt. - climb procedurally generated mountains
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mt. - climb procedurally generated mountains  (Read 2737 times)
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:16:56 AM »

Hi all,

Wanted to share my new game Mt. with you all. You enter the name of the mountain you want to climb, then the game generates a mountain based on the name. Climbing is a matter of jumping, somersaulting, and slingshotting your way up sheer and overhanging rockfaces, trying to land feet first and avoid bouncing off the cliffs and all the way back to the bottom.
PLAY IT HERE

I made this game a while back for the TIGSource A Game By Its Cover Competition, but I've recently rebuilt it in Unity which should make future updates easier to implement.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

EvanGibbs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »

Hey!

I think it's a cool little game.
The controls take a lot of getting used to. It took me a while to really figure out how to move. Once I did I thought it was pretty satisfying when I started to climb up the mountain. Actually landing on my feet felt good! It could still be really difficult to turn just enough because of the ease it takes for the player character to start rotating when you hold down the mouse button.

I got stuck in 3 mountains that I tried because I was trying to go up and to the right, but a mountain ledge would jut out to the left, and I wasn't sure how I could climb it. There weren't any places high enough that I could jump to from the left, and even if I got to the bottom of the cliff, I couldn't really find a way to get on top of it.

The sound effects were really cute and the idea of it generating based off the name given is really cool. Nice stuff! Smiley

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »

I remember playing the old version. I'm not entirely sure what you've changed (apart from the engine, that is). My main issue is that it's unclear when my character will stick and when it won't. Sometimes my feet are perfectly rotated to match the ground and I'll bounce off. It really sucks to be doing well and then suddenly fall all the way down the mountain for no reason. On the flip-side, there are other times where I'll stick while about 70 degrees away from the angle I should be at, so I don't know what's going on there. Angle-comparison issues, maybe?

Other than that, it works well. I kept wishing for a grappling hook to throw, though. It could make for some cool maneuvers where you launch yourself out around an overhang and then grab onto it as you fly by. I guess that would probably make it a very different game, though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:38:14 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
EvanGibbs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »

Oh yeah another thing, maybe the player character could be a different color than the mountain. Maybe even making his feet an even different color so you know where you want him to land. Smiley

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:30:52 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. There's a few things I could do to make controls a bit clearer. Since they're a little different its probably the biggest problem area.

FYI: Click and hold the right mouse button to use a rope that you can use to tackle the overhangs. Should be possible to climb every mountain this way.

Cheers!

AJARTCGA
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:01:07 PM »

So, I played this game yesterday. It seemed interesting enough, so I gave it a go.
After figuring out what to do, I spent a lot longer than I meant to trying to climb several different mountains. You know, because it was the mountain's fault I suck! I got mad, and quit because I was disheartened.

Then today I decided to give it another go. I had tried using the bungee yesterday, but I never really got the hang of it. It is really difficult to get used to. But I kept at it, and generated several mountains (Again, I hate admitting that I suck). Finally I got the hang of it. It took forever, but I finally made it!

Anyway, anecdote over. I really enjoyed your game. Enough so that I had to give it another go today. The controls are easy enough, they just take a while to get used to. But yeah, I love it. I would start doing good, and thinking I was close to the peak. Then one botched jump would send my tumbling down the mountain. It was interesting. I could actually notice the difference as I played the game. When that happened to me at first, I would get mad and gen another map. But the more I played, I realized I need to just get back on my feet, dust myself off, and give it another go. Then, when I finally made it to the top, it felt so rewarding! The little animation actually made my day. It was so simple, yet it captured the pride I had for conquering that mountain. Haha.

Definitely a game I wouldn't mind to play again. And I think I may show my friends! It's always fun to give them a game that is frustratingly hard at first. Thanks!

Follow Team White Sleeve on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WSleeveStudios
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 04:08:05 AM »

@AJARTCGA Thanks for the anecdote, and for passing this game onto your friends! Really glad you like the game and that it provided more gameplay than just the one session.

Any favourite mountains...?

Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 01:28:45 AM »

Nice!

Really like the idea of having to match your rotation to the surface angle, although the jumping made it a little frustrating - maybe have an on-screen indicator of how powerful your jump will be, also maybe tweak the controls to allow the player to rotate in either direction?

Really nice work - can see this being so much fun with some little flailing arms animations as he flies around Smiley

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 03:48:02 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Mya. I'll take another look at the controls, see if there's something I can do to alleviate the annoying bits. I found the power of the jump difficult to judge myself.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic