Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 05:36:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMicrosoft to buy Mojang for $2 billion; notch departs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Microsoft to buy Mojang for $2 billion; notch departs  (Read 15125 times)
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »

Certainly interesting news, if true. I am really mostly interested in how Microsoft ownership would affect Mojang publishing on non-MS platforms in the future.
On the flipside, Windows phone has almost nothing for games (and I am saying that as someone who loves my Windows phone) and the official PC Windows app store is kind of in the same boat so securing one of the biggest games ever is a pretty big carrot for Microsoft.

Think happy thoughts.
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 06:17:19 PM »

seems like Notch is not agreeing with his Board of Directors. Get ready to see some heavy Microsoft flavored DRM, with in-game Windows 8 panels

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
tri-pancakes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »

Since nobody has linked this yet
https://twitter.com/notch/status/478766808841732096

Not sure if that was serious or not but...

I remember that a few minutes after that tweet he apologized to his followers for stressing out (it was something related with the servers' rules of Minecraft) and made the point that he wasn't going to give up on the project nor he would sell his part of the company. This was months ago, long before any rumours of Microsoft making an offer to them.

Quite honestly, I don't see this going forward. Unless whoever is running Mojang now decides to backstab Notch and manages to sell the company to Microsoft.
PowRTocH
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »

anyone who has anything bad to say about any of this is stupid as fuck
Conker534
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »

i fear for the minecraft dlc incoming
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 11:36:21 PM »

I remember that a few minutes after that tweet he apologized to his followers for stressing out (it was something related with the servers' rules of Minecraft) and made the point that he wasn't going to give up on the project nor he would sell his part of the company. This was months ago, long before any rumours of Microsoft making an offer to them.

Good, at first I thought it was a joke but comments I saw around it made it look otherwise and I wasn't going to waste time looking back a lot in his timeline just to figure out the context.

Quite honestly, I don't see this going forward. Unless whoever is running Mojang now decides to backstab Notch and manages to sell the company to Microsoft.

Doesn't Notch still have a majority stake? Even if everybody else gives their stakes to Microsoft, Notch would still set the rules since he has basically instadecision power (his vote alone already makes it majority). The only way it'd go through is if Notch himself gives up on it.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 08:19:26 AM »

Monday, they say... Rumors, rumors.

Microsoft will unveil a $2.5 billion deal to buy its owner on Monday, according to a source briefed on the matter.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/12/us-mojang-microsoft-idUSKBN0H72EV20140912

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
SimplyRivet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed by this, but I can't really say that it's out of character for notch.

Notch has always been a little inconsistent between his words and his actions. Between that, and him wanting to produce other games, it's not difficult to see where this is coming from. Still disappointing though.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed by this, but I can't really say that it's out of character for notch.

Notch has always been a little inconsistent between his words and his actions. Between that, and him wanting to produce other games, it's not difficult to see where this is coming from. Still disappointing though.
it's TWO BILLION DOLLARS you fucking idiot
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »

damn, really disappointed that this man's integrity comes so cheaply. i'd murder a nun for 400 dollars.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »

It's actually unethical to not take the two billion dollars from Microsoft and use it for good things
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »

Yes it's stealing m$, free the money!

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »

whoever owns minecraft owns all 12 year olds

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-thinking-about-minecraft-on-wii-u-3ds/1100-6420643/
OUps too bad nintendo!

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »

whoever owns minecraft owns all 12 year olds

"He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future."

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »

According to the rumors, Microsoft aren't going to keep it locked within their ecosystem, so there's no reason why Nintendo won't get it on their systems.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
pottering
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2014, 11:56:45 AM »

Personally, I see this as the same level of hipocrisy of saying you would totally punch Justin Bieber in the face, then not punching when you actually meet him in some place.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »

Personally, I see this as the same level of hipocrisy of saying you would totally punch Justin Bieber in the face, then not punching when you actually meet him in some place.
and he gave you 2 billion dollars to not punch him in the face
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »

yeah upon reflection this whole thing is pretty amazing, even if my gut reaction with mergers is always "i wish indies just kept their own companies". do you all know how much 2 billion even is? that's the equivalent of the budget of ten blockbuster movies. that's two thousand million dollars. that is an incredible amount of money. that's so much money that notch can do whatever the fuck he wants. charity, developing pipedream games, whatever. even if only a quarter of that money went to him he'd be able to do anything, and he's a positive force for games and life in general.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »

he doesn't need to own mojang to make the type of shit he normally makes / to pay people with his literally billions of dollars to make the type of shit he wants to make / but owning all 12 year olds might help

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic