Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:51:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLook Out! [Basic Gameplay Demo]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Look Out! [Basic Gameplay Demo]  (Read 709 times)
zRev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »

Mac/Linux users need to to rename the Game.exe to Game.jar to play!

This is an early concept of a game I've been working on. I thought it's a pretty interesting idea for a game and I would love to get feedback on the idea/gameplay (not particularly the flawed physics Tongue because I'm quite aware of that haha)

Concept:
Get your player(s) (depending on difficulty) across the map by placing objects to help the player(s) avoid obstacles. You don't control the players directly, the objects do!

Download here: http://zrevgames.com/

Controls:
Left Click: Place Item
Right Click: Remove Item
Mouse scroll / 1-9: Change selected item
G - Enter Level Editor

Screenshot:

Please leave me your feedback!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:50:09 AM by zRev » Logged
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:25:43 PM »

oh it's lemmings

is this actually on mac or are you just torturing mac users

zRev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »

oh it's lemmings

is this actually on mac or are you just torturing mac users

I'd say it has a lot of aspects of Lemmings certainly, but I feel since it's a sidescroller with a slightly more "real-time" feel it's sort of on it's own (at least as far as my research has found Tongue).

Also, forgot to mention you just need to change the .exe to .jar for mac users.

I'll edit my post. Thanks for the reply!
quisseh
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »

Hi zRev!

I had fun with this.

I won't comment on the collision issues, since you seem to be aware. Wink

Before I get to gameplay, I will make one graphics-related comment: I would like the "speed up" and "slow down" options to have more fitting/obvious icons. I had no idea that "lightning bolt" meant "speed up" or "brown hand" meant "slow down" until I tried them. What if, for example, "speed up" became a rocket icon? When you activate it, the little astronaut guy gets a rocket (jetpack) on his back and he lunges forward. In this case, the action (activating the rocket item) clearly corresponds to the feedback (player literally gets a rocket and increases speed).

Anyway, this is a nice mechanic, and I think you can do a lot with it. Being able to place items well in advance allows the player to build up a strategy and watch it play out moments later. The existing items complement the obstacles and add to the difficulty: the green teleportation device can get you over some obstacles but you have to time them properly to dodge spike obstacles; the ladder is a bit safer to use to get over some obstacles, but you pay for that safety in a loss in speed. Adding more obstacles and corresponding items can make this game very interesting.

One idea I had while playing: what if you added pitfall obstacles? If the player falls through one, they will fall into the track below them. In that case, you will have to control two characters or more characters on the same track. If they fall through the bottom track, they would die (obviously). To combat this, you could use your green teleportation device to hop over the pitfall or you can add a bridge item. Just an idea.

One thing you might want to be careful with is pacing. When I first started the game I was a bit overwhelmed. Managing three tracks at once at the current scrolling speed while trying to figure out the items is a bit much. Instead, maybe you could start the player out with one just one track at a slightly slower speed, and as they progress you can add more tracks/items/obstacles/speed. Later in the game you could even have tracks that move at different speeds or tracks with entirely different visuals to really screw up the player. Grin

Anyway, I hope that feedback helps in some way. Good work!
zRev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »

Hi zRev!

I had fun with this.

I won't comment on the collision issues, since you seem to be aware. Wink

Before I get to gameplay, I will make one graphics-related comment: I would like the "speed up" and "slow down" options to have more fitting/obvious icons. I had no idea that "lightning bolt" meant "speed up" or "brown hand" meant "slow down" until I tried them. What if, for example, "speed up" became a rocket icon? When you activate it, the little astronaut guy gets a rocket (jetpack) on his back and he lunges forward. In this case, the action (activating the rocket item) clearly corresponds to the feedback (player literally gets a rocket and increases speed).

Anyway, this is a nice mechanic, and I think you can do a lot with it. Being able to place items well in advance allows the player to build up a strategy and watch it play out moments later. The existing items complement the obstacles and add to the difficulty: the green teleportation device can get you over some obstacles but you have to time them properly to dodge spike obstacles; the ladder is a bit safer to use to get over some obstacles, but you pay for that safety in a loss in speed. Adding more obstacles and corresponding items can make this game very interesting.

One idea I had while playing: what if you added pitfall obstacles? If the player falls through one, they will fall into the track below them. In that case, you will have to control two characters or more characters on the same track. If they fall through the bottom track, they would die (obviously). To combat this, you could use your green teleportation device to hop over the pitfall or you can add a bridge item. Just an idea.

One thing you might want to be careful with is pacing. When I first started the game I was a bit overwhelmed. Managing three tracks at once at the current scrolling speed while trying to figure out the items is a bit much. Instead, maybe you could start the player out with one just one track at a slightly slower speed, and as they progress you can add more tracks/items/obstacles/speed. Later in the game you could even have tracks that move at different speeds or tracks with entirely different visuals to really screw up the player. Grin

Anyway, I hope that feedback helps in some way. Good work!

Thank you so much for the feedback! It really means a lot to me that you took the time to write this up!

The graphics are something I certainly need to improve on, but I like the idea of a rocket/jetpack/booster, it's something I will have to look into drawing.

I was planning on adding pitfalls where if you fell you die, but I like your idea 5000x better! I will definitely add this into the game Smiley

As for pacing, this was designed to incorporate a lot of concepts so it's quite a bit harder than what I imagine the starting levels will be. I'm thinking about starting with 1 player and adding more as the levels progress (obviously making the level designs harder as you progress as well).

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback it is greatly appreciated!!
monsterkillu
Level 0

An Indie from India

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »

Idea is indeed fresh. But i felt it a bit dragging after a while. I believe its always kind of hard to keep track of 3 characters at a time. Currently i couldn't think of anything that might improve this and make this interesting. I think it need some elements if it is going to keep the interest in the players.. I hope you will figure that out somehow. good luck.

Monster Brain Games (c)

Play Test : A Puzzle Journey : Puzzle Platformer for android - Play Test Demo

Checkout my games on PlayStore - [url=http://bit.ly/mb
zRev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »

Idea is indeed fresh. But i felt it a bit dragging after a while. I believe its always kind of hard to keep track of 3 characters at a time. Currently i couldn't think of anything that might improve this and make this interesting. I think it need some elements if it is going to keep the interest in the players.. I hope you will figure that out somehow. good luck.

Thank you for the reply! I'm really glad you think the idea is fresh :D

I am certainly going to focus on making sure the game stays interesting. Currently there isn't too much diversity in what you can actually do because I'm still ironing out some details on what I want the final product to be, but I can already see a lot of different ideas coming together to make the game really fun.

Also, thanks for the good luck.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic