Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:27:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioVote For Your Favorite -> Help me hone my mix!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vote For Your Favorite -> Help me hone my mix!  (Read 713 times)
WittyNotes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »

If you have two minutes:

I'm trying to decide on which instruments, reverb, balance, etc, sounds the most appealing or realistic. To that end, here are some 20-second clips from famous scores that I've programmed, but with subtle changes between them. I've worked on them so much that my ears can't hear them 'normally' anymore, and I'm hoping some fresh listens will help.
So, for each song... which reconstruction is your favorite?

1. E.T. - The Flying Theme Excerpt:

2. Jupiter Introduction -

3. Star Wars - Yoda's Theme Excerpt:

Many heartfelt thanks to all who participate!
Pearl Pixel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:12:52 PM »

Okay so personally the #2 and #3 ET's sound pretty much the same but I like 2 the best. You're samples are top-notch!
For Jupiter, #1 sounded better... And there is a wrong note in the french horn melody in the beginning you're having them play a B when there should be a C on beat 2 of the 5th measure(in both mock-ups)
Star wars #2 is my preference as well.

This whacko of a person makes music. Perhaps it is of interest: https://soundcloud.com/pearl_pixel
WittyNotes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:10:42 PM »

Wow, Pearl Pixel: kudos to you for catching that wrong note in Jupiter (you either know that opening like the back of your hand, or you took the time to listen to the original for comparison. Either way, points to you.)
Your feedback is MOST helpful: many thanks!
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »

Alright!

For ET, I'd definitely go with #2. The horn sample there is ten times more vibrant than #3, and the section after seems to sound the most clear in that track! (#1 had too much reverb, in my opinion)

Jupiter is different. I like the strings in #2 more, but I like the spread sound of the horns more in #1 (sounds like a section), and I prefer the strike in #2. I guess #2 wins since there is more in that of which I like.

For Star wars, I prefer #2 also! Tones feel a lot closer!

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »

Not going to pick any individuals as the best, but I can say for certain you need to tone down the reverb, probably even attempt to use effect sends so that you can target specific groups/individual instruments to give a more realistic resonance to each one/set.

Also on a couple of those clips it sounded like you were using compression, that or poor use of a limiter. Hard to tell but for orchestral cues, it's best to avoid using a compressor because you can ruin the mix, as well as fudge any dynamic contrast between loud and soft segments in the music.

WittyNotes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »

M4uesviecr, thanks for the replies (so far this is exactly the kind of feedback I need, because my own guesses at what people would like are hit-and-miss).

Zack, advice from a professional is always a treat. Thanks for the tips on reverb and the compression: I kinda liked the balance given by a little compression, but I think I need to get rid of it altogether. Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic