Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:14:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioNeed music ideas for a cute, logic/puzzle game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need music ideas for a cute, logic/puzzle game.  (Read 1035 times)
FishFace
Level 0

Glub glub!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »

Hi, I'm developing a puzzle game with a feel a bit like sokoban, where you have to move and place doors in walls to open up paths through the level and get to the exit. Here's what it looks like:

You can find the source at https://github.com/fish-face/door-restorer and a windows build at http://fishface.org.uk/static/stuff/dora.zip

Anyway, I'm trying to find music for the game - and there's a wealth of creative commons stuff out there on Free Music Archive, Incompetech, etc. But I don't really know what I'm looking for so I just end up listening to track after track with nothing jumping out at me. I think the fundamental issue is that while the game is slow paced (it's turn based, with no time pressure - you have to sit and thing about things, and experiment and go back etc) it's also cute in appearance. To me, the latter would demand happy, bouncy music, but the former more suits very slow, relaxed music.

I've tried just browsing, and search for either happy or relaxed music, but so far nothing struck me as that great. The theme, such as it is, is mediaeval/castle, but it's not given much attention.

If anyone has any ideas on what kind of music might suit a game like this, places to look, terms to search for, or any other suggestions - that'd be great!

Glub glub!
NemesisNull
Level 0

Nemesis Null

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »

I can make your soundtrack based on those requirements! Would you like to hear a sample?  Blink

I make music for games!

Samples:
https://soundcloud.com/nemesisnull
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »

So, puzzle games are quite a different animal, musically speaking than most other genres.  It's hard to find a 'general' rule of thumb when writing music for them, which is probably why the soundtracks for puzzle games are so eclectic (just compare the

to

for example).  This could lead to some difficulties in finding stock music that satisfies the qualities you're looking for.

It is very possible to write slow, yet happy-relaxed music that satisfies a turn-based game, and you may want to seriously consider hiring someone to do it for you. Based on the art that you've presented, it looks like to me like you may be looking for music that is slightly darker but still cute, and doesn't produce too much of a sense of pressure for the player, as the turns are not time based. In this case, you may want something more 'ambient' sounding and less structured.  Try searching through the BandCamp tags, like ambient or downtempo.  Based on the art, it also looks like you may want something 8bit or 'chiptune' sounding, which you could also search for on BandCamp.  

I realize a lot of the words I just used are also listed in my signature as a description of me, and I only hope that it's a coincidence and not my sub-conscious shouting at me, but all the same; I think it is a musical direction you may want to consider. I've written some 8bit style music I would be willing to let you use if it fits for your project, but I think you'll want something more customized.  Let us know if you find any stock music that fits; I'm pretty curious just intellectually to see what will work.   Cool

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »

I agree with much of what Kyle said.  There is a whole spectrum of music that lies somewhere between "happy" and "dark", and I think that is where you're future game soundtrack lies.  As far as search terms to help you find that?  That's a bit tricky, since music is so subjective and hard to describe using words.

If I were writing the music for this game, I would probably start off by trying to write something minimalist.  Maybe add "minimalist" or "minimal" as a search term?

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:15:39 AM »

Personally, I imagine some Bossa Nova playing when I see it Well, hello there!

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:41:07 AM »

I think I'm gonna skip out of work early so I can write some Melancholy Minimalist Bossa Nova!   Gentleman

FishFace
Level 0

Glub glub!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »

Hi all, thanks for the replies!

I guess first I should say I'm not yet sure whether to try and find free, licensable music, payed-for licensable music, or pay someone to write some. This is my first game so I'm a little trepidous of paying any money - in case I lose interest, mainly - and in any case I think it would be a very good idea to have a more solid idea in my mind before asking for custom work. With that said, obviously I have no issue with listening to samples, but I don't want to mislead anyone...

Next, about chiptune: I must confess, I want to avoid it, if at all possible! Not because I don't like it, but really only because I'm trying to avoid the "Chiptune music and pixel art" Indie game trope. With that said, Kyle's tracks do sound good - I think the fact that the instrument(s) are inherently bright-sounding means that you can have a much slower pace and not sound so sombre. Still: for now I think I want to persevere with the idea of finding something slow played on piano.

Minimalism is definitely what I'm after - although weirdly I often end up browsing through tracks with the tag that, to my ears, sound anything but minimalist! Maybe the meaning is different to me, though - I think I specifically want something with few instruments (solo piano could easily work, I think? For something like chiptune a single instrument/voice would probably be annoying)

I will listen to Bossa Nova, and continue searching for minimalist/happy/slow/etc music. I'll also maybe listen to some chiptune stuff... If anyone can suggest music that sounds like (slow) chiptune but with traditional instruments, that'd be great, but maybe I'm asking for the moon. (Actually, I don't mind synths, although preferably not too 80s!)

EDIT: Just realised that the music of Creatures 3 is a decent approximation. It's not too sombre (although still not quite as happy-sounding as I'd like) and uses physical instruments with very minimalist, almost abstract ambient music. Of course ways in which it's unsuitable are the more space-y or outdoors-y elements.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:48:59 AM by FishFace » Logged

Glub glub!
velcro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:33:45 PM »

here's some links to stuff I've done over the years. If you're interested in any of it please let me know
[email protected]
they are all free to download, some are commons.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/sinewaves/
'Impedance Coast' is more musical

http://www.andyslater.bandcamp.com
'Space Station Afterparty' is tuneful stuff
Might be a segment of 'I Make Drone Tapes Now' that may be good for ya.

I know its a lot to sift through but I hope you enjoy some of it!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic