Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:16:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDublet
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dublet  (Read 1281 times)
Live Aliens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »

Dublet is a unique puzzle game where you must fill in a board with the given pieces. There are five types of pieces, each with its owns rules about placement. Pieces also come in different colors and with different images.

The game is complete, but I will be tweaking the puzzles before final release based on feedback. I would like to know about any bugs and your overall impressions of the puzzles. Are they too hard, too easy or just right.

The Independent
This piece cannot touch another independent of the same color or with the same image.

The Twin
The twin must touch another piece with the same color or with the same image.

The Rover
The rover can touch any other piece, but it must be in the spot it started. It moves around the board each time a piece is played. You can force a move by tapping it. Each rover can only moves 6 times.

The Covert
This one only shows its self once, so make sure you remember what it was. It has the same rules of either the Independent or the Twin, which ever was shown.

The Impostor
This piece can be toggled to impersonate a Twin or an Independent and follows their respective rules.

Download (standalone exe)
www.livealiens.com/dublet/dublet_noinstall.zip

Requires XNA if you don't have that installed.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

Game play video

Screenshots

Update 1
-----------
- tweaked levels
- all pieces are visible now when playing, at top of screen
- user can click preview piece to bring to front of queue
- added a top level help menu
- improved wording on help screens
- spelling fixes
- minor bug fixes
- updated the graphics for Rover
- hidden pieces are revealed at the end of a level
- like pieces rotate the same way

Update 2
-----------
- reimagined the Rover piece, now moves around the screen
- switched from software mouse to hardware mouse cursor
- you can now toggle full screen
- minor graphic tweaks
- more music (different each time you start the exe)
- minor bug fixes
- tweaked several of the levels
- animate the pieces to the board locations
- added access to instructions from the game board
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:16:28 PM by livealiens » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »

I really dislike installers for small games like this, especially when it comes to playtesting (since I may try multiple versions, so installing/uninstalling can be a hassle). Since I'd already downloaded it and this looked interesting, I thought I'd give it a try anyway. The installer didn't work.

The error message that was in the log was "Deployment and application do not have matching security zones."

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Live Aliens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »

I have added a stand alone exe.
www.livealiens.com/dublet/dublet_standalone.zip

Is the preferred way to use stand alone executables? I used the installer because it is based on XNA and it would install that if it was not installed already. Either way, I updated the original message to have both.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 10:31:28 PM »

I have added a stand alone exe.
www.livealiens.com/dublet/dublet_standalone.zip

Is the preferred way to use stand alone executables? I used the installer because it is based on XNA and it would install that if it was not installed already. Either way, I updated the original message to have both.

I can't speak for other people, but for me any sort of portable version of a game is much-preferred, whether it's a single file or just a zipped archive of the game files. It makes giving feedback on multiple versions of a game much easier and doesn't clutter up my registry or my list of installed programs.

Anyway, I gave the game a try.

-The first thing I noticed was that the mouse movement felt strange. It's not even close to being a game-breaker or anything, but I just feel like there's a very small delay in the movement or something.

-Level 1 was fine. It seemed a bit basic but, it was all right.

-Level 2 was...practically the same and felt unnecessary. It just had me wanting to get to the real gameplay.

-Level 3 was challenging, and I like that you bump up the challenge pretty early on. It felt like it required trial and error, though. Have you considered giving players a list of all the tiles/pieces that will be coming up? If I'm going to come up with the right pattern, it can help to know what pieces I'll need to fit in and I'd rather not just have to try five times to find out that info. The fact that the pieces are given to me in a random order also seems to encourage trial and error, since I don't know at first how many of each piece I'll be needing to place. In level 3, for example, there's a red piece that only shows up once. If that's my first piece I might place it in a spot thinking that I'll need to make a pattern with red pieces when in reality it's not part of a pattern at all. I do think that the random order works to keep players from just memorizing where they clicked last time, but I still feel like it works against the game to just show the next piece and not all the upcoming pieces.

-I don't really like that pieces rotate in different directions when they're the same type. I feel like some already look too similar, so it's weird to have different ones sometimes look more alike at a glance than ones that are actually the same do. I feel like it should be the opposite, with different types rotating at their own speeds and in specific directions. Maybe you did that to make it trickier, but I like being able to "read" the board at a glance.

-I like the graphics as well as the font used for the interface.

-The music is pretty good, although maybe on too short a loop for me.

-It would be nice to be able to go back and view the instructions again for a group of levels. I thought I understood "The Twin" but then I went and put two things next to one another that were alike and it told me that was wrong.

-The Rover levels confused me at first because I wasn't sure if I was still supposed to use Twin rules or just Independent rules. I think that's mainly an issue of the level groups seeming like they use completely separate mechanics when they're really just building on one another. It wasn't clear at all to me that the outlines of the pieces were what decided their rules. Maybe a slightly different interior shape would be good (ex. make the colored part octagonal or something).

-I expected to drag Rovers rather than clicking them. Maybe they should respond to the cursor passing over them and be made to look "clickable" in some way when that happens (Maybe darken them like you do with the other pieces?).

-This is a tiny thing, but it felt weird to have the Covert still be hidden when I'd completed the level. I expected it to be revealed again and show my nice, completed pattern.

-I found the Imposter section a little bit pointless. It doesn't feel any different from the earlier puzzles. The outlines you have to look at is a bit smaller, but it doesn't change anything.

-"The food you eat has a huge impact on the brains performance." - This sentence is missing an apostrophe. By the way, I really like these little bits of brain-related trivia.

-Other than the Imposter section, I really like the rules you've set up for the pieces.

I tried most of the first level group and at least one or two levels from every other group, but always got annoyed by the trial-and-error element. Often, I'd be so close and then the last few pieces that I couldn't have predicted would screw up my whole pattern. When that didn't happen, though, I thought it seemed like a pretty good game. I really like the concept and it's got a really nice visual style.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:37:02 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Live Aliens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad your overall impression is good. I have commented on a few specific things:

-Level 3 was challenging, and I like that you bump up the challenge pretty early on. It felt like it required trial and error, though. Have you considered giving players a list of all the tiles/pieces that will be coming up? If I'm going to come up with the right pattern, it can help to know what pieces I'll need to fit in and I'd rather not just have to try five times to find out that info. The fact that the pieces are given to me in a random order also seems to encourage trial and error, since I don't know at first how many of each piece I'll be needing to place. In level 3, for example, there's a red piece that only shows up once. If that's my first piece I might place it in a spot thinking that I'll need to make a pattern with red pieces when in reality it's not part of a pattern at all. I do think that the random order works to keep players from just memorizing where they clicked last time, but I still feel like it works against the game to just show the next piece and not all the upcoming pieces.
I will look into different ways of presenting the pieces. Since I am inspired by jigsaw puzzles on this, perhaps showing all the pieces at once on the side and having the player drag them in is worth trying out.

-It would be nice to be able to go back and view the instructions again for a group of levels. I thought I understood "The Twin" but then I went and put two things next to one another that were alike and it told me that was wrong.
Good point. I will add a place to review the instructions.

-The Rover levels confused me at first because I wasn't sure if I was still supposed to use Twin rules or just Independent rules. I think that's mainly an issue of the level groups seeming like they use completely separate mechanics when they're really just building on one another. It wasn't clear at all to me that the outlines of the pieces were what decided their rules. Maybe a slightly different interior shape would be good (ex. make the colored part octagonal or something).

-I expected to drag Rovers rather than clicking them. Maybe they should respond to the cursor passing over them and be made to look "clickable" in some way when that happens (Maybe darken them like you do with the other pieces?).
You are right I do stray from the "border defines the rule" here and will revisit the visuals on this one.

-This is a tiny thing, but it felt weird to have the Covert still be hidden when I'd completed the level. I expected it to be revealed again and show my nice, completed pattern.
Will fix this.

-I found the Imposter section a little bit pointless. It doesn't feel any different from the earlier puzzles. The outlines you have to look at is a bit smaller, but it doesn't change anything.
The imposter can be toggled between the Twin and the Independent. It randomly picks a state at the start. You probably got lucky and it was the correct state to start with. I think the first imposter level should always be in the wrong state and make it clearer that you toggle the states.

-"The food you eat has a huge impact on the brains performance." - This sentence is missing an apostrophe. By the way, I really like these little bits of brain-related trivia.
Will fix this.
Live Aliens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:04:38 PM »

I have uploaded a new version of the game. I have updated the screenshots and added a change list to the original message.
Live Aliens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:38:41 AM »

I have updated the download link with the latest binary. There are many big changes with this one. The biggest is rethinking of the Rover piece. Now the rover starts in the place that it should end at. It will move around the board randomly each time a piece is placed. You can tap it to force a move. The idea is to trap this piece and force it back as you lay down the pieces.

Other changes: I switch from a software rendered mouse cursor to hardware, this fixes the delay issue mentioned. Added some more music, animations on the pieces moving and many others. See change list on first post for full list of changes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic