Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:49:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlossom Tales: The Sleeping King
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King  (Read 4931 times)
CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:53:01 PM »

Hi guys!  This is the start of a devlog for our next project.

I've been live streaming development on Blossom Tales at http://www.twitch.tv/r0bbieTheRobot

All of my old videos are on - https://www.youtube.com/user/perfectLittlePixels/

About
Drawing inspiration from the beloved top-down adventure games we grew up with, Blossom Tales is a refreshing combination of classic Action-RPG gameplay and modern design. Featuring a vibrant world to get lost in, challenging dungeons to solve, and memorable characters to meet, our hope is for players to feel as though they've been transported back to the glorious days when pixelated visuals and chiptune music captivated us for hours on end. More than a throwback to 16-bit games, this lively adventure also offers unique gameplay elements, awesome weapons/abilities, and innovative dungeon design that set it apart from other top-down RPGs.

Story
In Blossom Tales you play as Lily, a young girl that has just completed her first day of initiation into the esteemed Knights of the Rose. She couldn't have picked a better day to join as the evil wizard Crocus, still not powerful enough to kill the King with his dark magic, has instead cast a dreaded spell that has placed him in an everlasting sleep. Now part of a royal unit sworn to aid the crown at all costs, you must find the mystical ingredients that can form a cure for the king and restore order to the kingdom-- but it will take more than going into the local Blossom Mart to find them!    

Features
  • An Unforgettable World -- Fierce snow beasts, undead monsters brought back to life, and witches cackling over a boiling cauldron are a few of the many remarkable characters and menacing foes you'll meet as you search for the ingredients in long-abandoned grottos, enchanted forests and more.
  • A Mix Of Old... -- Zelda being the most obvious inspiration, Blossom Tales offers the same classic Action-RPG feel by offering an arsenal of unique weapons, dungeons with combat and puzzle challenges, and an interconnected world.
  • ...And New -- However, this adventure is more than a clone of past retro gems. We hope to offer a unique and satisfying experience that all players can enjoy -- whether you grew up with the classics or this is your first top-down ARPG adventure.
  • Like Chess -- Blossom Tales is designed to be accessible for anyone to pick up and play while also offering plenty of depth for those looking for a challenge. The dungeons will get tougher and puzzles more clever, but anyone with determination and valor will reach the end and have a blast every step of the way!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:07:42 AM by CastlePixel » Logged

Savick
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »

You know, I think you may have posted a few too many screenshots there. Maybe just a few.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:02:46 AM »

There is no such thing as too many screenshots. This looks good. Have you posted some of the artwork before? It looks kinda familiar, especially that castle in the first shot.

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »

There is no such thing as too many screenshots. This looks good. Have you posted some of the artwork before? It looks kinda familiar, especially that castle in the first shot.

I believe I posted some art to the art discussion thread years ago.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »

Holy shit, that was quick.  Wizard

I feel like I just bought RexRocket yesterday. Good job planning these things in parallel.

EDIT: Just noticed that your "Features" bullet points are all copy/pasted twice.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:44:20 AM by Zack Bell » Logged

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:05:34 AM »

Holy shit, that was quick.  Wizard

Hey Zack!
Thanks for buying Rex Rocket, hope you're enjoying it!  Blossom Tales was a project I started years ago with a programmer who eventually quit out and the project never really got past the prototyping stage on his end. While the programmer never got it past some initial control type stuff for the main character (few enemies), I produced artwork for the for about a year and a half before breaking it off with the programmer. 

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »

Absolutely love how perfectly bright the colors are. Didn't know you released Rex Rocket - looking into that now!

MrBones
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »

Pretty nice art style!
I think you might actually have too many screens in the OP, pretty unusual problem.
CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »

Pretty nice art style!
I think you might actually have too many screens in the OP, pretty unusual problem.
@Scott Thanks!

Bonesy, what does OP mean?   Blossom Tales is a pretty unusual project, like I said to Zack, I worked on Blossom Tales for about a year and a half while the programmer did next to nothing and never really got off the ground.  That's why there are so many screenshots :D

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 06:35:13 AM »

New gif of some combat

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 10:22:36 AM »

zelda likes!

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
MrBones
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »

Bonesy, what does OP mean?
OP means "Original Post", like the first post in the thread. Great work nevertheless!
CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »

Some more gameplay

Rosstin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 03:17:56 AM »

Wow! Blossom Tales is back!

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »

New gif of the bards.

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:02 PM »

Another new gif!

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »

Our kickstarter has launched! - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441844041/blossom-tales-the-sleeping-king

Rosstin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »

Looking forward to seeing how this goes!

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 09:11:28 AM »

Bump!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic