Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:37:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow do you Market your game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you Market your game?  (Read 1351 times)
jojothejojo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »

I basically use facebook. I have been doing not the best though with that.  Lips Sealed

Game I Have Created: Lonely Ball
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:01:16 PM »

Problem with Facebook is you advertise to people who don't even play videogames, let alone indie games.

I use IndieDB, Epocu and my YouTube (already had 2k+ subscribers), moderate success.

A lot more I'd get than on Facebook, anyways.

Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »

I basically use facebook. I have been doing not the best though with that.  Lips Sealed

Can you give more specifics to what you've done so far? Our marketing platforms consist of Facebook, Twitter, IndieDB, and various forums and sub-reddits. The combination has yielded great results so far and we have the ball rolling to our Kickstarter.

jojothejojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 06:51:27 AM »

Can you give more specifics to what you've done so far? Our marketing platforms consist of Facebook, Twitter, IndieDB, and various forums and sub-reddits. The combination has yielded great results so far and we have the ball rolling to our Kickstarter.

I basically only use Facebook. I made a page for the game and we sent out posts for it occasionally. we don't have many people that like it(140 if i can recall). we only have 30 people that play it and we have a 12 good reviews. We did put it on a forum but it was useless.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:32:06 PM »

well that's your problem right the fuck there

Tryzna
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »

Hi jojothejojo!

Im not an marketing expert and still failing to successfully market my own game, but i ll share my experience with you. Please note, its only my opinion and what did not worked for me, can work for others.

Facebook did not work for me, sure few friends ll join your FB page, few strangers, but it stops right there, and if i tried spent some of my pocket money on advert campaign i got 80yrs old women with interest in baking liking my page...so my guess is it does not work unless your game has allready at least small fan base.

Twitter works if put good and eye catching content there and use hashtags properly. Did not have stunning ressults there, but if i post something that i find cool even after few days since i created it, it always atract few new followers.

IndieDB works too. But again, you need quality content, take your time to stylize your new article to be eye pleasing, provide cool screenshots and adding embed youtube video in to your article generate some extra views as well.

EPOCU while i like the idea, it did not worked for me, succesfully finished the campaign and then nothing, not even one more FB fan, not even one new follower, not even one access from campaign page to dev. blog. But still, it might work for some and its free so you can give it a shoot.

To sum above up, sucess is not for free and popularity cant be bought by money in most cases. Its the great content, eye catching screenshots, interesting trailer that makes people interested in your game.

But dont take me too serious, i might be completely wrong.

Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »

I dug around to find your game, and I feel in this case it's less how your marketing on Facebook (which could still use some optimization) and more how marketable your game is. Early games like this don't grab public attention simply because there are so many of them on the play store and there are many other more polished games people would prefer to play.

My recommendation would be more to focus on development as opposed to marketing. Find forums like these and post your game to ask for feedback on how you can improve and refine what you have. Keep finding things to upgrade to help  you stand out from the crowd  Smiley

jojothejojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »

I dug around to find your game, and I feel in this case it's less how your marketing on Facebook (which could still use some optimization) and more how marketable your game is. Early games like this don't grab public attention simply because there are so many of them on the play store and there are many other more polished games people would prefer to play.

My recommendation would be more to focus on development as opposed to marketing. Find forums like these and post your game to ask for feedback on how you can improve and refine what you have. Keep finding things to upgrade to help  you stand out from the crowd  Smiley

Thanks. Yeah this was our first game so we mainly focused on the game play rather then focusing on good graphics. We have been told by other people that it looks like Atari. But, To me i kind of like old graphics. But, I understand also what you mean.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »

What's your facebook game page?

Marketing fail just for not exploiting this thread and linking your page Tongue I suspect the same lack of energy flows through your FB posts. Marketing is really more about the energy.
jojothejojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »

What's your facebook game page?

Marketing fail just for not exploiting this thread and linking your page Tongue I suspect the same lack of energy flows through your FB posts. Marketing is really more about the energy.

https://www.facebook.com/LonelyBall1?ref=stream

This is my facebook page. I didn't really know the rules and such so i wasn't going to use the threads to post adverts every where.

You can see some of our posts if that can give us some feedback.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »

part of it is likely that honestly it doesn't look that appealing

jojothejojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »

part of it is likely that honestly it doesn't look that appealing

i can understand that. good graphics are hard to make in game maker studio.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 03:03:26 AM »

make them with another program instead

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic