Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:00:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMonetization model for packing puzzle games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Monetization model for packing puzzle games  (Read 1123 times)
sanmoy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »

Hi All,

My game is a puzzle game (packing puzzle with 350 stages), 60 stages are free, rest you have to buy. Now, my question is, is it a good model for this type of game?

data : 3000 people downloaded, 15 people bought. Conversion : .5%, 11 people bought hints. (though I give 2 free hints/ 8 hr). I don't have ad placed yet.

Shall I make all stages free and rely on hint purchase/ ad removal for monetization? All other similar games (unblock me, flow free) do not have premium stages. What should be the conversion rate ( purchasing in-app products) for these type of games?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zen-triangle-chinese-board/id823755270?mt=8
http://www.nascentsoftware.com/
MorchellaGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »

I can't answer your question about conversion rates, but I can give you my experience with a puzzle game priced the same way. I had about 100 free puzzles, and two sets of 100 puzzles (Medium and Hard) for 0.99$ each.
I also had hints (100 for 0.99$) and 4 different costumes for the main character (0.99$ each)

All in all, I got about the same amount of downloads as you did (~3k), and a very small conversion rate on these free downloads. I made more money by changing the price of the game from Free to 2$ (sorry, I don't remember how much, just that I made more).

Now, the next few lines are my opinion only, but:

- I think that this model does not work because 60 (or 100) free puzzles is too many free puzzles. Unless your game is seriously engrossing, people (especially those playing free games on their phones) will move on to something else before they hit the free puzzle limit.
- Ads will give you revenue, but you need a lot of downloads to start making OK money. This is especially true if you're going for banner ads, which have very low CPM. Other types of ads give more money, but you still need a lot of downloads. As an example, for our current hardcore RPG on iOS, we made about 125$ in a month showing video ads in exchange for hard currency. We had about 50k downloads with Apple featuring.
- Real free-to-play is a complex design beast that requires more that just try-before-you-buy-the-rest monetization. If you want to make money with F2P, you need to look at what the people who are making money are doing, or come up with another new way of doing F2P.

My puzzle game is no longer on the app store, but the aforementioned RPG is, if you want to check out how we integrated video ads. (I'm not saying we did this correctly, but we tried what other companies seem to be doing)

https://itunes.apple.com/id/app/the-order-of-souls-rpg/id704519056?mt=8

Good luck,

t
Frangomel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »

Hi,

if you want we have platform for doing monetizing in a new way and have community for it. Mostly are chinese. I made a topic for it. Dont want to be offensive but you can look at my topic and maybe you can help us, and we could help you also Smiley

cheers
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic