Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:06:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat's a good budget for an indie game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What's a good budget for an indie game?  (Read 1105 times)
cityracer
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »

Basically, I've just got into game development and I need to hire people. Trouble is, I don't know what an appropriate pay is. I'm developing a 2d adventure game and I'm writing the story, as well as some of the game design. I have to hire a programmer, an artist, a sound/music guy, a level designer, and possibly a voice actor. I'm aiming for a low budget that still allows for good quality. If someone could tell me a good budget for each position, as well as a good overall budget, that would be very helpful.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »

Make games on your time and see for yourself if you can muster such an endeavor, but if you want a rough estimate, you'll need to take into account the time taken into such project.

And you have a collaboration thread in this forum with people offering services.

Yeah.
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:55:38 AM »

I hate to give sort of a non-answer, but it's really how much each individual is willing to accept being paid per month, and then extrapolating outward.  Start of with what you would need as a bare minimum to survive and use that as your benchmark.

dhondon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:07 AM »

Adventure games are expensive to develop (lots of writing, voice and art). Try something easier first. But if you do want to develop an adventure-game, make sure the artist is reliable (usually not the cheapest), so they don't flake on you in the middle of the project.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 02:19:18 AM »

Ideal indie game budget should be as close to zero as possible. Especially if it's your first one.

If you're in a position when you need to hire several people to be able to create your game, re-evaluate your plans and consider picking up more skills yourself.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:14:43 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:57:42 AM »

i agree with teegee, do not try to hire people if it's your first game and you are just learning how things work. i'd recommend making a game yourself first

even if you have a huge amount of money floating around, you shouldn't use it. save it for your second game, or third, after you learn how game development works. otherwise chances are you'll waste it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic