Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:09:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XXXIV - "A Cymbal the Beats"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XXXIV - "A Cymbal the Beats"  (Read 3722 times)
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »

TIGSource Musical Challenge XXXIV - A Cymbal the Beats"

The Concept
For this contest... it's all about the percussion. I love rhythm, and I love pitched percussion on top of that, and it so seldom is used all on it's own without other instrumentation thrown into the mix. For this challenge... you must write a track using solely percussive instrumentation. Bongos, Congas, Timpani, Snare, Toms, Cymbals, Gongs, Windchimes, Xylophone, Marimba, Kalimba, Celesta, Glockenspiel, beatboxing, jew harp, didgeridoo(it's rhythm based so I'll allow it), log drums, bodhran, dulcimer(hit it with a hammer so why not, I'll allow it too), circle bells, all bells, tubular bells, your stomach, your face, etc...

The Rules
You must only use percussive instrumentation.
Pitched percussion is okay
You may use as many percussive sounds as you like.
Track needs to be at least 1 minute in length, try and hit 2 minutes if you can.
You must write the track FOR this challenge, recycling old stuff is a NO.
You may use DSPs to alter the sound of the instrumentation.

Judging Criteria
Following the rules most importantly
Creativity goes a long way
And generally just putting a grin on my face... because ultimately you want me to like the music enough to pick your piece.
Although I said you may use DSPs to alter the sound of the instruments, if you do so heavily that it is an apparent crutch for you, I will factor that into my decision.

Deadline
September 30th, 2014
When I get home from work on October the first I'll stop accepting entries. Why? Because well... that gives you a smidge of hope to get your entry in late, but try to get it in by the end of the 30th.

Closing Thoughts
Just because it's percussion only doesn't mean it has to be entirely rhythm based... you still have percussive instruments that are pitched and can create melody/harmony... the sky is the limit in this challenge, only you will prevent yourself from creating something amazing. But the most important thing, is that you have fun with it!

Now get to bangin'!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:30:04 AM by ZackParrish » Logged

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:51:15 AM »

Tum ti cu pa turutum ta, tatatata. Tum ti cu pa turutum pa'tararatatata Psch!

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:06:27 AM »

Can we time-stretch/alter/effect the percussion so that it doesn't sound like percussion any more?  Like, if I create a sustaining pad sound out of percussion will I be disqualified?

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:27:25 AM »

I'd prefer keeping the sound of the instrument as close to it's original sound as possible, but if you feel the need to use effects as a crutch by all means... do so. I will frown on it though(not a lot... unless the whole piece sounds like 80's scifi music with the pads).

Just make sure if you do opt to do such a thing, you explain it in your entry's post.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »

... unless the whole piece sounds like 80's scifi music with the pads).

Was this bit really necessary? Tongue

Regardless, I'm interested in attempting something. Are we allowed to use anything that's percussive in nature? As comprehensive as that list is, it may not suffice for some musicians, though I personally will try.

EDIT: on second thought, since you seem to have been implying that I'm not welcome to this challenge simply because of what I usually use, I'll just sit back and listen to those who were invited. Tongue Not that I was going to go for something retro necessarily, FYI.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:38:03 AM by PythonBlue » Logged

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »

Wasn't implying anything with the statement... just don't want people using that type of sound alteration as a crutch and negating the whole purpose of the challenge. If the whole piece just sounds like a chordal and has no actual 'rhythmic' elements to it, I'll be inclined to shrug off the entry.  But if a clear use of percussive instruments is made then I'm okay with it in moderation. 

Synthetic percussion is still percussion, which is what I'm assuming you are asking. I will allow such things like a percussive bass, since it technically is percussive in nature. FM Bells are also okay.

If it sounds percussive, by all means, use it. But like I said... try to avoid using anything as a crutch.

And this challenge is actually much more lenient than my other idea... which was to use nothing but sounds made by your body(singing, slapping, flicking cheeks, farting, burping, humming, whistling, etc). But considering the limitations a lot of people would face with that I opted to do the percussion one instead.

I'd still like to hear an entry from you, so please do try to come up with something.

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »

Congrats, Zack!  Solid challenge.  Looking forward to hearing what's being made Smiley

ModalModule
Level 0

Composer for hire!! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 11:43:14 PM »

Just joined and already have something fun to build, woohoo! Thanks for the challenge.
What's the prize? ;P

Composer for hire! If you need music, of any kind, email: [email protected]
Current OSTs: http://modalmodule.bandcamp.com
My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/stephan-kalani-seguin
My YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/Kalaniseguin
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 05:30:54 AM »

Prize is that you get to host the next challenge.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »

Changed my mind and decided to enter. That being said, however, I do have one more question, though it likely won't apply to what I make: are pianos permitted? Those instruments are arguably percussion, if you'd prefer against that, though, then I'll see what I can do with mallets and such when it comes to melody.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »

This is intresting! I was just starting to study the Pozzoli because I lacked some theory on the rythm side of things! I'll be entering this one aswell (:
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

Hmmm... I'll allow it in moderation but I would prefer piano be avoided since it kind of veers off from typical percussion.

Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 11:16:26 AM »

Hmmm... I'll allow it in moderation but I would prefer piano be avoided since it kind of veers off from typical percussion.

Is it allowed to use SFX for percussion purposes? One thing that passed through my mind was using tribal shouts and chants and a lot of percussions to make a sort of ritualistic song, how ok would that be?
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »

That's fine.

ModalModule
Level 0

Composer for hire!! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »

Fart sounds ok? Mine can be quite percussive. Wink
But seriously I'm excited about this, I've played drums my whole life, so rhythm is the thing I have explored the most. Smiley

Composer for hire! If you need music, of any kind, email: [email protected]
Current OSTs: http://modalmodule.bandcamp.com
My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/stephan-kalani-seguin
My YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/Kalaniseguin
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »

Hmm...far sounds... why not.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 07:07:38 AM »

Finally get to use all those muted acoustic guitar sounds I recorded so many years ago......ah, digital hoarding......I love it when it pays off!

Nathan Cleary
Level 0

Professional Composer & Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/nathan-cleary-123/march-of-the-kalimbas

Here's my Entry, Composed today I hope you enjoy and best of luck to everyone involved! Smiley

Thanks,
Nathan

---- Video Games Composer & Sound Designer - www.NathanClearyMusic.co.uk - Discord: NathanCleary1#5718  ----
Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »

Great job Nathan, that's really nice!

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
YogX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 04:18:08 AM »

Really nice work Nathan, but -  and this is a question to y'all - I think it kind of missed the purpose of this challenge... no?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic