Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 06:19:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Lion's Song [Point & Click Short Story]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Lion's Song [Point & Click Short Story]  (Read 2229 times)
LeafThief
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »

G E N E R A L
The Lion's Song was originally conceived for Ludum Dare 30 in 72h.
I'm now working on an extended version with overall more content and a few puzzles while trying to still keep it fairly short.
You can download the Ludum Dare version (let's call it a demo) here:

S T O R Y
Somewhere deep in the Austrian Alps. Wilma is a composer, fresh off the University of Applied Arts in Vienna, about to compose her greatest piece yet. But all of a sudden her creativity hits a wall. She has now come here, to this recluse place, to get back that spark, to be inspired.

I D E A
The idea is that the relatively new technology of the telephone connects people throughout the world. Based on a very naive understanding on how phones worked at the time I'm planning to give the player the opportunity to phone odd places and odd people who help her find inspiration in the calls and around her. This should finally help her achieve her composition.
The song in the end will vary depending on what you used as inspiration and whom you called.  So you could also call this a narrative sequencer? Wink

The Lion's Song Devlog - 1910 Point & Click Adventure
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:24:20 PM »

real dang cute!
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »

it's only for windows

please release for os x

thanks <3

(the art looks great)

LeafThief
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:01:12 AM »

Hey quick update after the weekend:

I've been doing some structuring and thinking. I would like the game to have a clear emotional arch that the player plays and feels through alongside Wilma (the protagonist). At the same time I want to tell more about her. My current plan is to add persons who call her as well as dream-sections. These additional scenarios are meant to deepen the story and provide more possibilities to flesh out / change the song that will come out at the end.

I've also been working on two new backgrounds: University (for dream sequences) and Pub (for additional callers)

@rj: I'm using Adventure Game Studio to make this game. Unfortunately the engine only support Windows builds Sad

Bobert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:02:04 AM »

dang dude, as soon as i saw that first screenshot i was sold. there aren't too many games around here focusing on narrative compared to all the mechanics-driven stuff so i'm definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 01:44:31 AM »

I meant to post here before (was holding off until after trying the demo) but I'll just say now: I absolutely love the looks of the game through the screens I've seen so far. I haven't tried the Ludum Dare version/demo yet, but I intend to before long, and I'll give more extensive feedback then!

LeafThief
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:13:01 AM »

Short update:
Okay. Busy busy. So I've been talking to some friends and had a longer chat with my brother (who happens to be my harshest critic so far) and I've been told that I was about to ruin the experience of the game. Everybody told me pretty much something similar to what Josiah commented on, that everything I'd add in terms of characters and locations would diminish the experience the demo builds. They told me it's about these two people and the story between them and not (as I thought for a long time) about Wilma (the protagonist) alone.

This means I am refocusing the work on:

• bug fixes
  • animations
  • sounds & music
  • dialog

I've started on the animations and the sound and it's coming along quite nicely, preview update later this week Smiley

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:49:47 AM »

Beautiful game as it is. Looking forward to new version.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »

This was one of my favourite LD entries. I thought then how great it would be to expand the mechanics over a longer story and lo! you're doing just that. Smiley

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »

I absolutely adore the visual style!

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
LeafThief
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »

Hey everyone thanks for the cool comments. I've had somewhat of a downtime in the project but have now picked up work again.

What has happened in the past few weeks:

• Revamping the phone dialog system (you'll be able to stay on the phone but not say anything)
  • Improving the idle animations and fixing a bug in the animations
  • A small system to change backgrounds to improve the representation of thunder
  • Fleshing out the background story of Wilma
  • Preparing a smarter system for keeping track of objects.
  • New sound effects and ambience (I'm still trying to tackle the looping issue I had in the demo)
  • Extending the list of inspiring objects

I hope I can get a momentum going again.

iamwhatonearth
Level 0

Find me on tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »

It looks cute!

Find me on Tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com
Find me on Deviantart: whatonearth.deviantart.com
The game I'm making: thetowncalleddata.weebly.com
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »

so um look this is unorthodox but the original dev actually released the first episode of this on steam. since they seem AWOL on tigs (it's been almost two whole fucking years?) i thought i might as well inform everyone, since i wouldn't have found it if not for me cleaning out my new replies and finding this again.

you can grab it here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/437160/

it's windows only atm, but, yeah. i'm definitely going to be checking this out since...it looks gorgeous and wonderful. also it's free? i'm assuming the rest of the episodes won't be, given the price for the season pass, but...hey. hecka nice demo, at least.

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »

The first episode is free and its really great, check it out.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic