Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:51:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSirkel - a spinning stick puzzle game [Win, Linux, Android]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sirkel - a spinning stick puzzle game [Win, Linux, Android]  (Read 773 times)
morganbengtsson
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »

Hello everyone!

This is a playtest of an early alpha version of a game called Sirkel. A game that I am currently developing, and would be very happy and thankful to get feedback on. The game is about a little rotating stick, which goal is to get through various labyrinths and obstacles. Somewhat inspired by an old GBA game called Kuru kuru kurin, though with quite a different artistic style.

You start at the level selection, and there ares six levels to chose from. No progress is currently saved between plays.

Platforms/Downloads

Android
Control the vehicle by swiping anywhere on the screen.
The game is available through Google play testing or as an APK file.

Windows
WASD or click hold and drag mouse
Available for download.

Linux (coming)
WASD or clich hold and drag mouse.

Feedback

Any constructive feedback is very welcome.

• The general concept, mechanics
  • Graphics
  • Sound
  • Level design, difficulty
  • Technical issues

Media

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:43:07 PM by morganbengtsson » Logged
quisseh
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »

Hi morganbengtsson!

I don't have an Android device to test this out on, but I can comment on the video.

Graphics are nice and polished. No complaints.

I like how the player can move freely around the hub to go from level to level. Better than a boring menu.

Ambient background noise compliments the gameplay. I like the sound effects, especially the little tapping noise that plays when the stick collides with any surface.

Physics look really smooth.

Puzzles shown so far in the video seem to explore the main mechanic nicely. Level 2 (where you can change spinning direction) is when it really clicked for me how many different challenges you can have with this mechanic. Ramping up the difficulty should be pretty easy for you to do; basic moving obstacles alone require precise movement and timing.

Overall, I would definitely like to play this. Please update this post once you're able to release it for Windows (or Mac). Smiley

If you don't mind me asking, what was this developed in?
morganbengtsson
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 01:15:54 AM »

Overall, I would definitely like to play this. Please update this post once you're able to release it for Windows (or Mac). Smiley

If you don't mind me asking, what was this developed in?

Hi quisseh!
Thanks for the feedback, much valuable. I will definitely upload more builds as soon as possible (Windows at least).

The game is made in C++. The main libraries/apis used are OpenGL for graphics, OpenAL and OpenSL for sound Box2D for physics and GLM for math. Also I bundle this in a small lib i try to keep updated on github, for those who want to look at some code.

morganbengtsson
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »

Just wanted to notify everyone that a windows build is available for download.
quisseh
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »

Hi again!

I tried out the Windows build, but it crashes almost immediately after launch. Sad

monsterkillu
Level 0

An Indie from India

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »

I tested on windows ... using standalone ...

Menu and ambience were really nice ... There was kind of stuttering and framerate issues when pressing WASD, but smooth progression with mouse...

Problem is i can't play the levels with mouse ... i pressed and dragged the mouse, but it wont follow.. just rotates above the starting ring ... When i press WASD it just hit the walls and die....

After i watched the video, and it looks really cool .. Would love to play it like that ....

Bugs prevent me from enjoying it ...Sad

Monster Brain Games (c)

Play Test : A Puzzle Journey : Puzzle Platformer for android - Play Test Demo

Checkout my games on PlayStore - [url=http://bit.ly/mb
morganbengtsson
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »

Thanks quisseh and monsterkillu for trying out the game. Hand Thumbs Up Right

I am sorry about the bugs, cross compiling can really be maddening Crazy.

Though quisseh, your bug "should" be fixed . So if you got the time, please download again, link in the first post.

monsterkillu:s bug though is more cumbersome. I can not seem to recreate it. Feel free to try the new build, and se if it "magically" fixed itself. Guess I have to wait for a few more bug reports on this issue.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic