Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:39:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFavorite game of ALL time (Old and New)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Favorite game of ALL time (Old and New)  (Read 10424 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »

here's a few

star control 2
arcanum
chrono trigger

and I also agree that HOMM3 was the best, then 2, then 1. Then it doesn't matter anymore.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »

homm3 is one of those games i can always come back to. it's just aged incredibly well (except for the graphics i guess but even those have their charm). i think part of the reason is that the interface is really good. most complex 90s strategy games are a pain to control today but homm3's interface was near perfect and most of the modern sequels and clones only improve minimally on it, if at all. also none of them are anywhere close in terms of mechanics design ofc.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »

definitely

if they kept releasing more expansions for homm3 I would keep buying them. I always love the feeling of the new encounters when playing a new addon.

It's one of those games where all it needs is more content and maps.

Also the map editor is awesome.

JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »

I have a ton of favorite games, but the one I played the most as a kid, and got a ton of enjoyment out of, is Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »

nuff said

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 04:22:27 AM »

Deus Ex kinda Year Zeroed me. I have still not found a "new" favourite.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 05:01:37 AM »

Two old games that I played a lot when they were new and that I still can install and enjoy (and do install and enjoy, not just talk about them) are Panzer General (first one, MSDOS-version from 1994) and Close Combat A Bridge Too Far (second game in the series).

There are some other great old games like The Ancient Art of War or the SSI Goldbox Series or first Civilization or Colonization or Battle Isle 2 but I never play them anymore really. Well I install AAoW now and then to play a few scenarios, but not by far as much as I replay Panzer General (or Panzer General 2). Even installed dosbox on one of my Android tablets to play Panzer General and it works great. Probably the best Android turn-based strategy game, with Advance Wars played in GBA emulator on second place.
lucasblucas
Level 0

@lucasrowe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 08:25:41 PM »

nuff said

That mask is super awesome. Majora's Mask is definitely a good choice.

Old Earthbound - not sure any game will ever recapture the experience I got from that game
New Hearthstone - I'm not proud of it, but I have to let the facts speak for themselves. I play way too much to deny it.

Currently working on Sparklite .
haimat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 03:57:15 AM »

Old: Monkey Island 1&2
New: Half Life 1&2

My first post here btw.
Hello to all and everyone Grin
JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »

My first post here btw.

Great choices! Welcome Smiley
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 04:47:16 AM »

My first post here btw.

Welcome and good choices as said... but Surely Half life isn't considered new in this day and age? :D it's like 10 years old...

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2014, 04:55:11 AM »

Half Life 2 still feels new to me, while Half Life 1 feels old.

Around the year 2002 3D graphics became so advanced and the progress on them slowed so much that basically everything from that moment onward feels new...

PS: Also I stopped actively following AAA games around 2003 so maybe that's a factor :D

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2014, 05:18:49 AM »

Around the year 2002 3D graphics became so advanced and the progress on them slowed so much that basically everything from that moment onward feels new...

PS: Also I stopped actively following AAA games around 2003 so maybe that's a factor :D

I guess thats totally valid... I've pretty much stopped playing AAA in last 2 years or so... but i still play shit loads of indie games.. and some of them fall into fave game lists.. like FTL etc... Smiley Although as a AAA environment artist.. the level of difference between HL2 and current games... it's staggering!!! seriously staggering...

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2014, 05:27:14 AM »

Although as a AAA environment artist.. the level of difference between HL2 and current games... it's staggering!!! seriously staggering...

I don't know very much about the technical side of 3D art, but I always see the subjective difference between 1998-2002 as bigger than between 2004-2014 for example

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2014, 05:36:39 AM »

Although as a AAA environment artist.. the level of difference between HL2 and current games... it's staggering!!! seriously staggering...

I don't know very much about the technical side of 3D art, but I always see the subjective difference between 1998-2002 as bigger than between 2004-2014 for example

Nah seriosuly, I love HL2 etc, and sure the jump is more an evolution than a revolution... but the quality, level of detail, size of environments, and levels of immersion have been immense over this time period.. I agree the perception is less ground breaking... but in my eyes it's like you had early cars and everyone was like "woah no horses!!!" and now you take cars for granted even though they can park themselves and are fuel efficent and safe as houses... Smiley Its the evolution of that intial idea and the small bits added/taken away to make it somthing uncomparable...

Fuzzle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »

King Arthur's Gold ( Beta, the one on Steam ) is my favourite. It's fun and competitive.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2014, 02:51:05 AM »

the physics puzzles in hl2 feel very dated to me tbh
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »

the physics puzzles in hl2 feel very dated to me tbh

'puzzles'
put bricks on this see saw until its heavy enough to jump on...

"look we made a physics engine"
cheers volvo

So long and thanks for all the pi
rikykid87
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »

I cannot remember how many hours I spent on Metal Gear Solid on the first Play Station...  Kiss good times
shellbot
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2014, 05:29:01 AM »

Old: Final Fantasy 9 (I grew up with that shit)
New: Dark Souls

Yes, I am allergic to FPS games.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic