Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:02:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWoman and minorities in game development
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Woman and minorities in game development  (Read 7988 times)
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2014, 06:38:10 AM »

it's not a "conspiracy" and i don't see that post painting the issue that way; what it is is simply a small example of the result of centuries of social systems brought up over time that favor men instead of women doing what they usually do without men even noticing (yet again) because men are the very people who are benefited by the system; their own advantage seems invisible as a result

When companies started seeing that they could make money with software they created the nerd stereotype to scare away women from the field so it became male-dominated.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2014, 07:20:28 AM »

% of woman in journalism/media studies = 70
% of woman in hard tech studies = 10

== many articles on how male conspire against female Wink

"boy golly gee! i sure like pretending that this discussion is invalid by ignoring it and assuming that it's just those darn silly ladies' faults for gettin' thamselves into their own mess of oppression! also this is how i talk every day, gee whirlikers, like a sitcom from 1956. howdy paw"

-tigsource poster nikki

it's not a "conspiracy" and i don't see that post painting the issue that way; what it is is simply a small example of the result of centuries of social systems brought up over time that favor men instead of women doing what they usually do without men even noticing (yet again) because men are the very people who are benefited by the system; their own advantage seems invisible as a result

When companies started seeing that they could make money with software they created the nerd stereotype to scare away women from the field so it became male-dominated.

alright i concede that that does come off as a little silly yeah; i don't think it is silly to conclude, however, that nerd stereotypes do scare women away from the field, and that those stereotypes are largely perpetuated (at a base level) by men at the very least in terms of media outreach (i mean look at who's writing the big bang theory, for instance)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:27:27 AM by rj™ » Logged

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2014, 07:35:52 AM »

the amount of fallacies in that one reply shows me the amount of truth in my post, thanks!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:42 AM »

the amount of fallacies in that one reply shows me the amount of truth in my post, thanks!

hmm

"boy golly gee! i sure like pretending that this discussion is invalid by ignoring it and assuming that it's just those darn silly ladies' faults for gettin' thamselves into their own mess of oppression! also this is how i talk every day, gee whirlikers, like a sitcom from 1956. howdy paw"

-tigsource poster nikki

hmm

% of woman in journalism/media studies = 70
% of woman in hard tech studies = 10

== many articles on how male conspire against female Wink

hmm

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »

That said, more men have grown up playing video games than women, since games are mostly catered to man and in a lot of places are still seen as a boy's thing.

There is no evidence of that, please show proof, remember that before the crash game where gender neutral, Ads reflected that.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2014, 09:06:34 AM »

That said, more men have grown up playing video games than women, since games are mostly catered to man and in a lot of places are still seen as a boy's thing.

There is no evidence of that, please show proof, remember that before the crash game where gender neutral, Ads reflected that.

True, ads also reflected that games where aimed toward adults:

Nintendo was the one that started selling consoles at toy stores and targeting kids, after the crash. And that's the generation that I'm talking about.

Well, since you mentioned ads, there were always a lot of gender neutral games and games aimed to girls like licensed Barbie games and stuff like that, but most ads I can remember from the 90s were of games with masculine motifs (fighting, wars, soldiers, cars, etc) or aimed just toward males:

And I just don't remember girls being as much into video games as boys while I was growing up, maybe it was just me.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:56 AM »

And I just don't remember girls being as much into video games as boys while I was growing up, maybe it was just me.

i knew a few girls who played videogames, but they were usually not very open about it, so i didnt find out until much later (anecdotal evidence is best evidence)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »

Actually... my aunt and my mom were the ones that introduced me to video games. I used to play Alley Cat with my aunt when I went to visit her and used to watch my mom playing Super Mario Bros when I was around 5, the NES in my house was actually hers until I started to play it a lot more than her.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »

ooh alley cat Kiss
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2014, 09:47:53 AM »

count the girls
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »

ooh alley cat Kiss

What even are you  Wink

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

I am a relic from the times political correctness wasnt fashionable 90' s kid

Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/25/5936777/childhood-video-game-photos-90s

this one is for Gymim
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »

hayzeus christo

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »

whats the problem this time? is it too nude or something, pff I really can't keep up with all these correctness rules.

So I grew up on alley cat (yes you are a boy cat, yes the goal is to rescue the girl cat and make many babies)
I take it you grew up on rugrats on the PS1 or something?
ink.inc
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »

idk anything bout anyhing but league of legends has a massive female playerbase

like, go to any college dorm and lit everyone will be playing lol

ink.inc
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »

its honestly really surprising (in a good way), but p much all my gal friends are super into it; even my 15 y/o sister is gold ranked and watches all the pro streams (shes got a big ol crush on bjergsen)

so thats cool
ink.inc
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »

idk the actual percentages but its def higher than any other "hardcore" gam out there

edit: competitive, "mlg 360 noscope" hardcore
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:04:48 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »

do yuo count WoW as "hardcore" because that has a very wide range of players (not just genderwise but also agewise)
ink.inc
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »

hmmm no i didnt, but wow isnt competitive to the same degree as lol is i dont think
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »

lol wow

wow lol

i think portal/portal 2 have an almost 50/50 female/male playerbase from what i understand + my experience but i could be wrong

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic