Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:50:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Drawing a Main Character
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drawing a Main Character  (Read 1224 times)
dr_hwbd
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »

Have you ever drawn a cool, quirky looking character randomly and then have it inspire you to create a game revolved around that character? I just did it the other day while messing around the other day, and I feel really confident about this character and all the great ideas he has given me for an awesome adventure type game! Let me know about how drawing characters and the way they look affect you idea creativity!

When life gives you lemons, you probably just found lemons.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »

It affects me greatly :I

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »

I draw my first big-time character (I guess?) at different times in different ways. For people who are wondering, it's who was originally Simon from Valchion, but I plan to have him in different games or products - my avatar is a fighting-game animation for him that makes me think of a 2D Power Stone-like that might be fun to make and play.

Gagz9k
Level 0

Part of LudunPactum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »

I don't normally follow that path of inspiration, but recently I did it with a jam (LD30), and it was fun.

We made the game based on the main character (a girl whom I draw for fun, in several "cosplays" of retro-games characters). The games follows the adventures of the main character going trough different worlds, where she get the clothes and some of the powers of the original characters. Just a fun idea, for a quick game. But we all fall in love with the character.

Here she's in Contra like style:

I normally create the world, or the concept of the story and them develop the character along the lines of the world-building I'm doing. But the other way around if fun too!

jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »

I always like to create a mini world in my head about the characters I draw.

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »

Sometimes it's not one character, but a whole page in one of my sketch books. Sometimes I keep the themes relatively the same on every page, but other times it's all over the place. The real challenge I face is thinking what kind of game would fit best. Was recently inspired by the doodle thread, and ended up drawing a full page of mostly tribal, mystical, fantasy creatures which normally never happens for me. Though I haven't seen one of my sketch books for almost two years now because it's in Japan with a buddy of mine.

As an artist, I tend to default to letting the drawing guide me, as appose to a set guideline. Kind of goes hand in hand with a random character creator exercise I made for myself so that I could create over 100 random characters for the beat 'em up I'm trying to make. If only I could actually code, I would be able to whip up some of my ideas into playable demos.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic