Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:31:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFavorite game of ALL time (Old and New)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Favorite game of ALL time (Old and New)  (Read 10435 times)
BizarreTomato
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »

Hm... both old and new seem like broad time frames but let's have at it. Runner-ups also included.

Old: Earthbound, Mother 3
New: Dark Souls, Tales of Xillia 2

Side-Note: Tales of the Abyss is my favorite of that series, and the only other entry I like aside from the aforementioned Xillia 2.

Everything goes back to Lucas from Mother 3.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »

does mgs 4 old? if so then streets of rage remake is my favorite. as for old, it's either mega man 2 or sonic 2.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »

*does mgs4 count as old?

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »

EDIT  BUTTON PAL

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »

the edit button doesn't show on this old phone, pal!

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »

Star Control 2

Yes, I'm one of those people

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »

homm3 is one of those games i can always come back to. it's just aged incredibly well (except for the graphics i guess but even those have their charm). i think part of the reason is that the interface is really good. most complex 90s strategy games are a pain to control today but homm3's interface was near perfect and most of the modern sequels and clones only improve minimally on it, if at all. also none of them are anywhere close in terms of mechanics design ofc.

I had a glimpse at some playthrough videos and frankly it looks beautiful. Never had the chance to play this when I was younger so maybe I'll pick it up. I've been looking for an elegant, well balanced strategy game.
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2014, 05:11:49 AM »

I don't know about the rest of the world, but there's this special connection between the balkans and homm3. Everyone played it. People had parties where they'd pass around the laptop from turn to turn, and people still play it from time to time. Every few years, a funny Serbian article called "tell me what city in homm3 you play and I'll tell you what kind of person you are" and everyone shares it like crazy. After that, most of us just reinstall homm3 :D

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2014, 08:50:05 AM »

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES
Command and Conquer, Suikoden and FFVII on the PSX.
Quake I on the PC.
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on the XBOX360.
Meteos and Polarium on the 3DS.
Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube.

There is no favorite of them all. The best I played on a system is more fair.

Yeah.
JWK5
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »

I don't think any game had as much impact on me as the first Final Fantasy game did. I don't know if it was my age and the timing or entirely the game itself, but the sense of exploration and discovery had me hooked like no other game would. Dragon Warrior was a pretty close second, and I've always have had a love for RPGs that put emphasis on the aforementioned sense of exploration and discovery. Skyrim and Reckoning had me pretty hooked, but I still feel tinge of Final Fantasy nostalgia when I played them.
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »

Old: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. I was never particularly good at it (probably 'cause it's confusing as fuck), so I would just enter the cheat codes to play all of the levels. Was a fun time, and I liked playing as a Raptor in multiplayer.

Legend of Mana: An old PS1 RPG that I played a lot as a kid, I found it like 10 years later after always thinking "what the hell was the name of that game I always used to play...?"

Symphony of The Night: Obvious reasons.

Devil May Cry: I have a god-damn Devil May Cry tattoo on my arm.

New:

Lords of The Fallen takes the awesomely slow combat of Dark Souls and improves upon it greatly. Unfortunately it has bad reviews on Steam because at launch some people were having crashing for strange reasons (I found a bug where AMD Gaming Evolved would cause certain enemies to crash the game).

Mass Effect, just an amazing series all together, and I actually liked ME3's ending.

Dark Souls, I got ridiculously good at the (albeit somewhat broken) PvP in the first game. I was really busy when all of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs came out so I haven't even gone back to finish them, I got a little far in the first area but that's it.

Chivalry: Both Medieval Warfare and Deadliest Warrior I like. Just a unique game that I've wanted for ages. Actually, I wanted a game like this in MMO form, but it's still tons of fun and is my most-played game on steam at 300+ hours.

The new Castlevania Lords of Shadows. The direction they went with the main character is so awesome for the sequel, I just wish the final boss in the second game was a little more exciting.

Planetside 2: My PC used to be shit and the game's leveling system used to be shit, so when I initially played it I disliked it a lot. But I recently got back in to it, pretty fun.

Path of Exile: It's free, it's awesome, it's dark and brutal and I love what little I have played of it.

Dawngate: This was my MOBA of choice. It was the best one I have ever played, but EA decided to shut it down... because EA is EA. Really sad because Waystone seem to be one of the few moba dev teams out there that knew what the fuck they were doing.

The Wolf Among Us: A Telltale game that, in my opinion, is much better than The Walking Dead (though I love that too). Game of Thrones Telltale game came out recently, that was awesome too, I cannot wait for the next episode to release.

DmC: I like that they tried to explain the storyline in Devil May Cry, something the game lacked. Great visual style, fun platforming puzzles and the combat is great as always, possibly better than the other DMC games (and I didn't give a shit that they changed his hair because I'm not an angry neckbeard).

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:58:38 PM by Müsta Klaki » Logged

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/12/10/heroes-of-might-and-magic-3-to-return-in-hd-debut-on-tablets/

Guess some of us might get to play this for the very first time!

olücæbelel
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »

??

you can get the original for cheap from gog (it's actually on sale atm). it still runs well on modern PCs.

tablet port is cool tho, yes.
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »

??

you can get the original for cheap from gog (it's actually on sale atm). it still runs well on modern PCs.

tablet port is cool tho, yes.

Yea, the old one is still perfectly viable. But the point of the hd remake is that they are redrawing all the in-game sprites by hand in a higher res. Now how better(or worse) looking the remake will end up being, that is entirely different question.

As for me, while homm3 was great and I love it quite a bunch, I still prefer homm5. Both it's aesthetics and the gameplay features are unsurpassed in my opinion, when it comes to homm games.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »

HoMM 4 was awful but I agree the fifth one worked flawlessly and was a worthy successor.
Haven't tried HoMM 6.

Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2014, 04:17:03 AM »

Old would definitely be Link's Awakening DX. I spent so much of my life on this game I could replace GameFAQs on the subject.
New is Five Nights at Freddy's or Road Redemption. Road Redemption because it's an original take on Road Rash, one of my favorite games on the Genesis (Megadrive). FNAF because the gameplay is so simple and, yet, the ambiance is strong and oppressing. And also because I'm a pussy so it scares the crap out of me.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »

HoMM 4 was awful but I agree the fifth one worked flawlessly and was a worthy successor.
Haven't tried HoMM 6.

6 is terrible

5 is ok but i dont like the art direction and interface at all
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »

6 is terrible

5 is ok but i dont like the art direction and interface at all

Yeah, 6 is kinda bad. It lost a lot of complexity that made homm games interesting in the first place and somehow it's visual quality feels rather underwhelming, compared to previous games. As for 5, the interface is indeed a bit clunky.
KohD
Level 0

I believe there's nothing to believe

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »

MapleStory or World of Goo or FFVI or Pokemon Crystal... Can't decide.

shellbot
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2014, 03:31:00 AM »

MapleStory or World of Goo or FFVI or Pokemon Crystal... Can't decide.

Oh god. MapleStory.
That brings back some dreadful memories.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic