Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:06:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSelling songs made with nes or genesis chips
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Selling songs made with nes or genesis chips  (Read 895 times)
Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:42:23 AM »

Hello,

There was a simmilar question made before about SNES sounds but I decided to do a new post anyways.

I was wandering if doing music with the famitracker or deflemask (tracker for genesis) and then selling it would be legal. I have no idea, and I cannot find it easily on the internet.

Help!

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 03:09:14 AM »

I don't see why not. The two trackers you posted are basically instruments, which happen to be free and virtual. They don't do the composing for you, and it's obviously legal to sell music made on instruments you own.

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:55:37 AM »

I don't see why not. The two trackers you posted are basically instruments, which happen to be free and virtual. They don't do the composing for you, and it's obviously legal to sell music made on instruments you own.

That's right but they emulate chips (Yamaha YM2612,  RP2A03) that I suppose were sold commercially. Like emulating a rom of a game you dont have is illegal maybe emulating this chips that I dont have is also illegal

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:11:58 AM »

Chips generated the tones dynamically and were not sample based so there is nothing to steal unless somehow someone manages to copyright simple waveforms like square, triangle, sine, etc.

You have nothing to worry about in that front.

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:36:04 PM »

Chips generated the tones dynamically and were not sample based so there is nothing to steal unless somehow someone manages to copyright simple waveforms like square, triangle, sine, etc.

You have nothing to worry about in that front.

Ok, it actually makes sense  Smiley

amushel
Level 0

Nice jump, human.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »

Yeah. The main difference between something like NES/Genesis/Commodore 64 and the SNES is the those chips are really just tiny analogue synthesizers, where the SNES is sample-based. All of those Genesis patches can be replicated given the right hardware (or software emulation) and the right settings. The SNES sounds would require the original audio files which were created specifically for the games.

Game Audio Designer and Composer.
andrewmushel.com | Soundcloud | Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic