Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:00:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat does it mean to be Greenlit?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What does it mean to be Greenlit?  (Read 2914 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:25:38 AM »

I understand that once a game reaches a broad enough following, and that presumably Steam likes the concept they choose to greenlight games. But what does this really mean to a developer? Are you likely to succeed after this point?

Curious to know if anyone has experiences to share.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Constan7ine
Level 0

I really like the number 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 03:01:50 AM »

Getting greenlit is just a point where Valve will allow you to release the game on Steam. It isn't much else, and it certainly does not guarantee Steam will feature or market your game in any way.

I've noticed that people's ability to say "yes" they will purchase the game if it were on steam differs vastly from there ability to actually purchase the game.

Greenlight is also a massive popularity contest more than anything else. Rock simulator, despite being a sort of joke game is, or was number one. Not because its a great game, because people think it's amusing.

You most certainly cannot lean on greenlight to get your game to sell like hotcakes.

Hey.... You're nice.
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »

From what I saw early on, being on SGL for indies did provide quite a bit of exposure, but now it seems that the rate of games getting greenlit is increasing rapidly, so it doesn't mean that much to be on SGL any more.  From what I understand, eventually Valve will remove the whole curation process, and turn steam into an app store which will be even worse for us indies.

TwistedJenius
Level 0

Entertainment with Brains, Brains with Bite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »

Are you likely to succeed after this point?

At this point getting on Steam doesn't guarantee any success.  But in most cases, you still need to be on Steam if you want to be successful.  It is by far the largest game distribution platform out there and even though it's accepting more games than ever, and it's much easier to get buried there now, it's still almost essential to get on there if you want to make any real money off of your game.  It's just now easier to get on there, and more difficult to become successful once you are on there.  

Of course there are other ways of becoming successful, in theory.  You may be able to get to enough people to buy your game directly off your own site, for example.  But that too, is one big popularity contest (responding to Constan7ine's observation).  That's what marketing is really, any way you look at it, it's a numbers game.  The only way to become successful is to sell a whole lot of copies of your game.  And the chances of that are significantly increased if you're able to get on Steam because it's just so large and has so many users (meaning potential customers).  

Here's the DevLog of the game I'm currently working on- Reptile Zoo: The Sinister Mutation
Vote for it on Steam Greenlight!
qwurp
Level 0

"Oh you make games? Like an app?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:20:50 PM »

Had two titles Greenlit. One very early into Greenlight and a much smaller game about 2 months ago. The small game will be releasing on Steam soon. I never received a boost in "visibility", "followers", "likes" etc after either Greenlight (early and late). So no real tangible impact other than that the game can be released on Steam when ready.

That being said, (and as mentioned above) you NEED to be on Steam. It's not the gateway to success it once was but it definitely is the gate you have to pass through if you want to sell your game. I also wouldn't call getting through Greenlight "easy", even after they loosed up the standards (first game had over 14k "yes votes" and last one had over 6,000). Either way, you need to generate a relatively significant amount of interest in your game to get through it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic