Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:22:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Veiled World
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Veiled World  (Read 934 times)
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »

This is the post-comp version of my recent LD48 entry, now with added special attacks, arena mode and a couple of coats of general polish.

I'm thinking of turning it into a larger game, a sort of light-hearted sandbox rpg or maybe something arena-based. Anyway, all feedback will be welcomed with open arms.

You can get it here for free: http://panurge.itch.io/the-veiled-world
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:07:39 PM by Panurge » Logged

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:31:35 AM »

Pretty fun working my way up to the top, switching between the light and dark world and throwing things at enemies.

I also use Construct 2 so I can give you a tip with the font.

The sprite font object has a "Set character width" function that can be used to set the spacing for characters, this makes the text look a lot nicer. This is ideally put at the "on start of layout" so it fixes the text before you see it.

Unfortunately the character width changes can't be shown in Construct 2 so you need to reload the game to make sure everything is aligned properly.
Also each action can be used for multiple characters at once, so you only need to create around 8 actions.

Only noticed one bug, if you attack the wizard at the bottom when he has a text box up, the text disappears but the background doesn't.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to have a play with the character widths right away. The font has been bugging me for ages.

I noticed that wizard bug today as well. Not sure how it slipped past me before but I will definitely straighten it out.

Cheers!

Ziz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 04:09:10 AM »

Hey, I would really like to test your game, but your Linux binary is for 64 Bit and your (32 Bit) Windows binary doesn't run with wine. Could you provide a 32 bit linux binary, too?
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 04:51:35 AM »

Done! Thanks for your interest - I hope it works.

Ziz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »

Done! Thanks for your interest - I hope it works.
It does, thank you.
I will test it further later, I don't have time atm.

However I have to same strange behaviour as with anther Construct game I tested recently:
The file libudev.so.0 is missing. But if I make a symlink named libudev.so.0 to libudev.so.1 it runs.
Furthermore you released your linux binaries as zip. I don't know, whether zip is able to preserve the execution bit, but the binary first had to make runable with chmod +x.
But afterwards it runs. Wink Opinion follows later as said.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:29:19 AM »

Now updated to embrace all the awesome advice I've had from various quarters. Platforming tweaked, font straightened out, Arena Mode available from the start, new playable character class (the Bystander!), typos hammered, barbarian horns adjusted, grass animation smoothed and high scores tracked.

All feedback is gravy to me!

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »

Good to see the font width is fixed, makes it a lot easier to read now.

LanziVision
Level 0

LanziVision

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 02:52:49 PM »

I like the option to donate. It doesn't feel cheap or pushy at all.

I forgot the controls, maybe a way to check what the controls are after you start the game?

I like the comments, funny and cute.

I got lost. I chose barbarian and couldn't get past the first 'screen'...
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 07:07:17 AM »

Yes, you're quite right, a recap of the controls would be good. I think I should put a 'controls' option on both the start and the pause screens. It might also fix the other issue you had - did you realise that you had to click the right mouse button to pass through the veil between the worlds? You aren't alone if you didn't - a few other people had the same problem and I really need to put some sort of prompt there. Perhaps I'll have the wizard shout something at you if you haven't tried it within the first 30 seconds or so.

Thanks for the feedback!

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »

Updated once again after feedback. The game now pokes you if you seem to have forgotten some of the controls. The platforming has been tweaked once again and everything rebalanced to make it a bit more forgiving. Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic