Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:19:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDogfighter (Working Title) | 2D Multiplayer Aerial Combat
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dogfighter (Working Title) | 2D Multiplayer Aerial Combat  (Read 1866 times)
dissonance
Level 0

make games; die trying

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:01:29 AM »

-=Dogfighter=-
(working title)

Introduction:

This project began as an entry for the #gbjam, but I never finished it in time. I decided to press on, attempting to create a simplified “dogfighting” sim, being inspired by the movie Porco Rosso, as well video games like Wings of Prey and War Thunder but restricting them to 2D graphics and environment. I tossed out the GameBoy restrictions and what my significant other referred to as the “flying orca” planes and instead began constructing a simple prototype(displayed in the gifs below). This prototype was immensely popular amongst my friends, contributing to my decision to rebuild the game from the ground up into something that is, hopefully, commercial quality.

What is Dogfighter(working title)?
Dogfighter is a 2D side-scroller with platforming elements based on aerial combat maneuvering(ACM), also referred to as a dogfight. Dogfighter's focus is on its local multiplayer, but will also feature a solo campaign.

Will Dogfighter feature multi-player?
Dogfighter started out as a local 4-player game and this hasn't changed. Online multiplayer is on my mind, however this isn't a guaranteed feature.

How is this NOT a Luftrausers clone?
Allow me to answer that with another question, how is Luftrausers not an Altitude clone? The feel, look and focus separates both games from each other as well as popularity. Much like these games separate each other, I will try my best to separate this game from them. There is a greater focus on PVP in Dogfighter.

Features (not final):

• Single player campaign set in an open-world.
  • 4-player local multiplayer.
  • Large maps featuring a variety of elements for players to exploit.
  • Easy to pickup but hard to master gameplay.
  • Xbox 360 controller support.

Gifs(From Prototype):

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:42:47 PM by dissonance » Logged

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »

I like the concept. Keep us posted.

Savick
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:59:13 PM »

You may want to take a look at http://luftrausers.com/ if you haven't or don't know about it. It's pretty similar to what you've got, but only single player.
dissonance
Level 0

make games; die trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »

You may want to take a look at http://luftrausers.com/ if you haven't or don't know about it. It's pretty similar to what you've got, but only single player.

That's pretty cool! I gave the flash version a try and there are similarities but the feeling is different overall. While Luftrausers is extreme in its "arcadeyness", my game leans more towards a realistic approach while still remaining "arcadey" or something, if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:15:40 PM by dissonance » Logged

darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »

Like the look of this a lot - this is my kind of game!  I love the spinning because of a missing wing - great effects Smiley

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
dissonance
Level 0

make games; die trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »

Like the look of this a lot - this is my kind of game!  I love the spinning because of a missing wing - great effects Smiley

Thanks! It's a favorite of mine as well, the effect. Smiley

Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

Never, but question engineer's judgement

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »

Very nice... I guess a first person view with the cockpit is not possible, uh? Smiley

I'm not a insane, my mother had me tested

I'm an engineer. To save time, just assume I'm never wrong
dissonance
Level 0

make games; die trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 07:35:44 AM »

Very nice... I guess a first person view with the cockpit is not possible, uh? Smiley

Hmm... why have first person when you can have third person! Third is two more than first so it is better!

darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »

You are asking for a completely different type of game!

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

Never, but question engineer's judgement

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 11:21:28 PM »

Hmm... why have first person when you can have third person! Third is two more than first so it is better!

ROTFL

You are asking for a completely different type of game!

You're right... it's just that I love first person flight simulator Smiley

I'm not a insane, my mother had me tested

I'm an engineer. To save time, just assume I'm never wrong
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:11:34 AM »

Looks like it can be a lot of fun. What are your level design plans? Will you always be fighting in the same empty air space, or do you plan to have maps with obstacles and such?

I'd increase the bullet size and maybe make them a brighter color. It seems like they're hard to see when the camera zooms out.

Speaking of the camera, I'm interested to see how you'll tackle dealing with 16+ players. Will each player just have their own camera that tracks them, or will everyone share the same camera and you'll attempt to track all players at once (like you do now for just 4 players)?

Keep it up! Looking forward to the progress.

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
dissonance
Level 0

make games; die trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 09:50:05 PM »

Looks like it can be a lot of fun. What are your level design plans? Will you always be fighting in the same empty air space, or do you plan to have maps with obstacles and such?

I'd increase the bullet size and maybe make them a brighter color. It seems like they're hard to see when the camera zooms out.

Speaking of the camera, I'm interested to see how you'll tackle dealing with 16+ players. Will each player just have their own camera that tracks them, or will everyone share the same camera and you'll attempt to track all players at once (like you do now for just 4 players)?

Keep it up! Looking forward to the progress.

Level Design Plans:
Levels will be varied and will feature details that can enhance or hinder combat, e.g., buildings, trees, etc. Levels will also feature day & night options, which you can enable and disable during game setup. Another feature will be varying weather affects, which are more for atmospheric purposes (and because I enjoy games with rain or snow in them), which can also be enabled and disabled.

Bullets:
Agreed! This is already on my to-do list. Bullets are planned to feature tracers and will, hopefully, look closer to what you would expect.

Camera:
Local multiplayer will feature the ability to switch between a shared camera or split-screen. Online multiplayer will only make use of a camera, similar to the split screen option of local multiplayer, that will only follow your plane. This camera will have a "focus" feature; this feature will shift the camera slightly when you are pursuing another player, but will shift back when other planes come into view. Online and split-screen local multiplayer will feature a "radar" of sorts, although I have yet to decide on a final design of how this will work.

Hope that answers your questions! I look forward to you looking forward to the progress! :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:21:16 PM by dissonance » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »

i'm really curious as to how this is not literally luftrausers

i know you've said some vague things about feel

but what this looks like to me is "i've decided to make luftrausers really exactly"

i guess this has multiplayer, so that's different and interesting, but come on dude

you even have customizable planes? i just

look, this isn't really constructive

and i get that. i'm sorry about that.

and look, i get that multiple games can exist that are extremely similar and be awesome. that's ok.

i guess what i'm saying is you gotta make the feel really your own. really own it. push that shit. otherwise people are gonna be like "yeah, this is just multiplayer luftrausers with a klik and play aesthetic" including me and idk if you want that. build some examples of environments that aren't just sky. maybe add different vehicle types. maybe make the controls more interesting in some way (? the vaguest advice ever, but). don't abandon this but seriously consider the ways you can push this as far as you can from being a luftrausers clone, even accidentally. because i can tell you care about a thing and you wanna make a cool thing.

some things to think about:

-maybe you can do something with pilots and parachutes and escapes
-jets, helicopters, bombers, idk. flying cars. winged pigs. more vehicles? i don't know
-something something single player shooter mode ala whip rush/r-type/1948 might...actually work really well and probably is your coolest bet for Radically Making This Game Different
-i don't know

dissonance
Level 0

make games; die trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 06:14:44 AM »

i'm really curious as to how this is not literally luftrausers

i know you've said some vague things about feel

but what this looks like to me is "i've decided to make luftrausers really exactly"

i guess this has multiplayer, so that's different and interesting, but come on dude

you even have customizable planes? i just

look, this isn't really constructive

and i get that. i'm sorry about that.

and look, i get that multiple games can exist that are extremely similar and be awesome. that's ok.

i guess what i'm saying is you gotta make the feel really your own. really own it. push that shit. otherwise people are gonna be like "yeah, this is just multiplayer luftrausers with a klik and play aesthetic" including me and idk if you want that. build some examples of environments that aren't just sky. maybe add different vehicle types. maybe make the controls more interesting in some way (? the vaguest advice ever, but). don't abandon this but seriously consider the ways you can push this as far as you can from being a luftrausers clone, even accidentally. because i can tell you care about a thing and you wanna make a cool thing.

some things to think about:

-maybe you can do something with pilots and parachutes and escapes
-jets, helicopters, bombers, idk. flying cars. winged pigs. more vehicles? i don't know
-something something single player shooter mode ala whip rush/r-type/1948 might...actually work really well and probably is your coolest bet for Radically Making This Game Different
-i don't know

Good question! While I cannot be for sure, since my only experience with Luftrausers was the demo I mentioned earlier in this thread, I can answer your questions based on what I do know.

Customizable Planes/Vehicle Types?
Yes, there are customizable planes. Planes have stat points which can be spent to affect how your plane handles as well as the ability to customize the body and colors of your plane. There is also a 'pilot' creation, which is not anything too fancy, but gives you something else to make your character unique.

Environments?
Yes, as mentioned earlier there will be varied environments, including certain hindering/enhancing aspects (e.g., a level that features search lights and ground artillery; you can use the pattern of the lights to lead pursuing players into allowing ground artillery to open fire on your pursuer, which could also attack you if spotted). I understand the desire to have examples of these, but I am still pretty earlier on in the development cycle to have any pictures/gifs to show, but I promise I will have some up once I get to that point.

Controls?
I cannot really say much about this. I have been developing this game with a controller in mind and I only use a controller when testing (there will be a keyboard option with rebind-able keys). I do not know if Luftrausers has controller support or not since when trying out the demo I used a keyboard, but from my experience with the game there is a different feel, as vague as that sounds. Also, Altitude (a friend was showing me it because he had similar concerns) came out before Luftrausers and has somewhat similar controls but is still vastly different in feel. My game will, hopefully, separate itself as much as those two have separated themselves. Perhaps at some point I will have an example of this to help convey what I have such a hard time articulating.

Other Concerns/recommendations:
The idea of being able to parachute out of your plane is something I have been mulling over in my head. My idea was to have the ability to parachute from your plane so you can 'respawn' faster in a multiplayer matches (unless, of course, another player shoots you). This could definitely work on certain multiplayer modes like CTF and with the way I want to have single player, but for other multiplayer modes I am still unsure; just know that I am playing around with the idea.

The single player campaign will take place on a much larger level and have an open world feel; your pilot will be assigned varying missions to be completed. This campaign will work more as an elaborate training/tutorial mode of sorts, allowing the player to get a feel for the game and unlock "frames" for use in the multiplayer modes.

Now, as far as vehicle types that the player can use, eh. In the campaign, I have some ideas where you might have to fly something that is not your standard fighter plane but this will not be present in multiplayer or maybe it will. I still do not have the game planned that far ahead and I do not want to say yes to something and it never happen (feature creep). I will say this though, I am thinking of that and I do have ideas, just nothing for sure; there will be "frames" including some silly ones that the player can unlock and use in multiplayer but that is all I am certain of right now.

Just another note: Nothing that I have shown or talked about is final. What is shown, in the gifs above, is more of a prototype of the idea with graphics that were made in minutes. Also, thank you for your concerns! Smiley I hope that this gives you a better idea and that I have answered most, if not all of your questions.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:25:46 PM by dissonance » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic