Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 11:30:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBox ninja 4.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Box ninja 4.0  (Read 895 times)
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »

This is the fourth update for box ninja. This update places emphasis on shot placement and eradicates any attempt to brute force beat a level. A new ammo type is added to the game also that can be carried along all of the new 5 added levels. This update should add a new challenging element to the whole game, not just the added levels. Can you beat all the levels all over again? Can you handle the new way the game plays? Find out by playing beta 4.0!

You can quick play the game without having to download it here: http://gamejolt.com/games/quick-play/32312/
View the games blogs here: http://games-placeo.tumblr.com/
and here: http: http://gamejolt.com/games/puzzle/box-ninja-w-i-p-beta-4-1/32312/
A download for the game can be found on either of the 2 blogs.

Here are the some screenshots of the game!

Beta 4.0 Screenshot of the final level

Lock and key mechanic that was introduced in beta 3.0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:28:15 AM by games placeo » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »

When click to start the game from the menu, I get the following error:

Code:
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object obj_arm:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -5.ammo_current_ice(100004, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_arm_Create_0

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:36:21 AM »

This error is now fixed
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:18:51 AM »

Sorry to bring up another issue, but downloads appear to be disabled on your GameJolt page now.

games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »

Sorry to bring up another issue, but downloads appear to be disabled on your GameJolt page now.

It should be up now mate Grin
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »

Ok. I gave the 2.0 version a try while I was waiting, so I have something to compare this version to.

-The flower pedals look a lot better than your old effect. They're drawn over the ground, though (the soil at the bottom of the screen), when they should probably be behind it like they're behind everything else.

-Even though the pedals look better, everything else isn't so appealing (ex. different sprite resolutions, stretched sprites, a random line on the background grass and a really ugly "box" texture). I'd strongly recommend redoing the graphics completely, or getting someone else to, if you want more people to play/test your game.

-The bright rectangle at the bottom of the screen (my HUD area?) is off-center and drawn behind the floor, so it looks really weird. The text and arrow icon don't stand out at all either.

-Why does my ninja's arm constantly move back and forth?

-The physics feel really buggy. The boxes' movements are a little unpredictable (at least in terms of how far they move). It also looks really bad/glitchy when boxes are allowed to slide on top of one another. The arrow bounces aren't always accurate either, so when I have to bounce to get the button, it feels like chance.

-I think the puzzles might be easier for you to control if arrows were destroyed upon impact with boxes. As it is now, I can often push a box out of the way and still hit the button perfectly with the same arrow. Some levels near the end of the first stage were easy to complete with a single arrow because of this (and I was given five).

-If I reach zero arrows, I think the level should restart after a certain time without me having to try shooting again first.

-I would really strongly recommend not using the pop-up windows for messages. Just write the message into that HUD area at the bottom or something. The pop-up just destroyed the flow of the game.

-Getting ice arrows screwed up the alignment of the icon next to the "equals" sign. Also, I found it very strange that both arrow types weren't shown at once. Why not just show all the arrows I have and let me switch back and forth in the list? There seems to be a lot of room there for multiple icons.

-The first key/lock level wasted three of my arrows by destroying them even though I was aiming at the bottom of the key box and it should have just moved upward. It also didn't move all the way to the wall and ended up stuck about 6px away from it instead. I tried three times, with two different methods, and then gave up on that level.

-A sprite-based crosshair would be nice. Sometimes the arrow didn't go where my mouse cursor was pointing, but a cursor/crosshair that you have control over could be positioned exactly where the character is aiming.

I like some of the puzzle designs you've come up with, but everything just feels so random with the current physics. Having arrows bounce the wrong way and boxes move unpredictably really ruins what could be a pretty good game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic