Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:45:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFavorite game of ALL time (Old and New)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Favorite game of ALL time (Old and New)  (Read 10336 times)
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2014, 04:02:38 AM »

MapleStory or World of Goo or FFVI or Pokemon Crystal... Can't decide.

Good choice of Pokémon iteration though.

olücæbelel
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2014, 06:46:09 AM »

Very difficult question for me to answer, simply because even out of my favourite games, there might not be any I consider "perfect", or higher than a 9.5/10.

So, obviously I'm not going to choose just one.

Spelunky is a favourite of mine because of it's duality of simplicity and complexity; something I value greatly in games, and a trait that is usually shared by my other favourites. A game that is simple in it's control scheme and mechanics, but can give way to deeply rewarding and satisfying gameplay is a true marvel.

Don't Starve I like because it has a gorgeous style which is ever-present in the music, art, storytelling and design, and it works so perfectly in tandem with the gameplay. I also feel like it's the first true 'survival' game I've played in the genre.

Monaco is a game I played recently and fell in love with. Easily the best Stealth game I've played because it boils the mechanics of the genre down to their essence, and the result feels wonderful to play.

Nimbus is the last game I'll talk about. The mechanics in this game are perfect, 100%. I'm not sure I've ever played a puzzle/racing/twitch game that feels as good to play as this one. Everything from the art, music, level design and gameplay evoke such a great sense of speed and whimsicality. I'm especially impressed by this game because it came out when the 'indie' scene was still fairly young, at a time when a lot of developers were still finding their feet in puzzle and platforming games, then out comes Nimbus; crafted to near perfection.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »

Oh god. MapleStory.
That brings back some dreadful memories.

Maplestory had some awful grind-heavy design, but the world was beautiful. The plethora of secret rooms and fields were fun to explore, and I loved the way how the map gradually transitioned between deserts, cities, forests, cloud ruins and frozen towers.

If only it didn't turn into an endless slog of killing identical monsters for hours to gain just one level.

I'm torn between Secret of Mana and Trauma Team.

Secret of Mana was fantastic because of the three players - me and both my brothers could play it together. The fantastic music and huge boss fights were all the better when you enjoyed them as a group, and we had fun developing personalities for each of our characters so we'd comment on the action in-character.

Trauma Team did a fantastic job of including the player in everything it did. The initial setup introduces six protagonists and then follows each of them on a self-contained story that concludes with some element of personal development. The finale of the game brings all the characters together, ties together some elements foreshadowed in the earlier missions, and then pushes the player to solve an epidemic step-by-step. What I like most, I think, is the use of the forensic and diagnosis stages to let the player solve the mystery of the disease's origins rather than it being revealed to them in a cutscene.

The First Response missions especially manage to recreate the hectic atmosphere that the game conveys in the cutscenes, and the final First Response mission is probably my single favorite mission in any of the Trauma Center games.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2014, 12:02:10 AM »

Oh god. MapleStory.
That brings back some dreadful memories.

Maplestory had some awful grind-heavy design, but the world was beautiful. The plethora of secret rooms and fields were fun to explore, and I loved the way how the map gradually transitioned between deserts, cities, forests, cloud ruins and frozen towers.

If only it didn't turn into an endless slog of killing identical monsters for hours to gain just one level.

That's a third of what would make MS a terrific game - gutting that grind stuff out of there. Then they just need more than 3 AIs, something to make the creatures distinct, or at least to make more than one appear at a place, and pace back and forth in retardedly numerous droves for chip damage. Finally, just collect the freakin' money on contact. For the life of me, I see no reason you have to pace around like one of those creatures, mashing your "pick this shit up button" for something that doesn't factor into your inventory management anyhow. :/

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »

Nimbus is the last game I'll talk about. The mechanics in this game are perfect, 100%. I'm not sure I've ever played a puzzle/racing/twitch game that feels as good to play as this one. Everything from the art, music, level design and gameplay evoke such a great sense of speed and whimsicality. I'm especially impressed by this game because it came out when the 'indie' scene was still fairly young, at a time when a lot of developers were still finding their feet in puzzle and platforming games, then out comes Nimbus; crafted to near perfection.

nimbus owns. really underpraised. gotta agree re: spelunky. it's one of the few games i haven't gotten tired of over the years.

other favorites, by system:
ios: ascension, 868-hack, drop9, 80 days
360: banjo-kazooie nuts and bolts, vanquish, geometry wars 2, pac-man ce dx
wii: galaxy  2
n64: super mario 64
genesis: gunstar heroes co-op
ds: picross 3d, mariokart ds.
3ds: animal crossing new leaf
pc: knytt, deus ex, kentucky route zero, towerfall, old blockland, noctis iv
snes: yoshi's island
gba: warioware, mario and luigi
gbc: pokemon yellow
psp: lumines, loco roco
ps2: shadow of the colossus, the star wars battlefront games
ps1: crash team racing
vita: at this point, it's going to be hard to top persona 4 and spelunky.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »

yes, another crash team racing fan! it's still my favorite kart racing game.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »

it's the only crash bandicoot game that has aged well.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »

probably true. i knew crash 1 was outdated like 15 years ago. 3d platformers surpassed it before it even came out.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »

crash 1 makes a lot more sense when you realize it's sony/naughty dog going: donkey kong country, huh? well this shit is rendered in real time!!!!

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2015, 05:47:38 AM »

Old - Fallout 2, Deus Ex, Majoras Mask, MGS3, DMC3

New - Dark Souls, Hotline Miami, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout: New Vegas, Bayonetta
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »

btw since we were talking about heroes of might & magic 3 earlier itt: if you wanna play it, buy the gog version. the HD remake won't include any of the expansions and most likely won't support original version's mods (there's even a HD mod!). the graphics upgrade seriously looks marginal.
~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »

At the moment, MOTHER. The first one. Except for that horrible factory I like everything of that game.

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2015, 07:58:15 PM »

I remember back in middle school, my mom let me get a DS Lite, but only under the condition that my first couples games be educational.  I got Big Brain Academy and Brain Age, and they were both surprisingly solid/addictive, but then once I saved up some allowance money I bought Super Mario 64 DS.  Having never played the original, it blew my freaking mind that I could carry such a huge, spectacular, pretty nice-looking 3D game around with me at all times, so it definitely holds a top spot.

I remember when my old babysitter gave me and my brothers his old SNES and the games that came with it, I played Super Mario All-Stars all the time, which isn't so much one game as it is a collection, but hot damn, it was the best collection of games I've ever owned.

As far as independent games go, I downloaded Cave Story the day I got my first laptop and spent hours getting lost in it.  I still think it's a master-class in action game design and storytelling.

I was blown away by Bioshock when that came out, too.  I counted down the days until I could buy it, and the day I did, I beat it all in one sitting.  Spectacular atmosphere and storytelling.  Actually liked it a lot more than Infinite.
citizen5
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2015, 10:40:50 AM »

Either Morrowind or SSX.

Morrowind was just so immersive - the architecture, sounds, geography, all brilliant. For some reason Oblivion and Skyrim didn't have the same effect on me.

SSX - classic racing game. The courses were fantastically designed and full of difficult hidden routes. The sounds and visual style were spot on. Unfortunately the series has since lost its way. Sad

Oooh. + shout out to original Crash Bandicoot and Far Cry! Both brilliant.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »

morrowind blew my mind when i first played it but it hasnt aged that well. still the best world map and setting of any TES though.

anyway my fave games are: super mario 64, ocarina of time & link's awakening, demon's souls & dark souls 1, HoMM3, crusader kings 2
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »

In no order:

New:
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
Antichamber
Legend of Grimrock 2
Ghost Trick
Portal 2
Skyrim
Bioshock 2
Jets'n'Guns Gold
Terraria
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
League of Legends

Old (older than 10 years):
The Guardian Legend
Gimmick!
Diablo 2
Chrono Trigger
Total Annihilation
Pokemon G/S
Super Mario Bros. 3
Silver
Warzone 2100
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Myst 3: Exile
Half-life
Doom

(tried to make each list less than 10 games but I can't u.u)

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »

classic sonic
mario 64

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2015, 06:27:56 PM »

..morrowind is still fun if you can put up with very slow beginnings
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:59 PM »

i think ssx tricky is the best. ssx is one of the only series where 3 games (the first 3) each have a large amount of fans that claim one game is the clear best.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2015, 12:04:59 AM »

Old:
DRoD series
Wonderland series
Mario Sunshine
LoZ: Oracle of Seasons/Ages

New:
Disgaea series
Ys series
Kamidori Alchemy Meister
Spacechem

Although some of the new could be considered old. If I were to pick 1 of each list, DRoD: Journey to Rooted Hold and Disgaea 2: DHD (in case that's old, Kamidori)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic