Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:39:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[Greenlight] quadrant - a trippy rhythm game with self adjusting difficulty
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Greenlight] quadrant - a trippy rhythm game with self adjusting difficulty  (Read 1043 times)
undef
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »

Hi!

I'd like to introduce my game "quadrant" to you.

It's easier to explain it once you've watched the

quadrant is a rhythm game, with increasing difficulty depending on how well you play.

Description

This game is quite trippy and it get's harder the better you play, as the animations get more and more intense the higher you score.
Every beat of the song, you have to state the position of the middle sized square - the faster the song is, the faster you have to play. (The stage in the trailer is quite hard, but not the most difficult one.)

Each stage is supposed to be a visual interpretation of the song, therefore every song is animated differently.
Due to that, every stage feels unique and there is a motivation to reach higher scores to unlock more animations.
It also increases the difficulty, because you will first have to get used to the different visual effects you encounter.

But how does this actually work?

There are four possible positions of the middle sized square:
Upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right.
According to the position you will have to press one of four buttons.
If you press a correct button, the score increases by one, if the button is wrong your score will be set back to zero!
The game will start "relatively easy" in the first few stages and then get punishingly difficult later in the game.
If you don't push a button at all, your score will stay the same, but the squares will slowly turn invisible, and cause a game over when they have entirely disappeared.

What about the small square then?

The small square indicates the next position of the middle sized one, and is a huge help.
The next position of the middle sized square is the relative position of the small square in it.
So if the small square is in the upper left corner of the middle sized square, the next position of the middle sized square will be in the upper left of the big square.
I think at certain stages it will be close to impossible to beat the game without paying attention to the small square.

Wow, that is really difficult to read!
I know, I'm sorry.
I always suck at explaining it.^^

Features

- Challenging gameplay
- Very steep learning curve
- Low system requirements
- Fully moddable
- NO digital restrictions management (DRM)

Some inspirations

Super Hexagon, Bit.Trip Runner, Simian Interface

Like what you see?
With your help this game can make it through Steam Greenlight!
Please share this page with all your friends anyone who has a steam account, and we can make this happen!
Thank you very much!

For news and updates check out my website, twitter and indieDB. A demo will be released soon!

Thanks for your time!

undef
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:01:00 PM by undef » Logged

undef
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »

Hey there,
It's been a long time since the last update, Hofstadter's law certainly applies to game develompent... Well, you guys know how it is Smiley

After a week of severe sleep deprivation I finally managed to release a demo on indieDB!

There is a bug in the menu when changing from fullscreen to windowed or back, but it's not game breaking and I will fix it next week.
Well that's what you get from frantic coding...
Which brings us to the source code.
In the current version it is still obfuscated, but I plan to release the source code once I cleaned it up - currently it still looks too much like a hotel room in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

But let me tell you more about the actual demo.
I strongly recommend you visit the training section before diving into the game, because that's the best way to learn the controls and you're still not tied down to a never ending tutorial.

Gamepad controls are supported, and there are several control schemes which are not yet reconfigurable.
You can even play one handedly if you fancy eating christmas sweets while playing, but I recommend a gamepad or W, O, D, K.

This demo logs a lot of things.
After having played at least once, the "EXPORT STATS" selction becomes available in the main menu, which exports a summary of how you and the game performed to your save directory.
On Windows it even opens the folder in your file explorer.
Of course these statistics and graphs only become interesting once you've played for a sufficient amount of time.
If you like, you can share this summary with me (or even everyone else in this forum), to help me improve the game using this data.

That being said, I'm also keen to hear any other feedback on the game and I take criticism well so just go for it!
This game is very important to me and I want to make it the best possible experience.

I'd like to thank the LÖVE community for their support, especially Xelu for those nice button propts, and of course the LÖVE development team... I'm really glad I can use Lua to make this game Smiley

Well, I think I've said everything I haven't forgotten.
I hope you enjoy the demo!

The stats get exported to:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\LOVE\quadrant\export or %appdata%\LOVE\quadrant\export
Windows Vista and 7: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\LOVE\quadrant\export or %appdata%\LOVE\quadrant\export
Linux: $XDG_DATA_HOME/love/quadrant/export or ~/.local/share/love/quadrant/export
Mac: /Users/user/Library/Application Support/LOVE/ quadrant/export

undef
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:24:42 AM »

@Pinklady4128xD made a hilarious let's-play/review of the demo:

undef
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:46:02 AM »

There has been a short article about the demo on AlphaBetaGamer!
Have a look!

undef
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »

Hi everyone!

I've mainly been working on new content since the last update.
There's been a lot of feedback about the game not being accessible enough, and the controls being weird, and I thought about how to fix these issues.

That's why I've released a new demo with rebinable controls and a rhythm training. You can get the demo here!
Let me know what you think of the changes!

Screenshot

The main menu is still rather plain, because I plan to rework it entirely, so I didn't want to spend time improving something that I would later replace.

Not all resolutions are supported yet, so if you don't have a widescreen display, things might look a little funky.

undef
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:26:45 AM »

It's friday the 13th!
For those of you that are not leaving the house today, you're in luck!
I have a relatively safe thing for you to do today:

Try the new beta demo for quadrant!

I'm trying to find out what the human limitations for quadrant are, so I'm calling out to the fastest of you:
How fast can you get you get a streak of 30 in speed training mode?

Make sure not to break your fingers, this is a very dangerous day after all...

undef

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic