Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:46:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAuro : A Monster-Bumping Adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Auro : A Monster-Bumping Adventure  (Read 1251 times)
DinofarmGames
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2014, 01:53:35 AM »

Auro: A Monster-Bumping Adventure is a turn based, randomly generated tactical game that does a lot of new things. Also: it's all about BUMPING monsters into the water. Watch the trailer!

It's also super super replayable. I daresay, it's probably one of the most replayable single player games ever made. This is because it's SUPER deep, but also because it has its own expandable dynamic difficulty system, that's a lot like an ELO ladder system, but offline and single player. The mode in question is called PLAY MODE, and here's how it works:

You play a placement match, and it places you (just like League of Legends or something!) Then, you start playing games. When you win enough games, you go up in rank, and the game gets harder. Losing games a lot makes you go down in rank, and the game gets easier.

Overall, this means that the game is constantly trying to bring you to a 50% win ratio - which sounds like a no-brainer when it comes to multiplayer games, but have you ever even heard of that being the case in a single player game? I haven't, really.

Here's some screenshots!

Zam!

Bam!

Wham!

If you're interested in checking the game out, you can get it NOW on Google Play. Soon, it will be out on iOS (here's the story on that: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/auros-releasing-today-on-android/).

Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.DinofarmAuro

Thanks. And I'll be here to chat about the game if anyone has questions or comments or anything.

PS: hey hey TIGForums! I've actually been around here for awhile. My name is Keith Burgun, and I'm the lead designer of 100 Rogues. We just finally released our game Auro, which we had been working on for nearly four years. Actually check it out, here's a super-old thread from 2011: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22846.msg682421#msg682421

It's so old, that I hope mods don't mind if I make a new one; I know some forums have rules about bumping 3-year-old threads. If it's a problem, feel free to combine them, or whatever you think is best.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:35:41 PM by DinofarmGames » Logged
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:41:30 AM »

I enjoyed 100 Rogues, but I hope I don't come across as too cynical here:
"super super replayable", "one of the most replayable single player games ever made", "SUPER deep" doesn't really tell me much about the game. How is it replayable and deep? Upgrades, summons, skill trees, RPG mechanics, different equipment, different weapons, etc, etc.?

I like the look. I love games like Hoplite, 868-Hack, The Nightmare Cooperative. What makes Auro unique gameplay and mechanics-wise?
And any estimate to when the IOS version is releasing, cause I'm definitely looking forward to this. The hex map and bumping gives me some strong Hoplite vibes

Oh, and didn't you work on Empire? I just discovered that game a few weeks ago, absolutely fantastic. Even wrote an article about it:
http://gamemob.com/news/indie-mobile-impressions-empire-deck-building-strategy/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:47:19 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Gagz9k
Level 0

Part of LudunPactum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »

I've been following the art for a while. I absolutely LOVE the logo. I totally will play this game later this week, and I'm hoping to be equally amazed by it's gameplay.

DinofarmGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »

Yep, I designed Empire, although it was developed by a different team (Crazy Monkey Studios).

Auro's gameplay has a small amount of elements, all centered around the core mechanism of bumping (pushing actors back into hazards). Everything in the game supports this. So you have these spells that you cast, and some of them create slippery ice floe. Ice floe causes actors, when bumped, to slide all the way to the end of the ice floe, so you can do a lot with that. Also you can use floe to walk out over water, and do other stuff, like trick Heavy actors into falling through the frozen water.

Or some abilities create Currents, which cause actors to bounce when they're bumped into (or out of) them. Monsters can bounce several times on the heads of other monsters / on pillars which can be pretty funny sometimes.

The abilities all really synergize with each other a lot so that there's just a huge amount of room for strategy and skill building. Emergent complexity galore. We worked on the game for 4 years, and we had some really great beta testers who helped us on a years-long journey through making and remaking and remaking and remaking the skills until they were - as I said - super deep!

One of the big things we did was get rid of a ton of the chaff from these kinds of games. By chaff, I mean "equipping the +2 sword over the +1 sword", or "walking down a long hallway" or "tapping on an adjacent enemy repeatedly until he dies". Once we got rid of that chaff, that made it really easy for us to identify imbalances and anything about the gameplay that was flat or not-deep.

Glad you like the art - it's all by Blake Reynolds, Dinofarm Games' lead artist.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »

That sounds awesome, a very focused and tactical experience. Will definitely be getting this as soon as it's available on IOS. Any estimated date for that release?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DinofarmGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »

I really have no idea. I assume less than a month, but it's totally out of our control; we're waiting on Adobe to fix a compatibility bug.

Details here: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/auros-releasing-today-on-android/
DinofarmGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:25:19 AM »

Hey, how about that - it was A LOT MORE THAN A MONTH.... Blegh. If anyone's curious, we had an unnecessary AS3 wrapper that we were injecting our actual game into and Apple really didn't like that.

Anyway, we've taken this time to dramatically improve the game in just about every way. We just added a tutorial to the game that *doesn't* suck, for instance. I've also been honing the balance for the highest skill players we have (Rank Master 5 is the highest I've seen so far).

Here's a new dramatic, thematic video we just made for the iOS launch:

Thanks for your patience everyone. I promise this game will be worth it!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:46:30 PM by DinofarmGames » Logged
DinofarmGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »

Hello, friends and loved ones at TIGForums. Sorry to "bump" this thread, but Auro: A Monster-Bumping Adventure has just been released on the iOS App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/auro-monster-bumping-adventure/id912559144
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic