Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:03:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRPGs that are not full of filler?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: RPGs that are not full of filler?  (Read 2349 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »

vampire the masquerade: bloodlines
fallout 1

Played both. They're the right kind of games I'm looking for.

btw i wish more modern rpgs would use tight, limited "hub worlds" like bloodlines did. don't get me wrong, open worlds are cool but not every game needs them.
Remember when we had stupid strict corridor and we were like damn were is my open game? NOW THEY ARE SHOVING IT DOWN OUR THROAT! Measure is something they don't now.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »

the game industry is just fad driven in general haha. i remember when warcraft 3 came out and every single new RTS suddenly had hero units for the next few years.

maybe hub worlds will be the next fad...
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

4x space sims are becoming one now

dragonslumber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »

I am currently working on a JRPG which tries to do exactly that, cut out the filler and instead concentrate on the actual plot. To that end, almost all of my dungeons are set to progress further within the story, and those which only mean to get you from A to B at least have interesting elements, like plot development with reoccuring antagonists and interactive level design. Additionally, although I've not worked on it properly yet, I want to cut most of the grinding which happens in those games to emphasize on the actual story.

It's called Arelite Core, you can see what I've released of it at www.arelitecore.com

Incidentally, I think that's what old JRPGs like FF4, FF6 and Chrono Trigger did right, provide character driven stories with a good pace. Still among the my favorite games because they don't have the dead moments which more recent titles tend to have.

Arelite Core, coming to a PC near you (hopefully yours) in 2015, www.arelitecore.com
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic