Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:32:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEl-Descent - Powers of Nature
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: El-Descent - Powers of Nature  (Read 956 times)
monsterkillu
Level 0

An Indie from India

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:43:56 AM »

Inspired by a cool game called 'Shapes Down (http://game.sundaemonth.com/shapedown/)', but felt i should make a similar game with better controls and relaxed stuff or whatever. So i came up with a rapid prototype called El Descent.

Play El-Descent
Note: Game ends when music fades out. No indication whatsoever. Just One level only.

Let me know what you think about the game, suggestions to improve it. I'm looking for a sound/music designer for this, or else i would be going for incompetech.com & do with his songs, if possible.

Monster Brain Games (c)

Play Test : A Puzzle Journey : Puzzle Platformer for android - Play Test Demo

Checkout my games on PlayStore - [url=http://bit.ly/mb
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:44:44 PM »

Well, it feels almost exactly like the other game, which I just played a few days ago. I do like a few changes you've made, though. The choice of using elements distinguishes the shapes from one another a bit better, I think. I like the music and was pleased to see that the falling objects always hit at the right times.

I like the art a lot, except for the...earth (?) element. It just doesn't see to fit with the others at all.

I really disliked the slow key/speed shift near the end. It just sounded horrible to my ears and broke my focus by suddenly making the falling pieces feel separate from the music. It completely took me out of the game.

If you end up using music from incompetech, I would recommend trying very hard to pick tracks that haven't already been overused in indie games (Maybe post here and see if people have already heard the tracks you want to use). It's always a weird/disappointing feeling for me when I play a game that's using content that was in other unrelated ones that I've played.

As for what you could add, I would say just try to think of something that will make your game feel different from the other one. Right now it looks different but feels far too similar, in my opinion.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
monsterkillu
Level 0

An Indie from India

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »

Well, it feels almost exactly like the other game, which I just played a few days.............
As for what you could add, I would say just try to think of something that will make your game feel different from the other one. Right now it looks different but feels far too similar, in my opinion.

Thanks for your honest feedback. I really liked the game shapes down, but was put off by the hardness of it and felt confusing when the speed spiked. So my objective was to make a better one, not a different one (but i'll try to make it different).

I've got a sound composer to work on it now. So incompetech can rest a little. About Earth, what i actually meant was putting seeds and the tree which represents the earth & life. initially i thought of sand but was confusing.

And the slow key/speed shift was kind of misplaced, i know. I wanted to feel like how the speed might affect, i just speedify that part of the track to see the effects. Won't happen in the main game, i guarantee... Smiley

Thanks for feedback. Hoping to build some better levels soon.

Monster Brain Games (c)

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:06:26 AM »

About Earth, what i actually meant was putting seeds and the tree which represents the earth & life. initially i thought of sand but was confusing.

Ohhhhh. The whole time, I was confused about why there was an arrow representing earth, while everything else was more clear. I had no idea that was a tree. Maybe it shouldn't be a pine, or should just be more detailed (ex. more easily-distinguished branches). In any case, I think my main problem with it is just that it looks like pixel art while the other symbols look like nice, smooth vector art.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »

I tried the game out. It is really simple and easy to grasp. Fun as well. I liked it.

I didn't play the other game so I can't compare between them much (perhaps for the best as I'd treat this as its own thing).

I won't go over what Quicksand-S has mentioned since it is already said.

I really liked the drum beat when the correct element hit the correct shape. Though the "miss" sound effect is off as I think it is of the 16 or 8 bit variant while the other is normal.

The music I felt didn't fit the game quite well (I am guessing a place holder) I was wishing for a more upbeat kind of music. Kind of like a battle thing for example.

While I really liked the concept and its simplicity I felt there is more that can be done. Perhaps a reverse level? Where you capture water with fire and so on? You can try to put that wheel in the middle of the screen and have elements come at you from two sides and you have to rotate fast to capture them (of course you'd need them to fly at different speeds).

The art is definitely as mentioned, amazing. I really liked it and I loved the hue on the two sides of the screen next to the rotating circle that changes with the rotation.

This might work on mobiles pretty well (if for example you divided the screen into four two parts and each part rotates the wheel to a direction).

All in all it is really fun and quite simple to pick up and play. Good work and good luck Smiley

monsterkillu
Level 0

An Indie from India

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:07:14 AM »

I tried the game out. It is really simple and easy to grasp. Fun as well. I liked it.

All in all it is really fun and quite simple to pick up and play. Good work and good luck Smiley

Thanks a lot for that really helpful bunch of feedbacks and suggestions ... I tried it with a kind of fast music and felt really hard. Perhaps i'll look into it later Smiley...

Monster Brain Games (c)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic