Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:25:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHighlands - Kickstarter Campaign until oct 29
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Highlands - Kickstarter Campaign until oct 29  (Read 7602 times)
BurritoJo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »

We are currently in our Kickstarter campaign.  Our success depends on the gaming community.  Thank you all!

Highlands Kickstarter

Highlands is a hand drawn turn-based Risk-style strategy game set high up in the clouds.

You play the heirs of a powerful family.  After being sent in exile by your foes who sneakily took over your flying citadel with an army of treacherous swarm bots, you need to regain what is rightfully yours, find powerful allies and rally the population along the way.

The gameplay is a little like Risk, with you strategically deciding which sectors your limited troops will attack, defend or abandon to the enemy, and then fighting in turn based battles.  There are some pretty high priority targets for you to capture however, as certain buildings will give you a crucial advantage in battle.  Here are some spritesheets of a fort you have to secure and hold and some sector you have to claim again.

You’ll also have to manage resources, our current stats bar has the leadership stat, the food stat and the scraps stats for crafting your own items, we will also be implementing a morale stat.  

Here’s a shot of what a map currently looks like:

We've been hard at work trying to close the core-mechanics so that we can move more towards a content creation phase but the it's requiring much more time than we've anticipated.  We are making progress though, and i'll share the rest of our progress here in this devlog

When battling the enemies, a fight screen pops up where you have to make sure you end up on the winning side, if you do, you gain territory, you don’t? You lose that territory.

For the graphics we have a style which is very light and vibrant while at the same time going progressively darker as the story progresses.  Here one of the main protagonist

The music is made by the talented beagleword and we are working with a sound designer to have all the sounds we need.

Highlands is a work in progress.  I decided to start a devlog for two reasons.  First we are trying to get the word out there about our game, but second and most importantly, we are currently facing a lot of issues which we initially thought would not take that much of our production time.  By explaining our progression and challenges, I’m hoping some of you guys will give me feedback and also bring in a new perspective on how to look at certain aspects of the game.

If any of you is interested in trying out our beta, let me know and I’ll be more than happy to send you a beta key.
Site: http://www.burritostudio.com/
Blog: http://burritostudio.blogspot.ca/

I hope you find this project interesting, please feel free to ask, suggest, comment or otherwise contribute.  The devlog will focus mainly on game design, but I’ll try to cover as broadly as I can the production on a more technical aspect.  

Jonathan
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:08:19 AM by BurritoJo » Logged
danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »

Wow that is some fantastic hand-painted art!

BurritoJo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:46:02 AM »

Thanks Danieru. 

I won't be posting too many artsy stuff in here since it's more about game development but if you're Blink curious you can always check out our production blog, we're always posting a bunch of illustrations.
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:29:14 AM »

Art is just as much a part of game development as anything else BurritoJo! Looks amazing so far Smiley

BurritoJo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »

You're so right, and i'm glad you enjoy it.

Here's one of the modular buildings we are currently designing for our urban district.

BurritoJo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »

Devlog Udate #1 03/09/2014

Today we spent some time covering how the story will evolve throughout the game with story ‘bits’ that will pop up and drive the flow of the story.  For now we call them ‘random events’.

‘Random events’ are basically triggers and work like so:  We have scripts called ‘hotspots’ instantiated in each sector. Hotspots are where an action takes place.  For an event like “character X needs to defuse a mine” we create a script called ‘DefuseTrigger’, input the behavior and then attach it to the hotspot. 

Those triggers can be anything from story development to good loot to even surprise enemy attacks.  A sector you control with a hotspot with the DefuseTrigger activated will give this situation when sending a character ‘investigate’ the hotspot.

So far things are looking good, we just need to produce a lot of them!
BurritoJo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »

DevLog update #2 - 05/09/2014

BurritoLo and BurritoFrank have been working hard all week creating the terrain sprites for map2 sectors.  The game progresses by sectors you control and each sector has a distinct spritesheet. 
This is the map 2 sector placement.

We’re implementing a first set which is basically the perimeter, (grass, cement, boundaries) as well as some special buildings.  Later on we will add various building sprites, and then after that a bunch of other sprites like barrels, flags, etc to make things more alive.

So I’m working on 2d polygon colliders to recognize sector boundaries.  Without these polygons colliders, recognition of a sector is fuzzy and often overlap on each other, which means when you hover your mouse on a sector and you click on it, you are actually selecting its neighbour oftentimes. It was useless to make recognition colliders without actually having the dimension of the official sectors themselves.

Each sector is recognized when hovering.

We’re also fixing and optimizing map1 (the tutorial) So that things are more intuitive and reflect the current changes we’ve recently made in the game.  That should make it for a better experience when trying the game.
If anybody is interested in giving it a try and give me feedback.  Let me know!

BurritoJo
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »

Highlands is looking beautiful Jonathan, can't wait to see more!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 05:47:49 PM »

If you could shoot a beta key this way, I would be glad to give some personal feedback.

BurritoJo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »

@Mere_Monkey

You will, i'll be updating this log frequently, and we are moving at an amazing pace. 

@Yaomon17

Awesome possum.  We are actually releasing a new build some time around monday.  I'll toss a key for you when it's live.
yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:25:03 PM »

Sure. I would probably prefer an email to [email protected] since I check that more often. Good luck!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:35 AM »

Wow this looks great! It kinda looks like a mix between the art style of bastion and that viking strategy game that was kickstarted a while back. If you're still looking for beta testers, I'd love to try it out and give some feedback.

BTW, there's another devlog on Tigforums with a game called Hardland, which has been here a little longer. Consider changing your name, but it's not that important

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40541.0

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 01:42:59 AM »

You must have spent hours painting this stuff Waaagh!

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 08:29:18 AM »

Amazing art! This is how I'd dreamed my game looks like Wink

One day, I will live in theory, because in theory, everything is possible!
Devlogs: Wind Fortress (RPG) and Sandbox Adventure (Visual Novels)
BurritoJo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 05:37:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I'm glad you all like the art.  We're putting an insane amount of time and effort on it.  Cheers  Beer!

@CorazonAzul
That's a great idea.  We already have a windmill sprite but we can push that feel much further with windmill-type-technology buildings.  I'll talk about it with the team.

@s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Actually i'm the game designer so i didn't do any of this, but our team has spent countless hours on all this stuff.  All of the game will look like this.

@Impmaster
You're probably talking about Banner Saga... yea we get that a lot, the game will play very differently but it does indeed have a very bright and painterly look. 

I'll contact everyone who's interested on monday with a beta-key for our new build so if anybody else wants one, let me know here.  If you want me to drop the key in an e-mail, leave me your address in the post.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:44:51 PM by BurritoJo » Logged
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »

wow, hand painted stuff never ceases to amaze, does it. this is really cool

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Gamedragon
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »

Well, I wouldn't mind a beta key because this looks awesome and I love strategy games.
DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »

Same for me!

One day, I will live in theory, because in theory, everything is possible!
Devlogs: Wind Fortress (RPG) and Sandbox Adventure (Visual Novels)
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 03:05:10 PM »

same here!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
BurritoJo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »

devlog update#3 08/09/2014

So today we're crunching to release our build, version 0.4

The colliders for the new map (the map is called 'upper city' for now) are done and i revised those of the tutorial map. BurritoAl is working on implementing all the UI changes, BurritoLo made the awesome visual level design for the upper city as well as some additional assets, and BurritoFrank has uploaded the city sector which has been a huge task he's been working on all week and it's not even finished yet, (there are still some areas which are not completely painted, can you guess which one???)   Hand Any Key

We're working hard today to release it before nightfall and there's still lots to do.  I'm not sure we'll be able to pull it off.  If not it'll have to be tomorrow.  Blockers are mainly with the tutorial map.  The tutorial is a bit outdated with the recent rework and the game without a tutorial is very confusing in it's current state.

I'd show you the city district because that has been one hell of a job but that would spoil the fun wouldn't it  Corny Laugh

In the meantime, here are some screenshots of the concept art made by the amazing BurritoElo for the first enemy you will encounter: The Swarm.

The final version in battle will look like this.

Alone they are not very threatening as they are rather small in size, but a whole bunch of 'em and you get the idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic