Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:55:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsBrowser project seeking a javascript/coffeescript coder
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Browser project seeking a javascript/coffeescript coder  (Read 734 times)
krazyjakee
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:53:26 AM »

Hi there,
I am seeking somebody to help develop an experimental browser-based 2d mmo survival rpg engine.

Since I have no disposable income at the moment I must deliver you the old "share of the profits" offer, but if you are comfortable with this then please read on.

Ideally you would have web developer/javascript experience and understand the syntax of SVG.
Game network programming knowledge is preferred as this is something I really have little understanding of.
Coffeescript knowledge is a bonus, but if not, then I'd be happy to show you the ropes of it's (controversially) awesome syntax.

The Mystalia Engine is essentially a toolkit that allows people to make such games easily and inspire the creation of graphics, music and story in it's community. The effort behind this thread is an attempt to revive the first iteration (

) made back in 2011. Now that nodejs & socket.io are more mature, the engine is capable of being seen through to a full release. FYI it was shown at a nodejs meet-up in san francisco in 2012 where people saw a great potential in socket.io for browser games. I'd like to set an example of that.

The client is currently made up using dom elements and it functions surprisingly well. The reason I chose dom elements is because they come with such great features out of the box such as a javascript api and stylesheets. Graphics can be enhanced using SVG in modern browsers like this lighting demo: http://jsfiddle.net/krazyjakee/dx7stsag/show/

The client & server are written in coffeescript which has helped me to keep a clean codebase with minimal line-count (which is how I prefer to work).

As for work-flow, I have a private github repo and skype. I can't think of anything else we may need Smiley
Even if you are just interested in the project, please add me on skype: jakecattrall

Thanks!
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:32:17 AM »

Why don't you just opensource it and look for collaborators ?

I have 2 yrs of coffeescript exp. and sadly have to work with svg professionally occasionaly, but I don't get why you use svg for those bitmap sprites, I'd have a look at PIXI.js or something similar for rendering.

I might be interested, but very pressed for time, I don't really care about share of the profits (it's atleast not my primary concern)  and I'd like to have a peek at your codebase.
krazyjakee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:03:46 AM »

I'm not really sure why it's not open source, I guess I foolishly associated commercial project with closed source. Will amend asap.

I am using divs and styling for the tiles and SVGs for effects. It's quite smooth.
I would LOVE for you to see the codebase and have added you as a collaborator.

Thanks very much  Beer!

EDIT: https://github.com/krazyjakee/MystaliaEngine
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:18:41 AM by krazyjakee » Logged
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »

hey cool!

do you have some roadmap or todo list or something?
or what are the things you would like help in?

about the opensource: I am no business guy, but I would assume if this would become a commercial hit it would be unwise to have it floating on github, but pragmatically looking at it and the way you write about it it seems more like an experimental engine or framework, in which I see no loss in offering it to as many people possible.
krazyjakee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »

I will put the roadmap up as github issues: https://github.com/krazyjakee/MystaliaEngine/issues
If you would like to assign any of these to yourself, I would be very grateful.

The technical side is all new to me so please don't assume I have any sort of "plan" for how to implement these features. Anything you do to get it working I will be VERY satisfied with.

Once we get some multiplayer features working, I will get a VPS to put the latest dev build onto and we can start showing it off.

EDIT: now playable at http://mystalia.com/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:57:08 PM by krazyjakee » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic