Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:10:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Multi-Resolution Mobile Development
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Multi-Resolution Mobile Development  (Read 1554 times)
marnaouf
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:12 AM »

I'm about to start development on my first game for mobile phone (I already have a flash prototype completed so it's jsut a matter of "porting" it to mobile and fixing up the code) and plan on hopefully being able to get the game working on iphones and most android devices. I am using Haxe along with OpenFL and HaxeFlixel for development.

My question is: What resolution should I design the game in initially and/or what is the best way to develop a game for multiple resolutions. I have found multiple different methods, the best, in my opinion, being strategy 3 on this page: http://wiki.starling-framework.org/manual/multi-resolution_development. However I have some questions about this. First, what would the best base resolution to use be, the guide suggests 240*320 which seems alright to me, although if I chose to use pixel graphics as I most probably will given I'm using HaxeFlixel, I'm not sure if they'll look too blocky on larger screens which I'm not even sure is a problem as it might still look alright. (Honestly, not sure about that and if anyone has any examples of games that use this method and look nice). Finally, please feel free to share whatever methods you use and think is best. For example, HaxeFlixel has a scaling feature that scales the game to fit the exact screen size, but I'm afraid that would lead to blurry and improperly scaled graphics since it would scale by non-integers. But, I'm not sure how noticeable a problem that may or may not be. Although from experience I'm pretty sure it won't look nice and currently I do not think I'm going to go for this option. So, I would really appreciate any help on this subject. Thank you in advance.
orionblack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »

I recently started a similar development, but I'm using just OpenFL. I hadn't read that particular article before but I'm pretty much also doing strategy number 3. Given the market share(http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-install-base-is-still-heavy-on-the-iPhone-44S-giving-prospects-for-massive-upgrades-ahead_id55774) I would suggest to "skip" 480 x 320 and go straight to 960 x 640(iphone 4) as a base resolution(I mean as a target not as a numeric base for your stage size). I can't find the article but the numbers are relatively similar for android(with lots of minor differences on screen sizes).

Remember to set up a couple of conditionals in your project(http://www.openfl.org/documentation/projects/project-files/xml-format/) so that you can easily compile to different resolutions and load just the respecting assets.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic