Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:18:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTo Git or not to Gitfiddle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: To Git or not to Gitfiddle  (Read 645 times)
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:02:07 AM »

Hello! This thread is for all my guitar'in friends out there.

I have, for a LONG time, wanted to invest in a nylon string guitar. Not solely for composing purposes, but for performing.

I am currently composing for a soundtrack that, truthfully, would greatly benefit from a nylon's touch. I'm at a point where I REALLY want to buy one. Like, REALLY. The thing is, I don't want to get anything crazy expensive, mainly because... I need to invest in other areas.

My dilemma lies in buying an instrument/recording.

I'm used to the moniker, "It's not the instrument, it's the performer".
Basically,  it doesn't matter how bad it is (to a degree), if you know what to do, you can get a good sound out of any instrument.
If I purchase an inexpensive nylon, would it fair in a recorded setting? I truly believe that it would, based on my skill. Not saying that I'm going to buy a complete piece of garbage, but I'm looking to spend no more than $150 for one.

Should I wait and save up for a more intermediate body? Will the sound ultimately depend on my skill, therefore, it won't be that bad a decision?

I'm hoping to get some feedback before I scamper off, because it's looking like a purchase is happening.
Soon.

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:37:48 AM »

I would suggest going to a guitar store and actually 'testing the waters' with several different ones to get a feel for the differences. You may also find some good info about them by searching for video reviews on youtube, because in some cases they will do comparisons between models(helps you hear the difference in the sound quality).

As for people that say 'a good music can make anything sound good'... @#$% them.  I  argued with someone on twitter about that before... there is a distinct difference in sound when it comes to the acoustics of a guitar.  Build quality makes a massive difference. Something as small as string height(on the fret board) can have a tremendous impact on the sound of the guitar(and also impact the performer).

As far as brands that might be in your price range... You've got Yamaha, Cordoba, and Washburn.  Yamaha can at times make a solid build of a guitar, but can also make one sound really cheap, so definitely play it/hear it before buying one of them.  Washburn's higher priced stuff sounds great, but their lower end stuff not so much. Usually suffers from a pretty thin sound. Cordoba I haven't really had any personal experience with.

I have played with 'pricier' nylons before and have heard several that sounded mediocre to bad compared to ones between $100 - $250. The price tag, really plays no part in how well something will sound/play. Taylor makes some astounding sounding guitars, sure... but they also make some relatively bad sounding ones. Same goes for Martin, Gibson, Breedlove, etc... So don't let a small price tag effect your decision to purchase something... but also don't just buy something because it IS cheap.

Oh, and I definitely do not recommend Ibanez for an acoustic... period. I've never played an Ibanez acoustic and walked away thinking 'That sounded/felt great'. They can make some killer electrics at times, but their acoustics... bleh.

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »

A good guitar player should be able to create a musically compelling performance on just about any guitar they pick up, but whether or not that performance fits with the musical aesthetic of the game is a different matter.

As Zach said, try to play as many guitars in-store as you can and listen for the sound you want. You may find that you like the sound of a cheaper guitar best. Or you may find that only the really expensive guitars sound and play at the caliber you want.

One additional point I'll make: make sure you save room in your budget to get the guitar setup by a professional. ESPECIALLY in cheaper guitars, this can make a huge difference in terms of playability and intonation

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

You both bring up points that I had thought of, but not extensively.
Needless to say, I'll make it a point to do my research.

medieval
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 11:43:24 PM »

I've got a Motion that cost about €120 (~$160), after 9 years of owning the thing it's still doing me good and it has a nice and deep sound. I think there's definitely decent guitars available in that price range. Just make sure that it doesn't sound like it's made out of cardboard or something (i know a guy who made an electric out of cardboard though.. that was neat) and if it doesn't sound cheap or in any way bad, then you can make it sound good by playing skillfully and adding a little reverb after the fact Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic