Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:05:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWomen as Background Decoration: Part 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Women as Background Decoration: Part 2  (Read 20574 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:17:15 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »

What about all the male characters who are depicted as evil barbarians for the player to mow down?  Is the only solution have a game that's all about a female character massacring all the men that are obviously all down to desecrate female corpses?

Maybe these games are highlighting some of the gruesome aspects of sexism that exist in the real world.  But trying to get these elements banned is the same as censoring books that deal with controversial themes.

Also, if you walk into a strip club, what the hell do you expect to find if not, surprise, strippers?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:58:28 PM by Boreal » Logged

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »

way to miss the point

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »

boreal's example actually sounds like an example of an exploitation film instead lol

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »

Maybe because teh subject is about women, I mena there is nothing in this video about police brutality in teh US especially after ferguson .... OF COURSE THAT'S NOT THE TOPIC (plus she adressed that point in one of the damsel in distress video) + there is an entire video planned about reviewing solution down the road XD

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »

I think the video covers Boreal's complaint about halfway through.

Also I really hated those boorish scenes in Dragon: Age origins and the game in general. It was the cesspit of bad things in RPGs.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »

As always, I agree with her point but some of her examples are distorted or taken out of context. I don't think the corpses in Bioshock are sexualized and neither the ghost of the stripper, it has a good reason to be there. The bordello in Dishonored also fits well in the context of the game.

I guess, some games make good use of the tropes and some make very bad use of them. Rape and violence against women shouldn't be treated so lightly. I think some of it is the result of the medium trying to be more mature but not knowing how to handle mature themes yet.

Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »

This dunderhead still makes these videos...? I thought the internet was rid of her...

Blambo
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:28 PM »

ok i officially think youre a nerd on all fronts
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 12:45:36 AM »

As always, I agree with her point but some of her examples are distorted or taken out of context. I don't think the corpses in Bioshock are sexualized and neither the ghost of the stripper, it has a good reason to be there. The bordello in Dishonored also fits well in the context of the game.
You know, even if it sometimes fits in the context of a particular narrative, it's still troubling that so many games do it (often mindlessly). Tropes are not bad in themselves and can be very useful. It's their overuse that's problematic. At best, it's lazy writing. At worst, a symptom of how disturbed and misogynistic video games are. Especially given the cultural context.

All in all, really liked this episode. And then liked the reaction of the devs of some of the games involved even more.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42:52 AM »

I don't think the corpses in Bioshock are sexualized

really? i thought they were pretty obviously sexualized considering how they were posed, esp compared to the male corpses. also if this is supposed to be a brothel, why are all the dead men fully dressed? wat a hell?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:26:51 AM »

trying to get these elements banned
yeah that's what this is about

good job Hand Thumbs Up Left

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 04:08:57 AM »

Skipped through large chunks of it, but I think I'm on board with her points; mind you, all the games on show looked like AAA titles; does the same objectification of women happen with smaller studios and games?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 05:50:37 AM »

I still have issues with her inside out way of viewing on things, but at least she provided a conclusion not just making a list of what's happening in which game.

I guess she might be credible to some of her followers, but she still has what she always had: the superficial views on facts, and never adressing any of her mistakes. Her recent biggest one is taking side with someone who wanted to destroy a pro-feminist (and actually pro-transgender) game jam with false claims, and doxxing.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »

I don't think the corpses in Bioshock are sexualized

really? i thought they were pretty obviously sexualized considering how they were posed, esp compared to the male corpses. also if this is supposed to be a brothel, why are all the dead men fully dressed? wat a hell?

Good point.

CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »

While I think that she has some good points, I find infuriating the way she approaches them, some examples are bad, in my opinion, especially the brothel ones where developers did a good job by depicting somewhat accurately the scenery. The comment she mades about males being fully dressed and females being sexually provocative it's because that's the way it is in real life, it's not a trope, it's a fact, if you watch the red carpet where the attendants clothing are considered elegant, you see that men are fully clothed, while women often have big cleveages or dresses that show a lot of skin.

I don't want you to get the wrong idea, I am conscious that there is a big problem against the way women are portrayed in popular culture, but it's much more a cultural problem that a videogame one. The real problem is that we live in a macho society, and games are a product of our society, that's where the problem reside not in the games in itself. I mean, you have a game ambiented in a circa 1900 México(Red Dead Redemption), where women were treated horribly just like they show in the game, what can you expect? Gender equity in the game? No, because it's an accurated depiction of the setting, you would be complaining about developers doing a good job.

Summarizing, I have a big problem with her examples, which almost in their entirety are just good depicting of the settings. She wants the developers to sacrifice credibility and immersion in order to show a better world and culture than the one that exists.

PD: If she had done a good research, she should have mentioned the MMORPGS where the women are shamelessly sexualized or the unbelivably stupid marketing campaign of EA's Dante's Inferno. A sinful night? Come on.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »

tazi, you're a moron

For pointing out her pathetic support of what Zoe Quinn is doing?  Also, check out her false flag followed by a post asking for more sympathy money.

I'll link the image so I don't offend anyone here.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwEefh5IcAAG_ob.jpg:large

Notice how the screenshot was taken 12 seconds after the last post, and how she isn't logged into her Twitter accound.  Looks a bit fishy, eh?  The icing on the cake is that she can't avoid complimenting herself.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »

why a hell would she need to fake harassment? she has more than enough real haters. unless you believe those are all sockpuppets as well, in which case...

ink.inc
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »

anime avetars strike again
SimplyRivet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 04:47:21 PM »

Boreal, even if you are right, how she asks for money is irrelevant to the argument that she's trying to make.

As far the subject of the brothels, I agree that the developers have more or less gotten it right when it comes to depicting them. The more pressing issue is why are there so many brothels in the first place? If we take GTA 4, sure it is accurate to the setting, but it's also one of the few types buildings that you can enter. An equally appropriate setting would be a gas station that could be robbed. However, the developers prioritized the strip club instead, presumably for the sexual titillation.

That's just an isolated incident though, so it could be a coincidence. The problem is, there have been so many strip clubs and brothels in games that people have written articles on which ones are better. http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/09/the-10-best-strip-clubs-and-brothels-in-video-games/strip-club

The problem is not that strip clubs exist in video games, the problem is that they are so pervasive. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic