Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:05:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to contribute to indie community?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to contribute to indie community?  (Read 685 times)
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2014, 05:23:55 AM »

As the title says, what's a good way to really contribute to the indie community? I ask because one of the requirements for getting accepted into Indie MEGABOOTH for events like PAX is not only to have a great, unique game, but also showing you provide value and contribute to the indie community.

Some initial ideas are to setup a Twitch stream where I'll playtest indie games under development and give feedback (clearly stealing this idea from fellow forum member Moromis). I've also thought about giving presentations at local Meetups on how I've structured my games code base in Unity. 

Currently, I do write technical blog posts when a topic comes up during my development that I feel is worthy of sharing.

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »

One of the best ways, in my opinion, is simply sharing your knowledge and feedback with those starting out or are in a little bit of a rut. Stick with what you specialize as that will be the most valuable. I usually share my two years of social marketing experience with people who are lost in how to approach something like that that's outside their comfort zone. I've even responded to posts on /r/gamedev where people share their page or website and ask how to start marketing, and I'll give them feedback and steps to start taking toward early goals. If you put yourself out there and browse through forums like these, you'll find no end to devs looking for help/feedback!

I've also seen on the indie dev group on Facebook some people will donate time helping some early developers starting out and sit down with them to go over their code/concept art/whatever, so that could be something you can try Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic