Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:53:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNEON KRIEGER YAMATO (pixelart co-op platformer/fighting game/brawler)[GREENLIT]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: NEON KRIEGER YAMATO (pixelart co-op platformer/fighting game/brawler)[GREENLIT]  (Read 6444 times)
lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »

Neon Krieger Yamato [GREENLIT]

Neon Krieger Yamato is a local co-op (Up to 2 players) arcadey blend of a fighting game, platformer, and beat 'em up.  The game has a large emphasis on combos, juggles, fast paced action, and small combat "puzzles."  You can select a unique character with their own set of moves to cater to your personal preference.

Here's some gifs of the game in action -

Developer
It's just me.  I'm primarily a web/graphic designer doing this as moonlight work.  I'm currently using Construct2 to build the game.

Influences
Street Fighter, Megaman, Strider, Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, Streets of Rage, Akira, Metal Gear, Metal Slug.  Essentially Capcom and Neogeo classics from the 90s.

The game has already been greenlit, it's just a matter of finishing now.  Thanks for looking!

GAME WEBSITE

TWITTER

STEAM PAGE
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:58:29 AM by lionplex » Logged

Neon Krieger Yamato - WEBSITE / DEVLOG / STEAM GREENLIGHT
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »

Looks cool!

I like how it looks as though you've kept the game centered around the core combo system, as you use combo attacks even for such activities as turning gears or disarming devices.

I hate to be that guy, but right away when I saw this I thought "Will there be multiplayer?"

Any plans to include co-op or competitive multiplayer? (Local or otherwise?)

EDIT: Also it has to be said that it "Neon Krieger Yamato" is one of the best titles of this decade. I challenge anyone to say that without at least WANTING to sound like a furious sumo wrestler calling out their arch nemesis.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:26:39 AM by Low_Chance » Logged
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 06:13:31 PM »

Whoa, this looks gorgeous.  My Word!

But the poster before me made a good point. I can already see how you're wrapping the game around the combo/combat system. You can already see something of a clear direction for the game from just these few screenshots. Alongside the incredible pixel art I see here, this platformer looks like something I could sink my teeth into. Don't prove me wrong, OK? Giggle
Flatgub
Level 0

My existence is questionable at best

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »

This looks Awesome!
Mainly posting to follow but i'd just like to say the pixel art you have here is beautiful!

lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:05:06 AM »

Thanks for looking, appreciate the feedback!

I like how it looks as though you've kept the game centered around the core combo system, as you use combo attacks even for such activities as turning gears or disarming devices.

Some people have suggested adding an 'interacting' animation for stuff like the switches/devices, but I prefer just using attacks.  I want it to feel like constant action, not worrying about getting hit during a 'use' animation.  Plus a lot of the switch type stuff has an effect where the more you hit it, the longer it stays on, although I'm not sure if I convey that very well right now.

Any plans to include co-op or competitive multiplayer? (Local or otherwise?)

I'm definitely thinking about adding a local smash bros type fighting mode later, but I'm scared just thinking about the balancing.  For either local co-op or a fighting mode, it'd probably using the boss sprites as playable characters, and Yamato would just be a single non-customizable character.  A lot of the bosses will be similar in pixel size to Yamato so I can map them to player controls in the future. 

Also it has to be said that it "Neon Krieger Yamato" is one of the best titles of this decade. I challenge anyone to say that without at least WANTING to sound like a furious sumo wrestler calling out their arch nemesis.

Haha thanks.  A lot of the bosses / other characters will have similar zany names.  Super Dreadnought Kang, Nuclear Vampire Araxis, Tanuki Sharpshooter Irene, etc...

Alongside the incredible pixel art I see here, this platformer looks like something I could sink my teeth into. Don't prove me wrong, OK? Giggle

I'll definitely try my hardest not to

Mainly posting to follow but i'd just like to say the pixel art you have here is beautiful!

Thanks!

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:59:20 AM »

For either local co-op or a fighting mode, it'd probably using the boss sprites as playable characters, [...]

More than just their sprites, make them have their "boss" moves...?

Hand Money Left Kiss Hand Money Right
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:07:36 AM by Low_Chance » Logged
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »

Game is looking awesome. Exactly my kind of platformer. Not enough with good fighting systems.

Any insight you can give us on the fighting system? Do you use a state machine class? How do you define your frame data? What kind of stuff do you put in your frame data? (EX stun, invincible etc)

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »

fuckkkkkkk i love that pixel art so much

the game itself is beautiful

i do think the box art/whatever it is needs some more consideration, though, the macromedia flash vibe doesn't gel with the game's very polished animation and pixel art

lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »

Any insight you can give us on the fighting system? Do you use a state machine class? How do you define your frame data? What kind of stuff do you put in your frame data? (EX stun, invincible etc)

Hmm, I've got states for stuff like standing, crouching, in the air, knocked down, being juggled, etc.  During specific animation frames of a move I'll decide invincibility, and create attack boxes, and they contain stuff like damage, priority, duration of a stun if it hits, if it launches, knocks down, sucks them in, scoops enemies that are knocked down, how much it pushes them away, or lifts them for a juggle, etc.  Not really sure if this is the best method but it's working well for me so far.

i do think the box art/whatever it is needs some more consideration, though, the macromedia flash vibe doesn't gel with the game's very polished animation and pixel art

Haha, that's the best promo pic I've got so far.  I noticed a lot of Famicom box art had a lot of flat, cel-shaded illustrations so that was my main inspiration.  Or maybe it's some repressed influence from Dragonball Z?  I definitely want to try to do a more painterly promo pic later on once I've got the characters/settings all figured out.

Here's another gif, it's got a basic idea of how text/dialogue appears in the game right now.  Text is just filler for now.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »

A part of me wants to see some sort of indication to how much damage is being done when I watch this stuff; combos mean significantly more or less based on the damage of each attack in the sequence.

I watched the gameplay promo by the way. Still looking good.

And I personally think that promo art looks great. My opinion.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Left
lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »

Noticed during playtesting that a lot of people didn't grasp that special moves used up energy, or that there was even an energy system right off the bat.  Changed the UI so the health/energy bars are larger and centered at the bottom closer to the character, with a yellow frame to make them a bit more prominent.  Also added a chunky/flashy animation when energy is spent or regained to try and make it clearer what's happening.  Also added different options for regaining energy for the player to choose from.

I'm also considering scrapping the customization system entirely, and just have different characters(bosses as they get unlocked) to choose from.  Distinct character graphics with a baked in playstyle might be more enticing than choosing from a list of moves.

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »

I'm also considering scrapping the customization system entirely, and just have different characters(bosses as they get unlocked) to choose from.  Distinct character graphics with a baked in playstyle might be more enticing than choosing from a list of moves.

Using baked-in styles has some definite advantages. What you lose in customization, you gain in accessibility. Also you remove the trap of choosing poorly-coordinated moves that result in a bad/much harder experience. Further, it allows you to include some moves that are much better/worse than others, because they can be offset by being paired with a compensating strong/weak move for the same character, so your creative space for different move mechanics opens up a lot.

It would also be good if you go the route of having multiple playable characters.

Maybe customization could take a different form, like items that grant a speed/range/damage/energy use boost, a double jump, etc. etc. instead?
lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »

Changed the game to more of a true arcadey, jump in co-op type.  Pick a character, fight the other characters as bosses with their personal levels, maybe in a random order.  Really like it a lot better this way, since I wasn't too keen on writing some great story for just 1 character.  Having a fun cast to pick from with some light storyish tidbits like a fighting game is more palatable to me.

New playable character - Sharpshooter Irene

Small sample of co-op in action.  Had to capture this playing both controllers so I couldn't get a 'nice moment'

Early design for the player select screen.  The characters cycle through their moveset to hopefully give a little passive instruction before you pick.  Also not really digging the portrait art I have at the moment...

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »

OK, when you said something about ditching customization I was a little disappointed, but I like what I see of the new character stuff and the easy pick-up-n-play style I can go for; I know personally I can get waaaaay bogged down in customization details if its not done well, particularly when as a perfectionist I have a small subset of superior moves but I want to find some way to effectively use the clearly cooler gimmick sitting in the corner Big Laff. And as already stated, I'm sure it'll make things a little more balanced and cohesive.

Also, now that co-op is in the picture, I'm curious: what platforms are you targeting again?

Keep up the great work!
atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 01:27:08 AM »

I guess you can't go wrong with cyborg-ninja. Love the way it is shaping out.

lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »

Took a small break playing some random games/drinking/holidays, but back to working now.

New character added, Super Dreadnought Kang

Also drew up the rest of the playable roster I'd like to have in the game..

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »

Cool cool cool. Great to see you back in action.  Ninja Hand Joystick
lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »

Created the pixel art bases for the rest of the playable roster

Current plan is to finish creating the rest of the playable roster, then focusing on creating "finished" levels.  Also thinking about when I actually want to try and send what I've got to websites / youtubers, and generally need to get better at "tweeting" and posting updates more often. 

lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 04:52:55 PM »

Added another playable character, "Blood Magister Liona."  Going to switch gears and try to create some new enemies and "finish" a level design.

lionplex
Level 0

geni yo waka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 09:06:43 AM »

Long time no post.  Here's what I've been working on since last time.

Added 3rd Strikeish parrying-

Added Super Moves as a reward for high combos-

Redid my original soldier sprites-

Worked on some new enemies-

Added some random effects like dust and explosions-

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic