Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:28:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioHow do composer developer collaborations work?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do composer developer collaborations work?  (Read 679 times)
JBell
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum.
I've been composing for 5+ years and have recently been publishing stock music.
I'm now hoping to do work in the film/game music industry.
When a composer is collaborating with a developer on a game, what communication method is usually used?
Is it necessary for the composer to meet with the developer in person?
If they're communicating through email, how would the composer be able to write for the game (would they use videos, game demos)?
Sorry for all the questions!
-Jeremy
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:44:13 AM »

eh usually you just kinda take a look at the concepts or trailers or play whatever part of the game has been made already and send music to them and change what needs to be changed when you fuck up

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »

It's definitely not necessary to meet the people in person, and thankfully so because that would be very limiting in terms of who you could work with! I've worked / am working on 3 games and each one has been different. For the first game we exchange via Skype, the second by email, and for the third I directly brought my piano and laptop into the startup's office. Skype is more interactive and makes you feel like you're part of the team more than email, but it's also more time consuming - it would probably be difficult to monitor several projects at the same time, for example. But it also allows you to play live for the people you're working with if you want to show them a melody or something. Email is more efficient and succint, and it works best if people have a precise idea of what they want you to do - request/demo(/review/modif). Working in an office is really good because you get to talk directly to the other art people, and I personally got a lot of inspiration from looking at the game art. It's sometimes a bit less precise in terms of what people ask from you though, as they'll be trying to convey what they want in vague terms.

So, yeah. Pick whatever works best for you and the people you're working with/for!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic