Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:28:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRK3000 - Local multiplayer city destruction game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: RK3000 - Local multiplayer city destruction game  (Read 9020 times)
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »

Hey!

RK3000 is a city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords. Two of the key freatures are local multiplayer (up to four players) and a mapeditor.

Here's a video mostly showcasing the mapeditor and the workflow of building a map and jumping into the actual game:

And one more gif of some multiplayer action. (15MB)

You can find some more over here: http://primaerfunktion.de/rk3000/

And if you're interested in more frequent updates follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/primaerfunktion

Looking forward to put this project together and talking to you guys about it!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:33:39 AM by primaerfunktion » Logged

RK3000 - A city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords.
DevlogIndieDB

twitter.com/primaerfunktion
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »

reminds me a lot of omegalodon (which it would, since i was involved in that game's production and it's similarly a beat-up-the-city thing) but this honestly looks prettier and more polished overall

i'm loving the colors

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »

Thanks a a lot!

I was researching if there were similar games and didn't encounter Omegaladon then. Looks really interesting especially the way you guys handled multiplayer.

DevlogIndieDB

Cranky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:02:36 AM »

This looks pretty fun to play, very promising
Posting to follow

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:45:41 AM »

This is looking good. I wish I knew how to get those nice pastel colors on 3d models. I'm really lazy when it comes to 3d cause of the UVs Tongue But I really love low poly stuff.

Smashing cities is a great premise for any game :D

On STEAM ยป
YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:52:15 AM »

This looks very nice, love the flat shaded visuals and motion.
Are there going to be objectives/missions, or just sandbox-ish destruction on custom maps?

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 04:18:22 AM »

The mech commander perspective is something that deserves to be revived.

This is amazing :D!

andy201
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 07:36:10 AM »

It reminds me of this:

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 08:31:25 AM »

First of tall: Thanks guys! And Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is actually running here on german tv right now.

I'm really lazy when it comes to 3d cause of the UVs Tongue But I really love low poly stuff.

Jeah, I'm really not into UV stuff either. That's why I make them really sloppy and drag them around on a palette texture. There's a gif and a small discussion about the technique over here: https://twitter.com/primaerfunktion/status/509766389562085376

Are there going to be objectives/missions, or just sandbox-ish destruction on custom maps?

That's something I have yet to figure out.

So enemies like police cars, tanks and others spawn at their specific special buildings. Police cars at police stations, tanks at a military base, helicopters at another military base. What I'm thinking to do right now is to make the default game mode of the costum maps to be something like "destroy all the special buildings". I'll probably also make a small campaign where you start off with smaller towns and in the end there will be one huge city to destroy with stronger enemy types or something. I'm really not sure about that. These would all be playable in co-op too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:49:02 AM by primaerfunktion » Logged

DevlogIndieDB

Bobert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »

the color palette and lighting are gorgeous, and of course any game with mech fights is going to pique my interest

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »

I agree with Bobert that the palette looks fantastic!  Everything about this game looks adorable.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 05:11:45 AM »

Thanks! Lets get to Tanks now!  Cool

(Looks like the physics need some work.)

Two enemy types are in the game now. Police cars and tanks. Police cars are fast and shoot a lot of not so damaging fast bullets. Tanks are slow and shoot fewer more damaging slow bullets. Also fewer tanks get spawned.

Right now every enemy production building has it's own fixed timer and produces every x seconds an enemy. Which is kinda stupid. What I'll do is create a city hall building, which handles where to spawn enemies. Like the next closest enemy production building to the player would be a lot smarter. If that city hall get's destroyed, they will spawn at dumber positions but more often. 

I'm not sure if people actually use that site but I made a IndieDB page anyway. So you can click on it or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:16:38 AM by primaerfunktion » Logged

DevlogIndieDB

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 07:30:22 AM »

(Looks like the physics need some work.)

Eh, just halve the horizontal speed of the tanks when they bounce.
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 07:30:29 AM »

This looks awesome. The world needs more good local multiplayer games. Following this for sure.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 07:47:05 AM »

Looks like mech-commander but with beautiful pastels.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 03:15:42 AM »

Some people said that it looks like the game was filmed from a helicopter. And you know what? I like that idea. So I put one right behind the camera and if you are positioned correctly you can see a shadow of it on the ground.

It's in the lower right:

DevlogIndieDB

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 03:22:52 AM »

I wonder if that could end up being confusing (e.g. players will start looking for a helicopter without realizing it's their own shadow).
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 03:26:36 AM »

True. But I could also make a small "intro" before the game starts giving an overview of the map using that helicopter. So being with that helicopter from the start on should work out.

DevlogIndieDB

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 09:14:10 AM »

The helicopter shadow is a nice touch! This looks awesome

You know, having a simple model (low profile) of the destroyed building would be nice. If you destroy building you can't really tell where it use to stand before you know? like just a simple thing that stay at the same place then make it visible while the original is being destroyed. Or maybe just a totally flat texture of the foundations?

Just an idea...

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »

Jeah, you're completely right. That's something I haven't touched at all yet. There sure will be visible destruction along your path. It would be really disappointing otherwise if you get back to place you have destroyed just to find nothing at all.

But thanks for bringing that up, as I think I should work on this rather sooner than later.

DevlogIndieDB

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic