Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:02:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Languages within Unity
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Languages within Unity  (Read 695 times)
JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:00:56 AM »

I'm trying to get started with Game Development and want to get some advice from the masses. I have pretty significant programming experience and am trying to determine which language to use within Unity. Are there any downsides to using one of the scripting languages over C#? Is C# good to learn in general in the realm of game development?

Thanks for the responses!
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:13:02 AM »

Hi,

I use C# in Unity mainly because it seemed the obvious choice for me.
Although the unity C# script are spécific to unity most of your code could re-used in other program.
As well as some free C# code.

The UnityScript is more or less a modified version of javascript which makes it less clean IMHO than C#.

And the Boo option... well I nearly never found any real-work code done with it.

Regarding the landscape of game game programming, C# could also be used with MonoGame and the Playstation SDK.

To summerize, go with C# at least within Unity Grin

JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply! Sounds like C# makes sense for me.
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »

Support for Boo will be dropped in Unity 5.0 .. so i would at least recommend not going with Boo.
shyamguth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »

I agree with the post above, and would recommend C#.

When I started with Unity, I first used UnityScript because I thought it was basically JavaScript. The more I used it, the more I realized it is not really JavaScript at all, and is instead a custom language for Unity with JavaScript-like syntax. On the other hand, C# is a general-purpose programming language with lots of applications outside of Unity, so IMO it is more appealing due to its broader base.

You will find many of the assets/plugins from the asset store written in C# as well. While it is possible to use libraries written in C# with your own UnityScript code, I've found it easier to write my own code in C# from the beginning so that I don't have to deal with compilation order problems.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic