Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:41:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsSeeking 2D Character Pixel Artist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seeking 2D Character Pixel Artist  (Read 905 times)
Posthuman Wizard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2014, 01:56:35 PM »

Hello, everyone. I am interested in speaking with 2D pixel/sprite artists about additional help for a game our team intends to release and sell upon completion. Our team currently consists of 4 individuals; a primary programmer/designer, a character artist, an environment artist, and a secondary/apprentice programmer. We are all full-time employed or full-time students, working on this project in our off-hours and on the weekends without active pay; this is largely a passion project, but one that we hope can be turned into a successful, polished product and open doors into independent game development as a career. Due to personal obligations, our current character artist, while still contributing to our project, will be doing so on a less frequent basis, which is why we are looking for additional artistic talent.

While not an artist, I can create rough pixel art myself; the difficulty is that I have no such skill in creating animated sprites that are functional in-game. I can also colour sprites; we will primarily need animation key frames (that do not need to be coloured). A video of a rough pre-alpha combat prototype of our game has been uploaded to Youtube, and the link to it is at the end of this post; I am responsible for the enemy artwork, which needs to be edited and changed for perspective and animation reasons, whereas our character artist is responsible for the animated player.

To summarize the basic mechanics of our game, it is a side-scrolling "lift 'em up" where the player controls a character who can lift objects up to a certain weight, and can throw objects at other enemies as an attack (And those lifted/thrown objects may be other enemies). If the thrown object collides with an object/enemy that weighs less than itself, it will "chain" said object, becoming a larger, combined object with its weight being the sum of its constituent parts; otherwise, if the object it collides with is heavier, then it will be destroyed (The object that it collided with will also have its weight decreased by the weight of the destroyed chain/object). All thrown objects and chains are destroyed when they hit a barrier or exit the screen; upon destruction, a value is calculated based on the number of enemies within the chain times the weight of the chain, which increases both the player's score and the player's adrenaline level. The player's adrenaline level is represented by a meter at the top of the screen; when it is maxed out, the player's "muscle level" increases (if it is not already at the maximum muscle level), allowing the player to lift heavier objects. However, the adrenaline level decreases at all times, and if it falls to zero, the player's muscle level will decrease (if it is not already at the minimum muscle level). The combat demo below exists to demonstrate these basic mechanics, but not the side-scrolling nature of the game and its intended level design.

If you are interested in helping us out, please email me at [email protected]; if you seem like a good fit to collaborate with us, we will negotiate contract terms and compensation (Which will most likely be in the form of a profit cut). Ultimately, our team is based on a foundation of mutual trust, respect, and understanding; we want to make sure that everyone is comfortable and heard at all times.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic