Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:24:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)PS1 style 3D modeling
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PS1 style 3D modeling  (Read 6839 times)
Saturator
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:29:59 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm a total beginner at 3D modeling and got interested in emulating that PS1 lofi style. I use 3ds Max for modeling. I'm wondering how to get those super sharp edges on stuff and how to triangulate my quads. All other tips are welcome as well!

Here's an example for the style I'm trying to go for: https://24.media.tumblr.com/c37044d8617b2245aa3a68441f2764ed/tumblr_mzrozsNwCR1r43xj0o1_1280.png

Thanks and peace out Smiley
RidiculousJohn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm a total beginner at 3D modeling and got interested in emulating that PS1 lofi style. I use 3ds Max for modeling. I'm wondering how to get those super sharp edges on stuff and how to triangulate my quads. All other tips are welcome as well!

Here's an example for the style I'm trying to go for: https://24.media.tumblr.com/c37044d8617b2245aa3a68441f2764ed/tumblr_mzrozsNwCR1r43xj0o1_1280.png

Thanks and peace out Smiley

Don't use soft shadowing and stick to basic shapes.
arceon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »

I'm a total beginner at 3D modeling...
Feel ya, been there, brother.
Usually you won't be triangulating the quads while modeling. You can leave that part to the exporter. Those sharp edges are done by using primitives with as little subdivisions as possible to get a basic shape. Textures on PS1 models are extremely low-res without any additional maps meaning that all additional effects are emulated on the diffuse map (like ambient occlusion in the image you've given as an example). Hope this helps a bit! Happy learning experience!
Hawt Koffee
Level 1

That's a wild fire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »

nice to see my zombies are still floating around
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:08:44 PM »

don't forget the perspective-uncorrected texture mapping emulation  Blink
Saturator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 03:14:08 AM »

Thanks for the answers guys!

don't forget the perspective-uncorrected texture mapping emulation  Blink

Hmm.. How would I go about doing that?
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 03:48:14 AM »

No idea if 3ds Max has a option to disable perspective correction, but in case it doesn't you can use a HLSL shader with a "nointerpolation" ( "noperspective" in GLSL ) flag on the texture coordinates.
Saturator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 05:22:11 AM »

No idea if 3ds Max has a option to disable perspective correction, but in case it doesn't you can use a HLSL shader with a "nointerpolation" ( "noperspective" in GLSL ) flag on the texture coordinates.

Whoops, I forgot to mention a pretty big factor. I'm gonna export all of the 3ds Max stuff to Unity and build/texture the game there! I guess I should do the perspective stuff in Unity then, right?

I did a search and found this, but I'm not sure at all how and where to input that code into Unity.

And if people have additional lo-fi tips for Unity, they're all welcome too! Wink
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 05:32:56 AM »

Whoops, I forgot to mention a pretty big factor. I'm gonna export all of the 3ds Max stuff to Unity and build/texture the game there! I guess I should do the perspective stuff in Unity then, right?

Both in 3ds Max and Unity. Having to export from 3ds Max to Unity every time you want to check what your model(s) look like without perspective correction isn't very convenient.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 05:45:18 AM »

Is it even worth reproducing this limitation though? It looked horrible and annoying even back then. I'd say that emulating a low resolution and all the pixel jumping that resulted from it are much more important to simulate the original feel (and you can do this by just rendering to a low resolution texture with antialiasing disabled).
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 06:20:36 AM »

I'd say that emulating a low resolution and all the pixel jumping that resulted from it are much more important to simulate the original feel (and you can do this by just rendering to a low resolution texture with antialiasing disabled).

Simply rendering to a low-resolution texture / frame-buffer won't cut it though. The artifact you're referring to occurs because ( for instance ) the Playstation GPU uses ( integer ) vertex coordinates in pixel-space. So on modern hardware you'd need to "snap" your screen-space vertex coordinates to the pixel "grid" in your vertex shader.
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »

Yeah, my uncorrected correction suggestion was a half joke. I guess if you wanted to be totally authentic, you'd do it, but I wouldn't personally. It looks hideous.
Hawt Koffee
Level 1

That's a wild fire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:18 AM »

Don't forget discoloured texture compression, for those zombies you have in the op I used the posterize filter in photoshop on a pretty low setting to set that subtle noisey lossy compression.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 09:31:07 AM »

Those games used paletted textures actually (16 or 256 colors), so rather than posterize you should reduce the total color count instead (in fact, this is probably not far from pixelart). This was done to reduce the amount of memory used by assets.
Saturator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »

Cool, I'm actually texturing some stuff right now. I'll give those tips a try!
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »

Lots of vertex color on top of (mostly) greyscale textures, too.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm a total beginner at 3D modeling]

Okay, keep it that way and you should get the results you're looking for.

cvasquez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »

There are some cool things on sketchfab you can use for reference, I'll take a look later and post some here (currently on my phone). But just model something real simple with a good silhouette, which is whats more important. UV, than use low res textures, which I think were around 128 x 128 or 256 x 256. Also engines like Unity have self lit option that brings out colors.

Twitter: @3xchris
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic