Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:04:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKnights Below
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Knights Below  (Read 3877 times)
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »

Hi, my name is Richard Staggs, currently working under the moniker "Barely Human Entertainment". This is my game!

Knights Below

It is an action/adventure game in which you take the role of "The Player", a wanderer in search of ever greater adventure. Upon his travels he happens across a small market village. While taking a gander at the goods, "The Player" spies a total babe from afar (an 8 at least!) The two make eye contact, but due to an unfortunate coincidence, "The Player" suddenly sprouts a bizarre horn atop his head! The villagers, fearing him to be a demon, capture him and toss him into "The Pit of Stuff Nobody Wants". Now trapped, "The Player" must venture deeper underground in search of an escape, while encountering strange creatures and uncovering the secrets of the land.

Ideas and Influences

This game is greatly inspired by games like: Super Metroid, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Demon Souls and Dark Souls. The list could go on and even some devlogs here served as great inspiration for me. Games like Ghost Song, 7 Towers, and Moonman!

"The Player""The Weapons"

enemy sketches

couple of boss sketches

Old Versions

All backgrounds are placeholders at the moment, as well as a few other art assets (such as the cape). Lots of animations for the main character and the enemies are missing also.

The plan is to update this devlog atleast once a week. Stay tuned where I'll go through my process of animating the characters and how I achieve the look and style of Knights Below. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:06:36 PM by BarelyHuman » Logged
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »

All animations were hand drawn sketches scanned into the computer

After scanning the images in, it's time to color.
This is the test color.

I then scanned in a nice clean drawing that would serve as the base for the final image.

Blocked in the colors.

Finally!

BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »

Been working on the main characters half naked animations. When he gets hit he loses his armor.
Still needs some work.

Other than that, I fixed a glitch that caused the player to fall like a ton of bricks after double jumping and pressing the jump button a third time.
LanziVision
Level 0

LanziVision

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »

I like how childlike the knight is. It gives an impression of innocence and courage or something.
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »

I like how childlike the knight is. It gives an impression of innocence and courage or something.

Great! Thanks, that is what I was going for. Smiley
Canned Turkey
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »

I love the art style so far, but be wary of getting too close to pillow shading.
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »

I love the art style so far, but be wary of getting too close to pillow shading.

Thank you, but pillow shading? Can you explain? Again thanks :D
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »

I've got quite a few things fixed this week in terms of glitches. I also implemented a few features, such as; a working inventory, multiple melee weapons, and swing speeds. Each weapon has different damage output as well. Started working on some better ai for the skeleton enemy but it's still buggy. At least it's something to test the weapons on! Tongue I'll edit the first post with the new build.
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »

Oops, a little late with this update! Atleast I'm late updating this blog because I was busy with the game. Anyway, lots of new stuff.

• Skeleton enemy is pretty much done just needs one more animation(and some speed tweaks)
  • The little yellow squares that stood for ammo are now souls that the skellys drop
  • There is a chance that the skellys drop a blue, green, or yellow soul which fill your knife, spear, and crossbow ammo respectivley
  • Lots of other cool particle effects like sparks when hitting the enemy and blood sprays
  • Weapons become bloody after hitting the enemy (this effect goes away after a short while)
  • Weapons are classed as light, medium, and heavy. Each has a set knockback on the enemy(along with swing speed and damage)
  • Skeletons fall apart when killed.
  • The ghost has a plasma effect
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »

Almost has a Monty Python feel when it comes to the character art! I'll keep following.

BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 12:36:11 PM »

Almost has a Monty Python feel when it comes to the character art! I'll keep following.

haha Awesome Smiley thanks for your support, man!
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »

(wiggle, wiggle)
Hey guys! Working on some new enemies. Things are going a bit slower now as I'm mostly coloring and animating.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:35:44 PM by BarelyHuman » Logged
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 05:33:41 PM »

Well, I've kinda neglected this, so I'll try to do better on the updates in the future. In other news this is what I've been working on.

This is the Spider God. It weaves the fates of men. It's gonna be a boss!

and this is a merchant that will repair your armore if it is broken. With this character I had quite a few pieces of scenery drawn as well, but I hadn't saved in a while and the program crashed  Facepalm Oh well, it's just another chance to draw it better. The scene is going to have lots of bags and boxes all piled around as if the creature owns a bunch of stuff. The pathway leading to the creature will be lit with candles. It'll be cool, I promise!

One other thing I was thinking about is having status ailments in the game. Since this isn't an rpg and your characters health isnt determined by numbers, but rather, on whether or not you have your armor. This is a bit of a problem for me as I'm not entirely sure how they will work. One idea I have is if you stand in a cloud or pool of poison an invisible meter begins to build up and once it reaches it's threshold you are now poisoned. Once poisoned a visible countdown appears over the head of the character starting from 10. When it reaches 0 you lose your armor. If you have already lost your armor then you will die. There will be curatives that will heal this ailment (possibly sold by that furry mook above). Idk. What do you guys think?
analbeadsrgood694u2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »

Love the game , Have a Great Day!
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »

I smell behind the scenes drama.

Cool

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 06:02:01 PM »

I smell behind the scenes drama.

Cool

Haha I wish my life were that exciting, but no, that is the smell of beautiful fan art!

when I said I would do better on updating I meant worse. So, here is a picture of another enemy that I am currently working on.

it scurries about and jumps at your face when approached!

Love the game , Have a Great Day!
Thanks, you too! Love your work!
Savick
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 06:21:41 PM »

There's a clear light source to that spider as opposed to your previous work that didn't have light sourced shading. An improvement.
analbeadsrgood694u2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »

Awesome Spidey-man but i think my versions cooler!!
AWESOME GAME STILL THO!!!
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »

There's a clear light source to that spider as opposed to your previous work that didn't have light sourced shading. An improvement.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback! As I improve I hope to go back (eventually) and touch up previous work so that it all looks good and consistent. Right now though I just worried about getting it done! haha

Awesome Spidey-man but i think my versions cooler!!
AWESOME GAME STILL THO!!!

Cheesy this is wonderful! I may need to hire you as my artist, analbeads. love the hat!
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »

Hello again! It's been awhile since I last posted, but fear not! This game has yet to die:) I became a bit discouraged about the coloring of my characters after getting some very helpful and very constructive feedback. Instead of worrying about it I decided I would just focus on finishing the animations first and figure out the coloring later. So here is a couple animations

This one is finalized:) It's actually two of its animations together. The first is the idle animation, and the second is it spitting a projectile (without the projectile)

This one is still rough:) He is encanting a spell.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic