Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:23:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRPGs that are not full of filler?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: RPGs that are not full of filler?  (Read 2397 times)
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »

I want to play a RPG but most have way too much filler. Definition of filler is just unsatisfying crap that makes me feel like I wasted time - pointless dialogue, dungeons that don't effect the plot or give you cool stuff, running around a lot, things like mandatory alchemy or crafting.

I do like games like Avernum, which I consider the benchmark.

Also going for roleplaying games with actual roleplaying and plot and not plotless roguelikes like Crawl.

So any suggestions?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:28:57 AM »

if you don't like crafting, sidequests, filler dungeons etc, then play the classics -- jrpgs for the nes and snes and ps1. stuff like final fantasy 4-6, lufia 1-2, lunar 1-2, suikoden 1-2, chrono trigger, stuff like that

as an aside, the word is affect, not effect. effect means something completely different than affect (as a verb). http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/affect-versus-effect

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:58:13 AM »

Gothic 1 - fantastic opening, trying to get a toehold in one of the three very different societies in an ex-prison colony. Maybe has some filler in the middle section.

Shadowrun Dragonfall - good story and writing, motivates some RPG tropes with the idea that you are trying to live up to the example of the person you're replacing.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »

I'm gonna keep recommending Albion by Blue Byte until my head explodes.

It does have some running around though as its overworld section is a bit unintuitive.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »

The SNES-era and GameBoy Final Fantasy games are pretty good for that. I also enjoyed Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG immensely back in the day. A couple of more modern indie JRPGs I dug into awhile back are Cthulhu Saves The World and Breath of Death VII (both on Steam sale for $1.49 right now).

There was one or two more, I'm trying to recall... FastCrawl *might* be up your alley, but I'd check out a video or demo of it first, and it's a good game but not a $20 good game; not sure how to get a discount on that...

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »

paper mario: the thousand year door

the world ends with you (admittedly this has some amount, but it's never too much)

Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »

Gothic 1 - fantastic opening, trying to get a toehold in one of the three very different societies in an ex-prison colony. Maybe has some filler in the middle section.
IIRC in Gothic 1 the later stages can be very tough if you're strictly only following the main quest and not doing any of the side quests / killing random moonsters. Still a very good game tho
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »

CHrono TRigger

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 04:40:14 AM »

The Mass Effect series. It even got a lot of flak from RPG fans because it allowed so little inventory handling and stats optimisation. In my books this is a huge plus, because I'm a sucker for stories and characters, and I hate the leveling just for the purpose of overcoming artificial challenges. Mass Effect 3, apart from the slightly unsatisfying end, solely consisted of meaningful missions where even the side missions were scripted nicely with additional dialogue and choices. No simple "Shoot everything and be done" anywhere.

If, on the other hand, even side missions are to be avoided, you might be better off in a Point'n'Click adventure.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 05:11:39 AM »

vampire the masquerade: bloodlines
fallout 1
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »

Gothic 1
Pretty much this.

if you don't like crafting, sidequests, filler dungeons etc, then play the classics -- jrpgs for the nes and snes and ps1. stuff like final fantasy 4-6, lufia 1-2, lunar 1-2, suikoden 1-2, chrono trigger, stuff like that
Lufia 2 is amazing, but I'd say pretty repetitive / grindy at bits.

The action rpgs of that era are really fun (Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Soul Blazer series)
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 06:47:57 AM »

Shadowrun Dragonfall - good story and writing, motivates some RPG tropes with the idea that you are trying to live up to the example of the person you're replacing.

Dude...aside from Dragonfall, Shadowrun Returns has an amazing community, the game is essential a remake of the Paper&Pen game because you download user-created content that can be over 100hours long, Harebrained Schemes did this amazing thing & turn anyone who makes content with the tools into Dungeon Masters...that was fuckin brilliant on their part. I'm addicted to this game right now, best $10 i ever spent 

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »

fallout 1

and 2.
Also Planescape: Torment but that felt way smaller.

bitserum
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 10:40:38 PM »

Rage of Mages if you don't mind some MOBA elements (being real time, battlefield positioning, etc)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:47:38 PM by bitserum » Logged
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »

Thanks will check out some of these.

I don't really like the classics. I was a Wizardry fan a long time ago but they're unplayable now IMO. And FF7 feels horrible because graphics. It's just these things age badly. Betrayal at Krondor still looks good, but the gameplay still feels clumsy by today's standards (like having to sharpen weapons or the large map).

I'll check out Mass Effect too. Been avoiding it since it's been quite mainstream.

fallout 1

Played both. They're the right kind of games I'm looking for.
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 09:43:01 AM »

Shadowrun: Returns, especially the Dragonfall expansion which will come out as a stand alone release within a week.
Great story, dialogues, battle system, and music.  Smiley

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »

fallout 1

Played both. They're the right kind of games I'm looking for.

btw i wish more modern rpgs would use tight, limited "hub worlds" like bloodlines did. don't get me wrong, open worlds are cool but not every game needs them.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »

ME 2 and ME3 are sorta like that. ME1 not that much - I enjoyed the setting and the lore bits there, in addition to shepard herself, but the sidequests are bleh.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »

ME1 (only one i played) didn't feel like that at all to me, it felt disjointed and way too linear. i had the same issue with the witcher games, 2 moreso than 1.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »

yeah i just said that. me2 has more hub like regions with a bit to do, at least in terms of recruit and loyalty missions.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic