Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:50:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: []  (Read 2535 times)
CorazonAzul
[]
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »

[]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:20:01 PM by CorazonAzul » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »

First of all, that is a really well-made post. I like how you showed exactly what's in the archive, mentioned that it doesn't require an install and actually included screenshots.

Anyway, the game is pretty good. Some of the dialogue feels a bit stilted at the beginning, with all those unfinished lines ending with "..." but it's not absolutely terrible. There was at least one dialogue issue I noticed ("we protect them" instead of something like "we could protect them", and "these animals have became monsters" instead of "have become").

I found it strange that the screen goes black before Jacob enters at the beginning, even though it's still the same room after he enters. Why doesn't he just enter?

You say that it can be scaled. How do I do that? Your game manual is pretty nice, but it only mentions in-game things. I also think that a key config could be good. In my case, Z and X works fine, but some people don't have QWERTY keyboards.

I don't generally like it when a game closes if I press Escape. Some sort of "Are you sure?" confirmation box would be nice. I'm too used to pressing Escape to open a menu, so sometimes I do it automatically.

I feel like Jacob and Sibil look too similar. Outside, the lightning just looked like a glitch without rain graphics, thunder, or rain sounds.

The music is pretty nice, but I feel like the loop is far too short.

For me, it feels strange to select "Go" in combat before choosing my target. It makes me feel like I've missed a step. I also wish it would remember which enemy I targeted last (either with the specific character or just in general).

Seeing damage numbers when I hit enemies doesn't mean anything to me if I don't know how much HP they have.

It was unclear what "Break" did. I thought it looked like it "broke" the enemy's defenses, but it didn't last long enough for my other character to attack.

I couldn't get past the first battle for quite a while. I love the idea of puzzle-like battles, but without the tip from Versa, I had no idea what to do. Both my attacks seemed to do the same thing, so I felt like I was missing something. Having the "Break" attack in the list for that first battle seemed to imply that I was supposed to use it in some way.

I think I found a glitch. In that first battle, both boars attacked the same character even though I'd hit them each with a different person. I still managed to win, just barely, but that went against everything I'd been told about them.

Anyway, despite finding that first battle a bit frustrating, I think the game is pretty great. The world is interesting. The puzzle-battle concept is good. The music and graphics are fairly nice. I also like the little touches like entering/leaving a building and having the viewable area change. Very nice work.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »

Apparently I should have read the manual properly. I didn't expect the game to be so unintuitive, but it seems there's a lot in there that you have to know about and can't just find on your own (like "Info Mode"). I didn't even know how to access the menu, though, so I probably should've checked that. I guess I normally go into games expecting to figure out all the controls instantly.

The longest songs are about 45 seconds before looping. I can't do much without going against my first goal...

They may have to be short, but that doesn't mean they have to be repetitive. Some of my favourite Gameboy music was by a guy called Alberto Gonzelez (aka. McAlby) for games like Turok: Rage Wars for the GBC. I don't know if he did RPG music, but I think it's worth listening to anyway. It seems like a lot of his tracks have at least three fairly distinct sections, so when it loops again you feel like you've listened to a very complete musical piece because the end is quite different from the beginning (but still transitions perfectly).

When it is your turn in battle, press the button to cancel until the characters' and monsters' stats appear.

Maybe one option to streamline things would be to show the fractional HP of the monster when you hit them (something like "-4   20/80hp"). That looks a little messy, but I haven't put a lot of time into working it out. If someone needs more info, they can use that other mode but it shouldn't really be necessary to see something like enemy HP, in my opinion.

Maybe it was a bad idea for two main characters to be students together on a monochromatic platform lol. I'll explore telling them apart more.

I think it's mainly that they have very similar hair.

...the thunder may have to go if it's too strange for too many people.

One option would be to have a character say something like, "Oh, it's started raining." That would at least make it clear what's going on. When I first saw the flashes as I was walking, I thought it was a graphical glitch from the map graphics not refreshing properly.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
DMJohn0X
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:08:36 AM »

I've been watching this project for a LONG time. I'll play through and give you my thoughts, brother.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »

good

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 04:34:11 AM »

Thanks Smiley It's a pretty generous demo that I don't think anyone has finished 100% so far

Well, I think I did! Six stars and demo over.

So, my mini review:

First of all, I had GREAT fun. (So, by the way, thank you for sharing!!!)
In brief, it works. It really does! Way to go!

About CLARITY:

Yes, I had quite a few problems, at first, understanding what was going on with the combat system.
Then again, I'm not an expert of the genre ("Asian" RPGs), so maybe that's the reason.

In any case, part of the fun I had was figuring things out.

I didn't read the manual before finishing the demo. If I did, I think it would have been too much of a spoiler, especially the monsters part. Even more so, considering that there's a NPC whose role is exactly "leaking" info about monsters.

Among the things that I totally failed to understand, at first, about the COMBAT SYSTEM:
* I failed to understand what all the icons stood for, etc.
E.g. that the 'circle' icons means 'target'
* I failed to distinguish between HP, damage, armor, time, etc.
In facts, I was seeing a lot of numbers, really many, with no clear meaning,
and that was really confusing.
* Especially the numbers about time: it took some time before understanding they were about time.

But, slowly, all pieces came together and it was really great fun.
So I think it is more or less good as it is.

Suggestions for improvements:

Maybe some NPC could tell the player what each icon stands for. Like the ones for target, HP, DEF, etc.
For example, with a dialog. "I'm an icon expert. Are you curious about any in particular?"
and you get to choose any icon as a "reply", and you are told everything about it.

Maybe add a small hourglass icon, next to any number referred to "time". E.g. when confirming the move:
"Total: 14X", X being the hourglass icon, and so on. Also, in the timeline diagram on lower right.

About CONCEPT:

Very interesting how RPG meets puzzle gaming. Super nice!
I liked that, but maybe I found it too tilted toward 'puzzle' and not 'RPG' enough.
I mean, I felt that maybe too much was lost of the original RPG concept (see below).

There's also a problem of clarity with that (again).
At first, it wasn't clear to me, for example, that:
* defeat in combat doesn't imply any penalty
* recover of lost HP / KO's after combat is istantatenus.
* there's no freedom in choice of next battle
* winning again the same battle doesn't award any additional gain (XP / loot / etc). At first, I was imagining I had to beef up winning previous battles multiple times in order to be ready for the next battle (when, instead, I just had to plan my moves better).
* ...not even improving the last outcome (i.e. winning with no KO a battle that was won with a KO before) awards anything.
* When you replay a battle so to improve the outcame, you start with the stats you used to have when you first fought.
* in summary, there's never need to go back at previous places (even after you've beefed up elsewhere).

When I found out about the last point, I think I was a bit taken aback.

Yes, I had been warned that "it's not a standard RPG", but still I expected that at least the most fundamental element of RPG to be there: that your characters "grow up" (by means of levels, skills, equipment, whatever) and by doing so they become able to face challenges which used to be beyond them.

Maybe that element, a distinctive one of RPG, could have been preserved more.
E.g., by allowing players to freely choose any one of a number of battles, but not all of them beatable immediately.

For example: you have battle A, B, C, but, say, battle B, as it turns out, cannot be won without the power-ups you get after winning battle C and A. It would be up to the player (and part of the 'puzzle') to find out which battle are already winnable and which are not yet winnable. This would make each 'puzzle' only more interesting, because you cannot be sure there's a solution.
In can go even further: for example, it could be that you can win battle A, but only with a KO. But, by doing so, you gain some bonus stats. With this, you can now win battle B, which gives you some extra stats/skills/etc with which you can go back to A and this time win for real, without KOs.

That would be nice because growing up and going back and being able to do stuff you couldn't before is one important part of the RPG experience.

About GAMEPLAY details:

* Amazing how everything works with just two buttons, including a quite complex GUI and online info system.
And it works really smoothly! Well done. I especially liked the info about monsters.

* The opening sequence was a bit longer than I would have liked.

* Often, I messed up a combat, and just wanted to start over, but found no way to do so except to patiently wait to get killed, or quit the game and run it again. I wished I had some an easier/quicker option (maybe an action called "retreat" or "surrender" or "flee" or something).

* it is a bit disappointing that there's no way to go back at what NPC said to you before their current line. For example, this happens with the "monsters expert" NPC. Maybe, a reply option "Tell me again" or something, which goes back to the previous line, recursively.

* As noted by others, I think English is a bit sloppy at times, but always understandable.

About STORYLINE:

Captivating!
Very good, to be something conveyed by such a small amount of text!

About GRAPHICS:

Adorable! Also, great job with the palettes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:55:39 AM by mtarini » Logged

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »

Please, please, please, make this available for mac.  I am really interested in this game, and I'm not able to play it at the moment. 
bynine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 05:46:50 AM »

hey bud! this is a darn cool thing you're making here. i wrote some notes of feedback as i played, here they are, hopefully they help!

opening gets started immediately, i like it!
a little sound that plays when text appears would be nice
the palette is a nice touch. i like oxide.
the built in manual is also cool!
sprites and tilesets are on point. love the shadows the buildings cast.
overworld music is dope.

overworld itself looks pretty plain though, animated ocean and some more varied tiles wouldn't go amiss
you should list the monster name somewhere when targetting it
"lost 1 heart" when hit strikes me as redundant considering how easy it is to see that
love the monster sprites, their names also feel very properly old-school-RPG
levelling up after just 1 easy fight feels weird, especially since you don't again for a while
battles feel very polished and natural graphically. not having to heal after combat is a blessing.
however, there's not much tension to it since you know exactly how much HP you and the enemy will do to one another every turn. this combined with the inability to flee makes combat start feeling like a liability very quickly
lol, ogul's music was unexpected. cool though, feels unique
i like the oguls!!

it said i got a new tech "corner" after levelling up but i don't see it anywhere
encounter rate on the overworld is very high...
the boss encounter was cool at first, but since it seems to follow an exact pattern it quickly lost interest. if it could occasionally attack normally that would make things more lively
save point graphic is awkward, a chrono trigger style sparkle would be cool

https://bynine.itch.io/ - check out my games here!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic