Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:30:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessKickstarter: Any Tips for Maximising Day 1 Backers?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter: Any Tips for Maximising Day 1 Backers?  (Read 1210 times)
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:44:40 PM »

Hey Guys,
I'm about to start my first kickstarter project next Wednesday for my game Phantasmal:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309320714

I've read that I will basically need 10% of my funding goal (15k NZD) on Day 1, which seems like it could be a daunting amount.

I've done everything that I can think of, or have researched for Launch Day including:
  • Contacting close friends and family and asking them ahead of time to make a pledge on Day 1
  • Prepared an extensive mailing list from my own contacts, and youtubers/reviewers to mass email
  • Prepared announcements on various forums & social media
  • Will launch a Steam Greenlight Campaign simultaneously

It does still feel like I'm rolling massive dice - I can't guess even approximately what the results will be for Day 1.  Is this normal, is success with a campaign typically a big crapshoot?

Do you have any tips for maximizing chances for making 10% in day 1?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:52:01 PM by joe_eyemobi » Logged

Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:39:58 PM »

Not to bring in hindsight bias here, but what kind of marketing have you done for the game? Daily sharing on social media? Keeping a dev log? Growing a mailing list of interested followers? A lot of times it's not particularly how many you reach out to on day one but how big a ball you've got rolling before day one hits.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:27:50 AM »

^

Also you can reward early birds. Something like the first 200 people gets X for $20, but the next few people need to pledge $30 for X.
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »

Not to bring in hindsight bias here, but what kind of marketing have you done for the game? Daily sharing on social media? Keeping a dev log? Growing a mailing list of interested followers? A lot of times it's not particularly how many you reach out to on day one but how big a ball you've got rolling before day one hits.

Yeah, I've done all of the above except for creating a devlog.  I didn't get much in the way of responses there so I focused my efforts in other areas.  I guess in retrospect, I could have done a bit more with it to make it more appealing, so it's definitely something I will work on for next time.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »

That's a great tip thanks! Coffee

^

Also you can reward early birds. Something like the first 200 people gets X for $20, but the next few people need to pledge $30 for X.

qwurp
Level 0

"Oh you make games? Like an app?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »

Leverage family and friends for the launch if you dont have much of a following elsewhere.

Regular (and meaningful) updates (without spamming) will help incentivize early backers who start pulling for your project as you progress. People love to see progress and it helps reiterate to them that they made a great decision to back your project. I had a small campaign last year and at least 20-30 backers (367 total backers) bump their pledges over the month. One from $7 (early backer) to $10, 20, 50, 75 and finally $125.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »

Ah that is useful to know! So keeping everyone updated could potentially lead to them upgrading their backing levels.
Thanks for the info  Gentleman

Leverage family and friends for the launch if you dont have much of a following elsewhere.

Regular (and meaningful) updates (without spamming) will help incentivize early backers who start pulling for your project as you progress. People love to see progress and it helps reiterate to them that they made a great decision to back your project. I had a small campaign last year and at least 20-30 backers (367 total backers) bump their pledges over the month. One from $7 (early backer) to $10, 20, 50, 75 and finally $125.

ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »

Sounds like you're already doing all the things. I don't think it ever feels like a sure thing, until you've passed that funding goal anyway.  Good luck Smiley

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »

Thanks Coley Smiley  Yeah I have that constant niggling feeling that I've forgotten something!  Gomez
I'm glad to say that I've made 10% on day 1 today. I just hope the momentum keeps going!

Here's my KS link if you guys wouldn't mind checking it out  Smiley
http://kck.st/1AvvYDM

Sounds like you're already doing all the things. I don't think it ever feels like a sure thing, until you've passed that funding goal anyway.  Good luck Smiley

ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »

Nice!  Looks like you're doing well on Greenlight too.  Can't wait for the demo Smiley

Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 02:03:15 AM »

Thanks Coley Smiley  Yeah I have that constant niggling feeling that I've forgotten something!  Gomez
I'm glad to say that I've made 10% on day 1 today. I just hope the momentum keeps going!

Congrats !

Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »

Congrats dude! I saw some of your other KS announcement posts, keep up the good work Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right I've already shared with some friends who would like your project.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »

Thanks man much appreciated!  Smiley  Every bit of exposure helps a great deal  Beer!

Congrats dude! I saw some of your other KS announcement posts, keep up the good work Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right I've already shared with some friends who would like your project.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic