Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:27:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFAVORITE PS1 Game?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: FAVORITE PS1 Game?  (Read 5355 times)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 06:32:05 AM »

Mega Man Legends 2
Tomb Raider
Ronin Blade
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 07:37:11 AM »

Crash Team Racing is a masterpiece I'm not kidding
Why does everyone I know love that game, IMO ctr was boring... battle mode was pretty fun though
The only people who say this are those who don't know how to powerslide and jump ledges to maintain a constant boost

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
jiitype
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »

The only people who say this are those who don't know how to powerslide and jump ledges to maintain a constant boost
But I do know how to do that Giggle
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 08:17:57 AM »

vagrant story

really awesome art style and color palette. game itself is jank tho

vagrant story is perfect in every conceivabl way
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 08:46:07 AM »

ya vs is not yank, ur mom is jank

OttselKnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »

Its a tough contest between Crash 2 and FF9 for me. Probably leaning towards Crash since the original reignited my passion for gaming in 5th/6th grade. My house was broken into and our NES & Genesis stolen with everything else. I went without games (Minus the GameBoy pocket and 2 games I had with me in school that day) for a couple years since we couldn't afford a new system.

An honorable mention would be Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time. Im so happy to see someone else mention that game on here! I dont think Ive ever known anyone else who played it, haha Smiley
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

I'd love to play more third person + grappling hook platformery combat stealth stuff in the modern era. I also liked how the levels seemed very open and non-corridory in a sort of Mario 64 way

@doomlaser, mark johns
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »

Okay, so "Blasto!" is basically a mutant lovechild of Duke Nukem, Johnny Bravo, and Space Ghost. That's three good fucking reasons to love this game. Not to mention: 3D game with semi-seamless, BIG levels, and actually good level design; it's not just using the tits to pull you in.

I am SO SAD this never got sequeled, even though literally everything else did.

Another contender is Street Fighter Alpha 3; it's just sad that it's the most inferior version of the game to date, give or take the arcade original (with 25 charas). I like how they at least made the extra animations/winposes work in mirror matches. Beats letting them go to waste.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 03:03:20 AM »

Brave Fencer Musashi is my hands down favorite.
arkamedus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »

I can't believe no one said Legend of Dragoon! The story was about war, power, friendship, and DRAGON/HUMAN hybrids!

The art was great, the story was compelling, and the battle system was interesting (even though the combos were just timed button presses) (and walking back and forth around the map to grind was a bit obnoxious at times)

Also, perhaps one of the most fun kart racers of its time, Walt Disney World Quest Magical Racing Tour (yes, that is the actual title)

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »

my favorite ps1 games arent necessarily v good but they are def. worth checking out for one reason or another

digimon world

ok this game is jank as fuck and also really obtuse but when you get down to it it's got a LOT of really interesting mechanics and a progression/worldbuilding system that no other game has really approached

vagrant story

really awesome art style and color palette. game itself is jank tho

breath of fire 3

one of the few older jrpgs i've actually had the patience to finish (and thats saying something)

breath of fire 4

prob the best looking ps1 game ever. pixel art in this game is immaculate, prob the best in any game ever. never actually bothered beating the game tho. the camera pissed me off.

xenogears

more games need to have 2d sprites with 3d backgrounds tbh. got bored after the first disc

^Literally the same.

Conker534
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »

driver 2

lmao i didnt play the ps1 much
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 12:55:54 AM »

Spyro 2 and Tomba 2.

I know there's a hell of a lot of good RPGs I need to check out on the PS1 though.

dragonslumber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »

Probably Metal Gear Solid. It's such a cliché, but I felt that game did a lot of amazing things, like Psycho Mantis analysing your memory card and controller port, the character development was really well done, the gameplay mechanics were well executed... I think it's a brilliant game.

Arelite Core, coming to a PC near you (hopefully yours) in 2015, www.arelitecore.com
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »

Aside from what John said, I have a few other favorites seeing that ps1 consumed most of my childhood.

Obviously if you've played ffVII, it's going to be on your list. It's impossible to overrate a game this groundbreaking. Being a bored nine year old and opening a game case to be met with three discs sends chills down your spine. Like I said, if you grew up with this game, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

No explanation needed.

Speaking of games with multiple discs, here's this beauty. I beat Abe's Odyssey more times than I can count so I was really excited to try Exodus. Once again, being a bored teenager and finding out the sequel to one of your favorite games is too big for one disc gets you pumped. I also fondly remember the stickers and awesome swag this game came with. Oddworld Inhabitants cared about their community a lot back then, and still do.

Some games I didn't play until I got older and had an emulator on my hands.

LSD Dream Emulator is literally my happy place.

Astronoka

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure is likely the most thoughtful PS1 title ever made and one of my personal favorite games of all time. It was developed by Love-de-Lic, a company that housed some of the greatest talent in Japanese game development. In the course of their existence they made three spectacular games and then sadly split apart. You might know Love-de-Lic as the place where Kenichi Nishi (creator of Chibi Robo) came from.

It's a game about games, and has beautiful art and an even better

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »

i'd never heard of moon: remix and i'm looking this fucker up asap because that one screenshot is all i needed to convince me

MrBones
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »

I can't believe no one said Legend of Dragoon! The story was about war, power, friendship, and DRAGON/HUMAN hybrids!

this game
this fucking game is one of my favorite games of all time
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

Does Moon: Remix have an english translation yet? All I found was a thread on romhack.net about a translation project starting in 2012 with no new posts since November of 2013.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2014, 04:58:20 PM »

Does Moon: Remix have an english translation yet? All I found was a thread on romhack.net about a translation project starting in 2012 with no new posts since November of 2013.

Unfortunately no, this and obsessively watching videos and researching the game is the closest you can get to fully experiencing the story. Or you can go hardmode and learn moonspeak.

The creator of the game has shown great interest in both translating the game and even making a sequel, but money and a very limited fan base is a huge problem on that front. Sad

There's still hope.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »

Probably Metal Gear Solid. It's such a cliché, but I felt that game did a lot of amazing things, like Psycho Mantis analysing your memory card and controller port, the character development was really well done, the gameplay mechanics were well executed... I think it's a brilliant game.

Psycho Mantis was terrific. He found my DDR savegames, and my scores on them, and was like "WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU GET THAT!?" XD Priceless.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic