Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:10:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeAssist me in deciding whether or not to move forward with my game concept
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Assist me in deciding whether or not to move forward with my game concept  (Read 1115 times)
Siegfreide
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »

Hey there, y'all!

I'd like to produce a really fun and short arena-style mecha game, but something that wont take too much time (ideally, I'd like to spend no longer than 2 months on this project). With that in mind, I present the general mechanics I've thought of. Please, feel free to constructively criticize and/or offer suggestions on what you feel I should keep, get rid of, or improve upon.

Post-apocalypse. The remaining vestiges of humanity persist in a desert wasteland, covering most or all of the world. The people's tired activities of general day to day survival have but one alleviation; The Mecharena. Here, engineers come to battle their mechs for fame, status, and power (cliche, I know, but I'm working with 2 months here lmao).

Core mechanics;
  • Central arena as a means for game progression
  • RPG turn-based combat (multiple mechs per team)/top-down shmup (just one mech for you)
  • Large amount of mech customization
  • Standard mech parts can be obtained from a part shop, but the best parts must be made from components found by the player (AKA, crafting is a thing)
  • Maybe light world exploration, to fight "rogue mechs" for the above mentioned components
  • A set of engineer skills for the player, and the ability to have limited interaction with mechs while in battle
  • Possible PVP arena battles, if I have time
  • NEW Possible implementation of hardcore elements. For instance, if one of your mechs in the arena is destroyed, its gone for good.

So, thats what I've come up with. I'd really like some feedback, so I can know whether I have a winner, or I need to head back to the drawing board Tongue
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:16:29 AM by Siegfreide » Logged
jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »

Can you expand on this?

"A set of engineer skills for the player, and the ability to have limited interaction with mechs while in battle"

woodenrabbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 07:05:04 AM »

The way you describe the game makes me interested, but its hard to say if the game will be fun until you actually implement it (or at least until you dig into the nitty gritty details of the game).

What do you want to get out of making this game? What are your criteria for it being a winner?

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »

Definitely too much scope for 2 months. Plus, and what's worse, these features do not sound too consistent (arena then exploration of world then suddenly PvP). Too many strings going into too many directions.

Why not make a solid "singleplayer arena mech combat championship with customizable mechs and pilot's abilities" or something Smiley

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »

not gonna happen in 2 months, scale it down about 75 percent
Siegfreide
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »

Can you expand on this?

"A set of engineer skills for the player, and the ability to have limited interaction with mechs while in battle"

Its just a thought at the moment, but I'm thinking of implementing a system of choose-able buffs for a number of turns during battle, which are based on a players skillset. Still in the works though, I havent developed anything solid yet.

Also guys, I will be implementing all of these things on an "as completed" basis. So, the singleplayer mech arena is definitely first on the list. Once thats completed, then I'll move down the priority list to the next system, and so on.

@woodenrabbit, I dont particularly get anything out of this game other than the satisfaction that I'm completed a small game that people can enjoy. I would also like to get my name out there and "build my brand", so to speak.
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »

I think that, really, the only person who knows the answer to whether or not you should move foward with an idea is you. Other than that, I'm in agreement with the others that 2 months ain't gonna cut it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic