Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:24:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMicrosoft to buy Mojang for $2 billion; notch departs
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Microsoft to buy Mojang for $2 billion; notch departs  (Read 15069 times)
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »

Who knows - maybe we'll be seeing him around here again as he gets back into the swing of game jamming.

One thing I think a lot of people are missing here is that Microsoft, many years ago, used to also be a small quirky company that was a really cool place to be if you were a programmer. Then they got big - like, oh, 400 people (I know, huge, right?) This was, maybe, mid 80s I think. Pre-IPO, still, too. They got bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and people's stock options matured - so the only reasonable thing to do at that point is to cash out, right? (that's what GabeN did, anyway)
There's like less than 10 people from those days still working there - and even they are starting to get up towards retirement age.

Literally none of the people in this picture (except for Bill - lower left) are still employed with the company in any capacity
It's just not the same company that it used to be. Probably none of us ever knew that company.

The point of all this is - where would Mojang go if it stayed on its own? The only way it could go, other than downhill, is to scale up like Microsoft did. And then they wouldn't be the same company anymore. They'd be just like Microsoft.

'Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.'

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2014, 12:59:24 AM »

yeah i would hate to see them meet a terrible fate such as making some actually pretty good games that everyone hates because they arent collectothon plataformers and aren't on a nantendo console

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2014, 01:08:54 AM »

perfect dark zero was the shotoer of a life and i loved vita pineapple

lmao

mind you the best rare game is starfox adventures in my opinion so what the fuck do i know

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2014, 04:59:03 AM »

Guys sitting pretty now. I wonder if any of it got distributed to the other Mojang members. There's less than 40 people there right? That's enough to make em all multimillionaires.

If I'm not mistaken, they've essentially bought the shares from the shareholders, which were Notch and the other two founders.

Unless employees also had shares themselves, they won't see any of those millions. They are still Mojang employees, though, and are bound to keep their employment, and probably get a bonus if Microsoft makes them relocate to the USA.

LanziVision
Level 0

LanziVision

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »

You know, anything over a billion its like, i get it.
Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »

The only thing I fear might happen is one day seeing this as I try to join a server:

"You must be a Microsoft Games Live Gold Member to play online. Please visit this link: http://www.microsoftislikeapple.com and register your account."

Otherwise, I completely understand Notch and don't disagree with what happened.

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »

Ebola outbreak: UN calls for $1bn to fight virus

It's only $1bn, Notch. C'mon, save the world.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »

It's really easy for me to sympathize with Notch's decision on this one. Not only is it a massive amount of money but as he explains on his blog he wasn't happy with how massive the game and its community are now.

It is certainly a very interesting story and predicament really. He had SO much success that it was just totally out of control. I wish him the best of luck in the future and am really excited to see what he can come up with now that he doesn't have to focus on Minecraft as much.

Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »

THIS JUST IN NOTCH CAN REMOVE EBOLA BUT "DOESN'T WANT TO" MORE ON THIS AT 6

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »

his government is going to get like 3/4ths of that 2.5b so it's really on them

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2014, 01:14:58 AM »

Where do you get that number from?

How it's taxed depends on the type of company (I'm assuming fåmansföretag, or small business) and how the money is going to be spent afterwards (for instance, if it's going to be used by a new company). Generally, though, it seems that it would be 20% up to some limit (based on initial acquisition cost, I think), 57% up to around 5 million SEK and 30% after that. It's impossible to know exactly what they'll end up with without knowing the specifics, but I can't find any indication that it would be even close to approaching 75%.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »

"Mojang"
Unplayables
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »

THIS JUST IN NOTCH CAN REMOVE EBOLA BUT "DOESN'T WANT TO" MORE ON THIS AT 6

You'd think that a game developer is against viruses  Tongue
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2019, 07:28:33 AM »

yeah upon reflection this whole thing is pretty amazing, even if my gut reaction with mergers is always "i wish indies just kept their own companies". do you all know how much 2 billion even is? that's the equivalent of the budget of ten blockbuster movies. that's two thousand million dollars. that is an incredible amount of money. that's so much money that notch can do whatever the fuck he wants. charity, developing pipedream games, whatever. even if only a quarter of that money went to him he'd be able to do anything, and he's a positive force for games and life in general.

i was wrong

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2019, 07:59:22 AM »

Turns out it's a pretty poor idea to just give two billions to a single person and expect them to live up to the potential of what that money could do, huh.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2019, 09:12:02 AM »

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »

@ProgramGamer I wouldn't have sold it if I were in his shoes, and I'm disappointed in his behavior afterwards. Making a bunch of stupid tweets instead of doing anything worthwhile is just depressing. He could do charity, he could make whatever game he wants, he basically had any option to do whatever he wanted, hell, he could even just go to a tropical island and sip mai tais and flirt and he decided to make a bunch of offensive tweets. It sort of boggles my mind how little vision he had to spend that money on.

Edit: as I read more its clear he wants the simple life of being a nerd on the internet and posting garbage and being ignored, but as someone who is ignored a lot its hard to empathize with that desire.

Also, if he wants to go back to being a nobody who is just programming stuff he could get a new handle and screen name and so on and live in a modest house and all that. There is some sort of bullshit in all this because it makes zero sense that he has no idea what to do with himself.

Here he is giving a talk about his company:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 04:27:10 PM by michaelplzno » Logged

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2019, 11:55:09 PM »

I wouldn't have sold it if I were in his shoes, and I'm disappointed in his behavior afterwards.
You would most definitely sell it for 2 mil and than spent it all on a bike and a blackface factory.
Nobody knows how much he donated to charity, he funded Age of Wonders 3 and some other games that fizzled out. Im pretty confident he donates to some weird activities without media knowing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:42:47 AM by Cobralad » Logged
velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2019, 02:36:11 AM »

I think everyone is forgetting that he could have wrangled the rights to Chrono Trigger away from Square Enix and maybe fund a small part of a beautiful community remake project(or given the rights to that dev team that was working on that sweet remake before SE put a stop to it)

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2019, 02:48:34 AM »

Was Paul Eres credited or anything else for coming up with the "minecraft" title?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic