Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:21:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingProject Guardian Fighters
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Guardian Fighters  (Read 848 times)
kupo15
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE DEVLOG SECTION!!!!!!!

About
Rising Spirit is a 2D physics based, Hybrid Fighter that seamlessly blends the feel of Platform Brawlers with Traditional Fighters. This fusion grants us the ability to create a unique fighting system that feels flexible and robust, allowing you to play any character in your own style. Here is our latest video showcasing mainly the music but you get an idea of how things are looking live at the moment

STAGES
(concept gif)

ANIMATIONS

This is a representation of our animation quality, rest assured functionality of the move will still be retained to keep things fast paced.

MUSIC
The music is going to have a fully orchestrated, very epic feel to it. Check out the mockups I've composed to get a better sense of the world we are trying to create on my SoundCloud

https://soundcloud.com/matthewlemmel/sets/rising-spirit-soundtrack-1

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:55:19 PM by kupo15 » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:22 PM »

I'll probably give it a try to at least give some feedback on controls, movement and how it runs.

Are there CPU players implemented or planned? I don't have anyone who would play local multiplayer with me.

"Fighter's Final HD form" looks a bit too Mortal Kombat style to me. Why not go for something more original?

For posting potential spoilers, I generally use the "glow" tool and set it to black, so people can only read the text by selecting it. Of course, if you want to write a lot then that isn't ideal.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
kupo15
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »

Cool thanks, I appreciate you going to try it out!

There isn't any CPU at the moment, though it is planned in the future. I have P2 automatically selected so you can sandbag him.

Yea the Fighter guy's HD I would agree has a Mortal Kombat look to him (he was my first character and I kinda based him on Cyrax with the face) He can't change at this point because I my artist already created animations so it would be wasted work but all of the other characters will look more original for sure.

Yea I know about the glow but it still keeps the spacing and yes, I was going to post a text based movelist and more mechanical information but it would have occupied 2 screen heights worth of space Smiley

Here is a video to better show the game off, some combos with the other characters against a punching bag that isn't trying to escape

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »

Ok. Gave it a shot with my 360 controller. I tried both the D-pad and the thumb-stick.

-It felt strange that the A button and Start both did nothing on the initial confirm/deny screen for my controller. I generally think of the B button as "Cancel".

-Why isn't the text centered nicely on the title screen? It looks like you're not using draw_set_halign()

-The Start button does nothing on the title screen, even with it specifically saying "PRESS START".

-The way the character seems to get a forward boost (faster than normal horizontal movement) when I jump forward throws me off every time.

-The gravity feels a little too strong to me, at least for a game like this.

-Attack ranges are very, very short compared to other fighting games I've played. The jump-kick with the ninja guy, for example, doesn't even have the character extend his leg at all. Also, the grab range is shorter than the sprite makes it seem like it should be.

-The first move I tried purposely (after mashing some buttons) was a throw backward. It threw the guy forward the first time, but worked every time after that.

-It felt weird that there was a jump button and I could jump with Up. Why both? The block button was my left shoulder button when X is used for an action I can already perform another way. I realize I can customize things, but these are weird defaults.

-If playing with a thumbstick, any time the stick crosses 0 on the X-axis while pushed forward it makes my character jump. This means that if I jump backward onto a platform and then go to move forward, my character will usually jump forward instead of just walking. You may want to consider rethinking how you're handling controller input.

-I've never been great with Street Fighter-style controls, but it feels like things aren't being detected well. Facing right, I couldn't pull off the saw blade attack. Facing left, the upper-cut controls sometimes gave me a blade and sometimes charged the upper-cut. It seemed random which was picked, when according to your move list they should require very different commands to pull off.

-Some of the arenas seem a bit unfair to one player, but I haven't tried it with anyone so I can't say for sure.

It's a pretty good start.

kupo15
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

I can probably answer all of your input problems simply. Something I didn't notice until now was the controller I have been using has two states on it (direct and x something?) Anyway I knew about this switch but I think I had it switched on the non-xbox controller which would explain why all the defaults are wack. For my controller the "Start" button is the start button and left shoulder is block. What I'll probably do now is reset all the defaults using the Xbox state of my joystick to make things more uniformed for everyone. Thanks for pointing this out!

Text centered: I'm just not concerned with this right now, its actually a sprite and not text but I'll make sure its centered. I'm just more focused on gameplay right now but sorry it was bothersome Smiley

Stages: Yea the stages aren't quite fleshed out yet, like the red stage clearly has a oneway platform high up that if you get someone up there they can camp all match if they wanted to. Something I've been meaning to take out but its actually part of a stage mechanic I've been meaning to do where it drops the person up there but have been getting sidetracked with dealing with engine glitches and things like that. Stages are something that will take some time to figure out how to make fair and work properly when it comes to pits especially.

Jumps: You mean how when you jump you are still moving during the squat part? Yea I'm aware of that, something I can simply remove. Its something I'll have to consider doing but this game is physics based and Smash Bros based and is something Smash does. Though the only "glitchy" feeling this has currently is that you can slide off of platforms during the the squat animation which I should fix.

Attack ranges and proportions: Yes definitely. This is just a prototype with placeholder art I did myself. Trust me when I say the HD version will have much better and more consistent ranges Smiley

The throw thing is interesting. I'll see if I can replicate that

Input response: That is strange you mention that. Two things, were you using the Dpad or analog? While I do have analog support right now its been programmed with the Dpad in mind since fight sticks and my controller is dpad based. I do plan on paying more attention to the analog part. About the moves, are you switching your directions depending on the direction you are facing?

Lots of the problems you were having are not common problems I've encountered or others have encountered, maybe its due to your experience with Street Fighter type controls?

Also, something I wanted to post was a list of the mechanics in the game but then the OP would have been massive due to the spoiler system which is why I linked to it instead. For example if you hold the punch button during the input of the uppercut you will charge it. There isn't anything random about these mechanics  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:08:31 PM by kupo15 » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »

Attack ranges and proportions: Yes definitely. This is just a prototype with placeholder art I did myself. Trust me when I say the HD version will have much better and more consistent ranges

Well, since you're showing that red hitbox area whenever I attack, maybe you should extend it to the range you're planning on using so that testers can get a better feel for how the game will actually play.

Input response: That is strange you mention that. Two things, were you using the Dpad or analog? While I do have analog support right now its been programmed with the Dpad in mind since fight sticks and my controller is dpad based. I do plan on paying more attention to the analog part. About the moves, are you switching your directions depending on the direction you are facing?

It was analog at that point. Yes, I switch directions based on which way I'm facing. The issue with it not working consistently when facing right was probably just me, but having the knife-throwing and uppercut work with the same motions seems like a bug.

{The jumping stuff}

I didn't notice any problems with moving while squatting. I'll try to explain my issue better. Let's say Up with the thumbstick is 90 degrees like in Game Maker. If I move the stick from neutral to 80, I jump at a slight angle. That's fine. Then if I land and move the stick to..I dunno, maybe 160 or so to move left, there's a chance that by making the stick cross over the 90 degree line, I'll jump again. Really, I think the "should_I_actually_jump_right_now" value should probably only reset if I bring the stick back down to around Y = 0 and shouldn't have anything to do with the left/right movement of the stick.

On a related note, this issue seemed to cause a lot of accidental wall-jumps.

Lots of the problems you were having are not common problems I've encountered or others have encountered, maybe its due to your experience with Street Fighter type controls?

I imagine that's part of it, but I never had this much trouble pulling off moves in Street Fighter. That also doesn't explain why a quarter-circle left would end up the same as a quarter-circle right.

Some of those mechanics look pretty good.

kupo15
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »

Well, since you're showing that red hitbox area whenever I attack, maybe you should extend it to the range you're planning on using so that testers can get a better feel for how the game will actually play.

Maybe though I feel that could potentially be bad because then I would imagine ppl would feel like they are getting cheated because of the invisible hitbox hitting them. Don't you think dealing with the shorter range for a prototype is the lesser of the two evils than always getting hit by "unfair" hitboxes predicting what the range will be?

It was analog at that point. Yes, I switch directions based on which way I'm facing. The issue with it not working consistently when facing right was probably just me, but having the knife-throwing and uppercut work with the same motions seems like a bug.

Yea the analog stick is definitely subpar to the dpad right now and I know that its a little faulty. I don't actually have an Xbox controller to test it out and make it perfect, I just have a bad logitech PC controller where the main feature is the Dpad with a bad analog stick. Its definitely on my list of things to do but for now I would advise sticking with the Dpad (even though if I remember correctly the xbox dpad is stiff and sucks, sorry)

Also, the knife throw and the uppercut is not the same input. The uppercut you need to do a circle motion and the knife throw is a tap+button like a smash attack. If its bugging out its probably the analog coding (I touched on a possible solution you can try at the bottom of this post)

I didn't notice any problems with moving while squatting. I'll try to explain my issue better. Let's say Up with the thumbstick is 90 degrees like in Game Maker. If I move the stick from neutral to 80, I jump at a slight angle. That's fine. Then if I land and move the stick to..I dunno, maybe 160 or so to move left, there's a chance that by making the stick cross over the 90 degree line, I'll jump again. Really, I think the "should_I_actually_jump_right_now" value should probably only reset if I bring the stick back down to around Y = 0 and shouldn't have anything to do with the left/right movement of the stick.

On a related note, this issue seemed to cause a lot of accidental wall-jumps.
I just tried to do that and I didn't just when I didn't want to, sounds like you jumped when you held a diagonal down direction? If its joystick related then it'll fall under what I previously said but I still can't seem to replicate that.

On your side note about walljumps, that is a very good observation! I exclusively play with the button jump so that is definitely something I missed. I'm going to have to add a check that disables walljumps upon jumping until you put the stick back to neutral. Thanks for catching this!  Wink

I imagine that's part of it, but I never had this much trouble pulling off moves in Street Fighter. That also doesn't explain why a quarter-circle left would end up the same as a quarter-circle right.

That really doesn't make sense your right. Noone has ever brought that issue to my attention before though if you were using the joystick and not the dpad I could maybe see how that could have happened but even at its subpar state I don't think that is something it would do.

I have a variable called "analog offset" that I'm planning on using to allow you to calibrate the analog stick since all analog sticks are different (GC doesn't even go to the full value of 1 for example and I believe straight up isn't even a complete -1 on the y axis unless mine is broken) I think that variable is calibrated to my controller so perhaps that is the issue you are facing with. If you go into the INI file named control config you should see a value that says "joy_offest." Try setting that to 0. I would be interested in seeing if you experience any of these problems with that change or with the dpad.

My guess is you probably won't with the dpad but I'm not sure what will happen if you change that joy_offset value

Some of those mechanics look pretty good.
Thanks! :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:13:59 PM by kupo15 » Logged
kupo15
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »

I didn't realize that the debug view was on by default because it shouldn't have been which is why you see the hitbox ranges which is why I was confused and said that it wouldn't look right if an invisible hitbox hit you. I must have forgot to turn it off.

In any case I fixed those things that you mentioned as well as other things:
-You don't slide off ledges during jump squat
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:07:56 PM by kupo15 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic