Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:09:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat do you do when you find a game very similar to yours?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What do you do when you find a game very similar to yours?  (Read 1797 times)
level20wizard
Level 0

Don't do memes

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:12:30 PM »

I have been working on my first project for 2 and a half months now. As with every creative endeavour I do, something very very similar pops up a bit later. That's not to say the concept of my game is simple or generic (if that was the case I think similarities wouldn't matter). I am worried about this because the concept of the game is very weird and out there, has a specific playstyle and a subtle story. Even the quote at the beginning of my game is at the start of the other game. What should I do about this? Should I just keep working on my game the way it is, or do you think it would be a big deal?
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »

Lots of people keep saying my game looks a lot like 1: Lone Survivor and 2: Silent Hill. Which is great for me, because those games have huge fan-bases that are starved for games like that. Lone Survivor ain't getting a sequel and Silent Hill has apparently been crappy for years, though I kind of disagree.

Difference is the storyline and feel of the game. Now I don't know what you think is so similar about your game and whatever this other game is, but if that other game isn't getting a sequel then I'd say you're fine (though that quote you said was at the start of the game or whatever can look hacky).

I mean, you wouldn't make a blatant copy of Final Fantasy would you? Every JRPG that comes out has to do something different from Final Fantasy just to say they're different, but if they don't then that fanbase of that specific genre might as well be playing Final Fantasy cause there's like a billion Final Fantasy games.

Now, Lone Survivor is so unique that even a blatant "copy" of the game (Claire) can still be regarded as very good. And people buy Claire, because they liked Lone Survivor but have nothing else to play like it. Also, this is taken from Claire's Steam page, from a review: "...better Silent Hill than the last three Silent Hills." So now, like I said, you've got Silent Hill and Lone Survivor fans, who are in a starved fanbase, buying and playing Claire. It may take heavily from those games with its own twist, but they still love it.

Now take something like Candy Crush, say you copied that... so fucking what it's a Candy Crush clone, it's equivalent to garbage.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:28:38 PM by Mustaklaki » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »

Silent Hill has apparently been crappy for years, though I kind of disagree.

ok if you found anything redeemable beyond 'just ok' status for anything past silent hill 4 then i'm genuinely curious as to why beyond 'it was pretty sometimes'

mind you, silent hills is likely gonna revert this probalo

---

re: the topic; i get really worried, start trying to figure out what exactly about my game is unique, then realize after a time that it doesn't fucking matter as long as the final game is good and just keep making the fucking thing

Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

Never, but question engineer's judgement

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »

I think that this simply something you have to live with, when you start creating anything... you cannot avoid that, just simply create a better game than copycats.

I'm not a insane, my mother had me tested

I'm an engineer. To save time, just assume I'm never wrong
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:05:49 AM »

[...] it doesn't fucking matter as long as the final game is good and just keep making the fucking thing

@op
I don't understand what you trying to say, but if the quote is similar with the other game, just simply swap it to something different, or just ask yourself "do i need these?"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:49:03 AM by Leon Fook » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:51:06 AM »

just make the game you were making and ignore the world

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:48:30 AM »

ohh shit i should make it clear that i was referring to the OP, and your word is just perfect for what i believe. qft or some sort.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:08:11 AM »

i know it's a bit of a downer to find out your game isn't as original as you thought, but these are just things you'll have to live with.

i mean, do you think your game is somehow worthless now that you know a similar one exists or are you still into it and are just worried about people calling it a ripoff? if the answer is the the latter, then i say stick with it.

dragonslumber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »

I don't believe that concepts and idea have much value in general. I'm working on a JRPG, and there are a ton of those out there, it's not an original idea. What's original is the actual execution of the game, the mechanics, the way information is presented to the player, the pacing of the story.  If I say "Horror avoidance FPS", Amnesia: Dark Descent and Outlast are both examples of that game, they have similar mechanics, but the result is different enough to make them interesting and distinctive in their own rights.

I wouldn't worry too much about other people coming to some of the same answers as you, a few elements doesn't make a game. It's the ensemble that matters, the quality and originality of the entire execution.

Arelite Core, coming to a PC near you (hopefully yours) in 2015, www.arelitecore.com
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 05:59:33 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much. Almost all high quality creative work draws on existing sources for inspiration.

Sabaku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »

Cry a little and then go on!  Gomez

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »

Don't sweat it.

If your creative vision overlaps with someone else's, who cares?  If you're really worried, just put more effort in and polish, polish, polish!

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Unplayables
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »

Sometimes this is actually a boon, because both your games will be catching attention to a similar thing. Much like similar movies sometimes come out. It gives people something to talk about and compare them.

It's really good for shops too, to be located next to competitors. If you find something like this, I'd say reach out and do join promotion if possible.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 11:31:14 AM »

Make yours better, or at the very least, make it so it's different. Don't worry about it too much.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »

Oww... that's a horrible feeling, man.
I've had it a couple of times when I've found something too close to my game (or idea of a game).

When it happens with a game i'm currently working on, i don't sweat it. Most likely our implementations are different enough and i'll try to set them apart on what I can.

When it happens with a game idea... ouch, that is a painful lesson... that i should be working on my games instead of just dreaming about them. "See?! You should be working!"

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 12:53:50 AM »

Send them a message and start dating
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 02:07:30 PM »

battlerager meant to send them a message with one of their fiancee fingers and warn them to no copy you anymore or else...

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »

no he meant to fall in love and have a mushy torrid romance

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 03:01:38 AM »

no he meant to fall in love and have a mushy torrid romance
ofc this

Surely it was meant to be if both your minds cooked up the same idea stew
level20wizard
Level 0

Don't do memes

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 03:04:15 AM »

Send them a message and start dating

ok

Anyway, I am keeping working on my game! I had to create my own physics system just to get this idea to work, so... I'll just keep going. Also, yes to the person who said to polish! I like polishing the game and adding little details, like an animated cursor that interacts with where it is in game. Just things like that are fun to implement and add to the overall feel of the game.

offtopic but how to I write the gomez animation ? :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:09:39 AM by level20wizard » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic