Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:01:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat does "Roguelike" mean to you?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: What does "Roguelike" mean to you?  (Read 5687 times)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »

!^#%( = Rogue-like.

**(*&& = Batman-like.

!@#$ = Fuck.

Naming is partially arbitrary.
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 05:06:05 PM »

Lol good point!

Ashaman73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »

Its funny, most roguelike fans reduce the term to technical/game design features found in the first rogue game. I see it more like a hi-level of not skill based challenge, often a result of the unknown or just unfair moments.

Eg. starcraft1/2 is a challenging multiplayer game, but skill based  Hand Any Key, flappy bird too   Hand Pencil, just skill. But the original rogue game have no skill limits  Hand Clap(turnbased without time limit), still it needs a deep understanding, a lot of luck and lot of endurance to surpass the challenges.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »

Yeah I agree, that it's more about the principles than any particular hard-definitions

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »

One of the most important parts of classification is to build confidence in yourself/your team.

If I say I am, "making a shooter," and then I start doing some good gun physics, I have confidence I am not wasting my time, because good gun physics are important in good shooters.

If I say I am, "making a game that is XYXYXYX" - some definition no one understands well - and I blow a lot of time implementing some feature... how do I know it is the right feature? Does it fit into the vision?

If I am, "making a roguelike," and I am building these maze-like dungeons, and fine-tuning the balance of perma-death, am I wasting my time? What about if I remove leveling? Or I have only 3 types of items? Or there are no monsters - only death-puzzles? Am I wasting my time then?

The question becomes, "what is a roguelike?" If I know what it is, then I can have confidence that what I am building has value.

If I am wrong about what a roguelike is, then maybe I need to think harder about whether feature X is good or not.

A roguelike to me, since I don't play many, is just really deep play, with permadeath, lots of repetition, planning, and complex/obscured rules.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:50:50 AM by Graham- » Logged
ActiveUnique
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »

If I say I am, "making a shooter," and then I start doing some good gun physics, I have confidence I am not wasting my time, because good gun physics are important in good shooters.

If I say I am, "making a game that is XYXYXYX" - some definition no one understands well - and I blow a lot of time implementing some feature... how do I know it is the right feature? Does it fit into the vision?

Your concept artist just submitted 20 hours worth of pixel art by the end of the week because they had a top-down shooter in mind.

You could say you're making an "XYZ game, with gravity, 2 kinds of bullets, and 50 assault rifles" then shortened it to "making a shooter" as a placeholder definition.

I've read about the idea guy. Yeah, so, you should get a lazy team.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 04:28:06 PM »

We're making a rogue-like. Joe Blob wants to make the combat more real-time. We have to remove a lot of item/equipment complexity. Is it still a rogue-like? Will that bother us?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »

if a video game falls in the woods is it still a roguelike

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »

A roguelike is the iron bar with no hole. A roguelike is what you looked like before your parents were born.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2014, 06:03:06 AM »

It is the alpha and the omega.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

<rant>

Roguelike = pull hair out frustration of wanting Faster than Light to have a DAMN SAVE GAME SYSTEM!

</rant>

I got over it (a little) when I learned how to ghetto save by backing up their game after every move.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2014, 06:58:36 AM »

good job missing the point of everything in life entirely

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic