Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:25:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSword Swing [Physics based melee fighter] (DEMO)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sword Swing [Physics based melee fighter] (DEMO)  (Read 3345 times)
Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »

SWORD SWING
Sword Swing (temporary name) is a physics based melee fighter. You control, or rather shall in the past, a flying vehicle to which you can attach weapons. You fly around with your vehicle to smash other similar vehicles to pieces.

I wish to have cool weapon combos in there that will be awesome to control and smash others with. Also, you can throw stuff, so that's cool. Did I mention you can customize how long the chain your weapon is attached to is?

The possibility of guns or something also exists, so there you go.

>>TRY IT HERE (Windows)<<
>>TRY IT HERE (Mac)<<
Move mouse - Move the ship
RMB - Pick up closest weapon
LMB - Release all weapons
Scroll wheel - Adjust chain size
Up and down arrows - Change mouse sensitivity
R - Reset objects

Thanks for trying!  Beer!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:08:01 AM by Rez » Logged

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »

I remember having a lot of fun with Hammerfight, so this looks cool. I like in the GIF when you fling your weapons. Can you then go and pick them back up?

But your windows demo doesn't work for me: says it's expecting a Swing_Data folder, and not just the bare executable...
Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »

I remember having a lot of fun with Hammerfight, so this looks cool. I like in the GIF when you fling your weapons. Can you then go and pick them back up?

But your windows demo doesn't work for me: says it's expecting a Swing_Data folder, and not just the bare executable...

Hammerfight is the game which inspired me to do this. I loved the controls so much! It won't be the same of course, there's no fun in that... Wink. Yeah, you can pick up your weapon again, wouldn't be any fun if you lost it hehe.

Thanks for the heads up! I've updated the main post with the new files! I'm kinda new to deploying, so lesson learned.

Let me know what you think!

Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »

I've mostly modified the hell out of all parameters and hacked in a few pieces of code to make the weapons a lot more responsive. You should be able to swing them around decently now!
Also, after taking damage for a sustained amount of time, you'll enter a "stunned" mode where you can't do anything and crash to the ground. No graphics yet, though.
Oh yeah, there's cool camera movement in there, smashing stuff should be a lot more satisfying now.

Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »

I introduce to you: destructible environments! And a scene reset, if you want by pressing R.

Smashing the other guys in walls has never been so enjoyable. With other guys I mean the other squares floating around ofcourse.

Andy Rhetoric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »

I had a fun wacking away at your environment. It'll be cool to see where this goes. Nice start!
Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:40:15 PM »

I had a fun wacking away at your environment. It'll be cool to see where this goes. Nice start!

Thanks! That's my most important goal now, so great to hear that.
Did the control feel well to you?

snake2020
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »

hammerfight

Coffee
Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »

hammerfight

Coffee

Yep, that's where I mainly take inspiration from now. It's not gonna stay that way though, don't worry  Waaagh!
(It was very underrated too, I think...)

Andy Rhetoric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »

I wouldn't call the control great. I wasn't always entirely sure what was going to happen. When the spinning worked as I expected it was fine. For example, I wasn't moving anywhere near as smoothly as you can in the gifs you have posted. Things were much more jerky, or I felt like I had to wind up a couple of times before I had enough momentum to bash.
Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 01:25:26 AM »

I wouldn't call the control great. I wasn't always entirely sure what was going to happen. When the spinning worked as I expected it was fine. For example, I wasn't moving anywhere near as smoothly as you can in the gifs you have posted. Things were much more jerky, or I felt like I had to wind up a couple of times before I had enough momentum to bash.

Mmm... That can either be the case of being used to the controls or my mouse sensitivity is higher... I'll implement a slider for mouse sensitivity for the next version, see if that fixes some issues. Thanks for the feedback!  Beer!

Andy Rhetoric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »

Mmm... That can either be the case of being used to the controls or my mouse sensitivity is higher... I'll implement a slider for mouse sensitivity for the next version, see if that fixes some issues. Thanks for the feedback!  Beer!

Cool, I'll let you know how things are feeling when you get a new build out there.
Russ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 04:09:02 PM »

The physics look really well done, I had so much fun on Hammerfight I think I'll give this a go.
Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 06:59:29 AM »

Time for an update!
  • Mouse sensitivity!
  • Cool sparks when your weapon hits something
  • Some finished graphics, some placeholder graphics
  • Lights

The physics look really well done, I had so much fun on Hammerfight I think I'll give this a go.
I loved that game, so I wan't to improve upon that game. There's so much you can do when you have the mechanics set up!

Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:07:29 AM »

Okay scrap my previous statement about art.

^ That's the style the game will be in.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic